1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterlife

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dryad, May 23, 2017.

1. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since there are many threads around about religious views in general, and more specific religions, I thought of making one about afterlife. So, what do you believe that happens to us after we die? And why do you think so?

I'm not sure about it. When I try to think about it, too many questions spiral in my head cause I start to question every what and why of them, leading to more and more questions. I should organize my thoughts but now I'm tired and it's exam period. But I'm curious what you people think, especially relating to your religious beliefs.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not religious in the slightest so I believe it's game over.

I would like to think there's more to it as I've basically wasted my life so far.

3. Friendly

Friendly Guest

Yeah...I think after you die you are just gone, too. It would be nice to reincarnate, but meh...you can't have everything :lol:

4. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not very religious person but I think there is something. I saw one movie which was obviously written by person who knowd alot about religion. I never thought I would be so amazed about such movie. It was really special.

Well in there it worked like this. When you die you'll go either to heaven or to purgatory. In purgatory you remain untill you realise and regret what you did wrong. Then you are free to go to heaven.

In heaven you can help newcomers and do practically everything. You can even visit your living relatives. You can also reincarnate yourself or become a higher being if you have enough knowledge.

My point is that after I saw this it made me feel like this is a very fair afterlife. Sure it could also be game over but I hope it's something like this. :slight_smile:

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't believe heaven/hell exist, but I like to create my own images in my head. I see heaven for people who are really religious, hell for people who don't believe in religion but haven't done anything seriously wrong, and purgatory for the really bad people.

In reality. You die, you decompose, your self is sucked into the atmosphere or ground, then it might get used as 'energy' for something else depending on where it lands. So I think an after-life exists, but not where you come back as a full person.

#5 Secrets5, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  6. Sienrar

I am not religious in any way. I feel like the most likely thing to happen when you die is nothing, since there's no evidence of any afterlife or anything.

But, there is certainly the possibility of there being something. And we can't find out till we die.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, you only have one life. When it is over, it is over (and if you think there is something more, it is up to you to prove it).

That is what makes life beautiful and so precious. You need to make the most of every second you have on this planet. To me, you shouldn't live a life ignoring your pleasures, the things you like to do, the people you love, just because there is something better later. Because i don't believe there is something later, and no one has ever proved it. The time to live and enjoy the pleasures of life is now. It is pointless to glamourize suffering and abstinence because of an afterlife.

Please note: When i mean "abstinence", i mean, for example, when people with internalized homophobia hide their true feelings, even from themselves, because "being gay is wrong", and if they manage to handle this "suffering" in life, they will be "rewarded" in the afterlife. That makes no sense to me: If you aren't harming anyone, why not do something you enjoy?

Also, indulgence is very different from compulsion. Someone who enjoys a "pizza night" or even a "beer night" with friends every few weeks is enjoying life, and, in my point of view, doing a good thing for themselves.

On the other hand, someone who eats pizza/drinks everyday is destroying their own body (and possibly harming those who love that person). That is unhealthy, and i don't think that person is enjoying life to it's full potential.

TL;DR: To me, there is no afterlife. Enjoy life to it's full potential, because it is the only life you get, and it is precious. Explore the world. Eat new foods, play new games, travel, interact with people, be positive, do things you enjoy. If this is the only life we get, we need to make the most of it.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The honored Halls of Suto'vo'qor await all those who follow the path of qeylIS. Ghe'tor is the fate of all others.

#8 Browncoat, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. Lazuri

Who cares? I can think whatever I want, but nobody can ever know until their time comes. It's pointless to ponder on the helplessly uncertain and instead focus on the life we have right now and try to make it as good as we can.

10. Hunter8

I'm a Christian who holds biblical beliefs on the matter. I do believe in Heaven and Hell, and I believe that Jesus died to save us all from hell so that we can go to Heaven and be with our Father. I don't believe THIS is all there is. I believe there's a greater Plan and a Purpose for our lives that stretches into eternity.

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the lights just shut off when we die. Nothing more, nothing less. We go back to the state of non-existence we were in before we were born.
    I'm not religious now, but I used to be heavily Christian. I thought I would never get over the intense fear of some people suffering forever in Hell. The brainwashing (in my personal case) goes deep, so it's hard to pull out the roots. It's such a relief not to have those feelings anymore though. <3
    It would be amazing if some positive afterlife did exist, but I'd have to have proof of said afterlife to care now.

12. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no clue, but some form of heaven. hell and ghosts. Trying to put that together would take all night and I really can't spare that tonight

13. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope there's some sort of afterlife. I can't go through all of this again in another body!

Then again this might all just be an illusion so who knows?

14. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I definitely don't believe this is all there is. In my opinion, there is quite a bit of evidence that there is more out there. I also don't believe in reincarnation. I believe in the soul and that the soul is eternal.
    Heaven and hell probably come closest to my beliefs, although my view on hell is actually more like purgatory.

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The afterlife is sometimes presented as the end game of many religions, as in the idea that life on earth is ultimately unimportant compared with life after death. Whether this is supposed to make life more worth living for an individual is unclear to me. On one hand it could put a damper on someone's life, causing them to live in constant fear of an eternal punishment or hope of an eternal reward, and ignore the relationships they have here. The more trivial life on earth seems the more trivial the people and events around us seem. On the other hand it could serve to make life seem all the more important, with its ramifications in the afterlife apparent every day, and the nihilism of a life that is bounded by the 80 or so years we have evaporates.

I can't live as if everything I do is for the sake of an afterlife--that's simply not how I seem to be wired. I don't believe in a conventional heaven or hell (certainly I have never believed that people are eternally tormented in the afterlife. This belief is unfathomable to me), but the idea of complete annihilation after death is also unfathomable to me, so I do admit the possibility of a kind of mystical union with the creator, something which I think can be partaken in, at least to a limited degree, before death.

In a way I imagine a finite number of souls that will all ultimately return to the creator. These are just my ideas, as idiosyncratic as they may be.

16. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do believe in a continuation, of sorts, beyond this life, but I'm not going to live this life in anticipation of something better (or possibly worse). I'm not going to waste the precious time I have on earth.

The concept of heaven/paradise seems rather twee, in my opinion and I don't fully buy into it or the notion of entering through "pearly gates", nor do I fully buy into the concept of hell, where all the damned people of this world go to suffer for eternity. If heaven seems twee, hell seems absurd.

I'll wait my turn to find out for sure, but I will not sit idly by waiting. Got to crack on!

17. Jellal

I don't believe in one at the moment, but I certainly hope one does exist!

18. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely agree with Patrick here.

I hope for an afterlife. And if there is a heaven, well, I'm not sure that I will deserve it. I do my best with where I am now and what precious time I have in this life. I think that if there is something after we die, it will probable be very different from what everyone imagines it to be.

I have always thought reincarnation a fascinating notion, but like many afterlife theories, there is simply no way to prove it and know for sure. Thus one cannot bank their life on it. Live well and love deeply. If you've done that, and your life truly ends with this one, what more could you have wanted? If it doesn't end and there is something else beyond, that is a new adventure to look forward too, which can only be understood when you get there.

19. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see it as probable, nor have I seen any evidence to warrant myself to do so.

The way I see it, I've got one shot and I've got to make it count.
    I can't be weighed down and forced to live the way society wants me to any longer, no. I can't waste the one life I know for sure I have. I've got to mend my mistakes and strive to be a better person in my own regard, to make the most of the time these short-lived cells will give me. For when given one chance... why waste it?

20. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: