1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To what extent does your sexuality define you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, May 21, 2017.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What are your thoughts on this? Personally I feel it is a bigger part of me than I used to. Coming out recently, as in accepting my sexuality to myself and then telling a few others about that acceptance, has liberated me in such a way that it has affected all areas of my life. I'm happier in general now that I can envisage a future in which I'm not alone. I feel more engaged, more productive and part of a community that might be oppressed and vilified but stands together with resolute solidarity.

Where I draw the line is at the idea that everything I do, say and believe has to be somehow 'gay' in the stereotypical sense of the word. I don't believe sexuality has any connotations with so called masculine or feminine traits nor do I think that it should. To finally be true to myself means that I accept that I'm gay. Whilst I am hugely appreciative of the support I have received so far, I'm already starting to notice assumptions being made without my consent based purely on stereotypes, and these are something that should be avoided in my opinion.

Identity is important and sexuality is a big part of that. Sometimes (straight) people place their own ideas of what that should mean and force it down other (LGBT) people's throats but in terms of being content with one's own persona, I think embracing yourself for who you truly are is a wonderful thing and I'm just starting to feel the effects of that after a long time of repression.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't at all. I never think about my sexuality or care about it that much. I just think It's fun to talk about related topics from time to time, but it doesn't really "define" me.

Part of that has to do with the fact that I've been out for 13 years now, though. Newly out people tend to obsess about it more, while it becomes less interesting after you've been used to it. I'm not saying I have any shame or repression, just that It's not something I find that important.

3. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say that its apart of who I am, and what I've been through internally because of it has left a mark, but it doesn't "define" me. I don't consider myself too different than anyone else..

4. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely feel in connecting and accepting that I am gay, I am better able to connect with other people before accepting myself, I wanted to be alone because I didn't see the point of (hetero) relationships. I tried it and it never worked.

so i do think my sexuality is a big part of who I am, to the point where I don't want to say I love this 'part of me' it is me...

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that I would say it defines me but it's a pretty big part of who I am. I don't really think about my sexuality per se that much (I've been out for twenty-five years, been with my husband for 18 of them) but for me it's sort of more of a cultural thing. I think about being gay the way I used to think about being Mormon--it's my community and it informs the way I think and feel and am. There's nothing particularly stereotypical about it, at least not in the way that straight people might see it, but there is something, well, I can't really come up with a better word than cultural. It's about who my people are...

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really not sure. I don't think I'd be much different if I was straight.

7. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite a lot, it was what made me realize that I was a woman.

8. Sienrar

A little bit. Doesn't affect me much except in the literal sense, but other than my preference I feel a bit liberated in a way. That is, I really don't care about acting masculine or feminine; I'm just me.

9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While being bi is a part of who I am, it is but a small part of who I am. No one single thing defines me more than any other single thing. I am a bunch of things at once.

10. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a percentage, I'd say my sexuality makes up about 4% of who I am.

11. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say it's a small but liberating part of my life. I can make choices about friends, relationships and how I want to present myself and I don't really care what people think about it!!!

I totally agree with that! I've had a few comments about what straight people stereotypically think LGBT people should be like. I'm sure it's a surprise to them that I haven't suddenly turned into that yet :roflmao: But seriously I take away any useful things they say and incorporate it into what I want.

12. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe slightly more than it defines the average straight person. I think my sexuality makes me seem somewhat different than the average straight girl, but I don't think I come across as gay to most people. I also know plenty of straight people who really define themselves by their sexuality.

13. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely an important part of me, but I came out in my mid 20s so I had formed a lot of my identity already before I was ever out.

14. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like people thinking I'm lesbian or straight, but people seem to forget when someone's bisexual so I'll have to tell them again if it's relevant to the situation.

And I write stories with a lot of bisexual characters in it, even before I knew bisexuality existed, I had a character who would 'flit' with both boys and girls (they were in high school so there was no relationships).

I do want to write a successful (i.e. I finish it with at least 50,000 words and is well written) story with a bisexual lead.

15. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. I mostly just talk about video games, science, and music with friends, so sexual stuff (let alone sexual orientation) doesn't come up often

16. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It defines me as a person just as much as my eye colour and my height - It really doesn’t. It’s a random factor about me; a part of what I am but it doesn’t tell anyone anything about who I am.

17. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't. If I were straight I think I'd be the same person only a hetero.

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't, really. Sure, I'm gay, but I'm also asexual, so it doesn't really matter who I'm attracted to, because I don't want to be with anybody, anyways. :grin:

19. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it really defines me at all. I'm made up of lots of little pieces, and my sexuality is only one of them.

20. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure... I don't really super identify as being anything like it is a huge part of me and I'll get upset if it is misinterpreted, but I feel like it is much more a part of who I am recently than before.