1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news! My parents found Exodus!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Halpert, May 2, 2009.

1. Halpert

So my dad and his relentless research for anything and everything unfortunately found Exodus.

We just talked about this for the first time since I came out almost a week ago. He told me that no matter what I do they'll always love me, but it is still possible for me to ruin our relationship. From what he's read he thinks I'll grow out of this by time I'm 25.

He told me that no matter what I say I won't be able to convince them that God condones homosexuality, they just won't believe it. He did agree to watch For the Bible Told Me So, so that's a plus I guess. But they think the only option I have in life is to not act on this. They don't care if I never marry or have kids, they just don't want me to ever have a boyfriend.

Here's something awesome; apparently every gay man in the world is out to get me in bed, who knew? They're scared that I'll constantly be hurt and taken advantage of if I choose "that life". He said the gay community is all about drugs, alcohol and sex. When I told him I have no interest in any of that, he said that's why he thinks I have a chance at getting out of this. Good news! Looks like I should be healed because I'm not stereotypically gay.

He doesn't want me to be quick and label my 'same sex attraction' (seriously, I hate that term) as me being gay. He thinks that my same sex attraction doesn't mean that I'm actually gay and they're worried that I'll label myself prematurely. I'm pretty sure if my same sex attraction hasn't gone away in 4 years, I'm actually gay, not just confused. But oh well!

I understand where they're coming from, I just wish they wouldn't have found Exodus. I feel kinda bad, but I gave a little chuckle when he mentioned the name.

I put this in chat because I'm not really looking for advice (doesn't mean you can't give any though!), I just thought it was a little funny; they find the one, the one, site I didn't want them to.

2. Miles D

(*hug*)
    that seriously sucks.
    the good news is, if your parents are somewhat rational, you can talk them out of it using what you know to be the truth: there is no way someone can STOP being gay! (just like they can't stop being straight!)
    hope everything works out. :slight_smile:

3. Mickey

Ugh! I'm sorry you're going through this. I can't believe he has such a negative view of gay people,but I think he needs to be encouraged to find more positive sites to read up on. Maybe you can help in this. PFLAG would probably be a good place to start.
    If all he is reading is crap like Exodus,it's no wonder he's so negative.Try to help him with this. That's all I can think to tell you.
    At any rate,I wish you the best. Be patient,it takes some parents longer than others,to see the light.

4. STK

STK Guest

Exodus? More like, ExoDUNCE!

5. Greggers

Well im going through just about the same thing (and in the same location too, weird) (*hug*)

So just know - your not alone in this. Im free to talk anytime you like about anything at all :slight_smile:

I started a thread yesterday i think about the nightmares ive been having over Exodus. Its a scary thought. I hope they dont try and force you in it? Its really stupid that people can be so ignorant they would say something like "no matter what I say I won't be able to convince them that God condones homosexuality". I guess all you can do is try and prove them wrong with good, solid education? Ive made my parents watch prayers for bobby and for the bible tells me so and it helped, but not it didnt fix anything. Im going to make them watch Milk next. I dont think it will help, but it might get them off my back more.

(*hug*) Stay strong, mkay? You are better than all of this and you dont need to change anything about yourself for anyone, just remember that!

6. starfish

Ouch that sucks.

Don't really have much advice. Really all I can just say is be yourself and show that we are good decent people that like everyone else.

7. kramer362

Sometimes logic isn't enough, but you could point out how the American Psychiatric Association and every medical organization and the like does not condone trying to change sexual orientation and says it is something you're born with. And any attempt to change pretty much breaks you down mentally and rids your of all self-esteem...

http://www.apahelpcenter.org/articles/article.php?id=31