1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else find it hard to hide/fake emotions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, May 18, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I have never been good at hiding my emotions- I don't really have a "poker face", so if I'm upset then people know, ect.

I've never mastered the ability to look a certain way on demand (especially when it comes to being in a picture, if someone asks me to smile and I'm not feeling it, than I find it hard to smile, and if I try to smile but don't feel like smiling than it tends to end up looking rather..creepy).

It can annoy people sometimes because when I'm expected to act a certain way, (such as shocked to news I already knew, caring about a situation I don't care about, or happy when I'm not) I'm usually bad at it and people think I'm trying to be difficult. Truth is, I'm just bad at acting.

Anybody else find it hard to hide their emotions?

#1 Canterpiece, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to ''zone out'' of the situation and think of a different situation that pertains to the emotion for me.

3. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's the opposite for me. I've been faking my emotions and having to pretend that everything's fine, enough so that I don't know how to be honest or real with how I'm actually feeling.

4. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha yeah I can't really hide my emotions either. My friends usually think I'm being shady because I'm saying one thing and my face says another! Working on my confidence and not listening to what people say helps a lot :lol:

5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no ability to hide or fake them whatsoever. It could be evidence that I'm on the autistic spectrum, which I've always suspected.

6. Hunter8

I'm not sure this is a good thing, but disguising my emotions comes very naturally to me. I can understand what kind of image people want me to project, and I do that eerily well. It takes more effort than most people in my orbit realize though. Sometimes I wish I sucked more at being so guarded.

7. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If i do not make the effort to zone out or practice apathy I won't be able to hide my emotions.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, I relate to this so much!

My face is usually either too honest or doesn't seem to reflect how I'm feeling, one time I tried to friendly greet someone, but apparently my face came off as aggressive and they took offense to it. :eusa_doh:

The thing was I was trying so hard to look friendly and make a good first impression, so the fact it backfired was just annoying.

Stupid face. :dry: :eusa_doh:

#8 Canterpiece, May 18, 2017
  9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be hard for me to hide my emotions but I'm pretty good at faking my emotions.

10. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm also the exact opposite and find it to be more challenging to be true to my emotions or really even express them. There are times where I experience more extreme emotions like extreme happiness or extreme sadness and am unable to hide it but for the most part, I keep most of my emotions hidden around people besides really close friends.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not one to be effusively emotional so my face is almost always stoic. Because of this I've been told, upon first meeting, I come across as arrogant or cold. Whenever I'm required to smile (e.g. pictures or at work) it feels very awkward and unnatural.

I don't intentionally try to hide my emotions - I just don't give off a lot of facial or physical emotion. On the other hand if I tried to express a fake emotion for some reason, I would completely and utterly fail.

It would be inaccurate to say I don't feel, or that I harbor only mean thoughts toward other people and that it's "written all over my face." But like Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, I may seem one way initially but if you get to know me I'm much more genial. Faking is just against my programming. And in the past, the only way I've been able to do acting well (such as in a school project or play) was when I felt a deep connection to the character.

#11 Kodo, May 18, 2017
  12. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have this problem too, but I'm usually not even aware of what I'm feeling. I'm the last person that knows how I feel about a situation. So many people can read me very easily. It's as if I'm just working to hide how I'm feeling only to myself sometimes.

13. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me...it depends upon the situation because recently I encountered a situation where I was told something different by a supervisor of a local organization but once I met with another supervisor yesterday, I was something totally different. Therefore, the initial disappointment was shown on my face because I despise people who false pretense a situation just to get your attention.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you have depression, you get really good at it.

15. Hunter8

That's a good point, AwesomeGaytheist. I've been there too. There are times when you just have to shove down those feelings in order to get done what needs to get done on a given day. I find it helps to set aside time later when you can address those feelings.

16. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It takes a lot of practice to become inconspicuous, but I fake it so that because I hate it when people feel sorry for me. Nevertheless I find it difficult to fake it when I have very strong feelings, for example when I feel really bad I become silent and then everyone can tell that something's wrong.

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've tried this method before, but I find that for me it doesn't last very long and how I actually feel becomes obvious to others.

I find smiling in photos to feel awkward and unnatural too, whenever I try and take a photo I have to take it quite a few times because usually I tend to look really sad or bored, so often I’ll take a photo until it finally looks like I’m happy. Even then I get “why don’t you smile more in photos?”, quite a bit, ugh. I tried dammit.

#17 Canterpiece, May 18, 2017
  18. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes! I'm horrible at it. I'm one of those people who everyone can just look at and tell what they're thinking.
    That being said I've put in a lot of conscious effort in doing so in the last year. (It's kind of necessary due to some situations). I finally realized not everyone was as in love with the sound of my voice as I seemed to think, and I could get by hiding it a lot more if I simply shut up. :slight_smile: But that's just me, I'm not saying that's you.

19. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I either fake emotions automatically or I put so little thought into it that it feels automatic

Although other people often know when I'm angry before I realise it myself

20. Labgirl

It depends. I have chronic pain so I've gotten used to hiding it and giving the canned "I'm fine" when people ask how I am. I felt that most of the time they don't really want to know. I am finding it harder to hide my emotions as I get older. It's just too much work!