1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality.....a betrayal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by casjerem, May 6, 2009.

1. casjerem

casjerem Guest

Ok, i just wanted to ask this, don't know if this has been asked before or a thread as been started like this, but im going to do it anyways. so i've been talking and asking around, and it seems that a man who is bisexual is forbidden to have sex with women or even daydream about them. bisexual men have to be with men and if they have sex with any women, it would be a total betrayal to the gay community. if anyone can tell why that's so, i would really appreciate it, cause i think its really ridiculous that someone who is bisexual can have any type of interest in the same sex, not that i would know, myself being gay, but if i were bi, i would really think this is stupid. :tantrum:

2. Nitro

It is only a betrayal if you give up the fight for gay rights, and/or allow yourself to be re-closeted (if applicable). Other than that, all healthy love should be welcome.

3. Shevanel

I do think this is stupid. and in the words of Forrest Gump, thats all I have to say about that.

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I think the animosity comes from a childish standpoint. Gay's and Lesbians get jelous becuase Bisexuals can pick from both ends of the spectrum. Its like the black activist getting mad at the homosexuals for being able to hide their sexuality. The ones who can get mad at the bisexuals because they don't get as much of the negativity as they've experienced.

Plus, lets not forget, the noteriety of Conversion camps is due heavily becuase of people who don't know about bisexuality and are mentally abused into only picking from the opposite gender. They come out saying they are straight and are sent to churches to preech aginst homosexuality without ever mentioning bisexuality.

In my point of view, their needs to be more awarness about bisexuality because of the conversion camp delema. Bisexuality is the only wepon that they have for the position of homosexulity being a choice. They catagorize a group of people (bisexuals) in the wrong catagory and treat them as if they are part of that very catagory...which they are not supposed to be in. I mean go to a striaght camp to cure yourself of bisexuality and what group do they probably put you in, the homosexual group. Its like sending a cancer patient to an AA meeting. (Not supporting the camps but just showing their lack of knowledge)

Bisexuality is not a choice BUT they are the only ones in the GLBT community who CAN choose one or the other. That is where the frustration is stored. Think about it, in the end a bisexual is going to pick either a man or a woman to be with. Some run with the opposite sex and never say they were part of the gay community while others run with the the same sex and never admit they were Bi in the first place...or just say they were confused.

In my opinion, I really don't mind bisexuals though I do think it is a state of confusion which any gay or lesbien or transgender can relate to. There needs to be more education about bisexuality. I mean we live in an age where everyone knows what homosexuality is. Its a house hold topic. everyone has an opinion. Now ask about bisexuality and you make a person stop and think and reply with a small statemant with no opinion or knowledge about it. Kinda sad really.

Sorry lil long. :c)

5. GhostDog

It is stupid. It's incredibly stupid.

I think people who are solely attracted to one gender or another may not really understand what it's actually like to be attracted to both? I read something a bisexual person wrote about talking to a gay friend of theirs, and having a conversation rather like this. "So are you still bisexual?" "Yes." "That's okay. I was 'bisexual' for a while too." I think those gay people who say those kinds of things assume it's kind of a transitional phase, or it's someone being indecisive, a straight person doing it for the attention, a gay person too afraid to come out all the way... Blah blah blah. So that's not exactly a very supportive attitude anyway.

And there are a lot of straight people who, I think, don't know that bisexuality is even an option (for lack of a better word). So when they see someone who was with someone of the same gender go out with someone of the opposite gender? They'll assume it was a phase, or they grew out of it, or "changed their minds", or were just confused, et al.

And this misconception creates a lot of grief for the LGBTQ community, frankly, because people point to bisexuals and say "WELL LOOK AT HIM, HE WAS TOTALLY A HOMO BUT NOW HE'S WITH A CHICK. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!" Sure, he may be in a heterosexual relationship, but that doesn't make him one. But appearances mean a whole hell of a lot to us as a society, unfortunately.

Then you get anger at perceived "heterosexual privilege", that someone who's bi can love someone of the opposite gender and receive all those legal benefits and social acceptance, while still being a part of the LGBT community. The attitude seems to be that you can't have your cake and eat it too, you're either with us all the way or not at all. There's bitterness about the idea that bisexuals get the best of both worlds, but really, you get shit from gay and straight people for it.

I think the perception may partly be that, in a world where things are assumed to be black and white, and one side is trying to argue that its existence is legitimate in itself, the funny shades of grey in between complicate the argument.

A lot of people seem to miss that sexuality isn't defined by who you're with. It goes the other way around!

EDIT: Haha, Legnaj said some of the same stuff, I think we were writing at the same time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Word, "Thinking on the same page" FTW lol

7. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bi people get a raw deal from lots of other people. Makes me sad really.