1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Koizee, May 25, 2017.

1. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just had a friend who last week, told me he was gay. I was shocked and a little confused, not because he didn't seem gay, but because his sexuality seemed like a crazy coincidence
    You see this guy is easily my best friend, and we've known each other since we were like 2. Throughout school this guy had always been there for me (He was my only friend throughout elementary, and the only person I really get along with now in high school), and hopefully me for him. We were basically inseparable, and always got along.
    When he came out to me I actually responded, "Thats a crazy coincidence..."
    He replied "Why?"
    I answered "Because I'm gay too..."
    After the shock we started talking and wondering if perhaps we were so close because we were gay? Could it be scientifically plausible that gay people, actually attract each other? (Not romantically of course, but friendship wise) Or maybe that gay people develop similar personalities based on the environment they grow up in (We live in a Mormon neighborhood), and so they get along the best? What do you guys say, coincidence, or not?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it is entirely coincidental. Two of my old school friends came out as gay, but we all went through school saying nothing about it. It's only when we came out to each other that we admitted to sharing the same fears and anxieties as teenagers. I think humans tend to gravitate towards like minded individuals, even if it's not a conscious process.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's actually more common than you'd believe! Same thing with two people marrying... A lot of the people I've felt more comfortable with were in some way "different"...