1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, May 8, 2009.

?

Who did you take to prom?

1. A same-sex date

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. An opposite-sex date

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. A relative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A platonic (friend) date

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Single with a group of friends

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Random person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Étoile

For all my American buds, are you or did you go to prom this year or did you when you were in high school?

My prom was tonight. I was at work but I didn't want to go since A) I've never seen the point of prom and B) If I ever decided to go, I'd like to bring a male date but I'm not out yet and it'd cause too much ruckus for me to handle. Everyone I know at school besides my best friend look at me in shock when I say I'm not going. Why? People treat prom as if it's graduation. LOL

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Why? People treat prom as if it's graduation.

1)Because its graduation without parents, just friends
    2)last time some groups will hang out together
    3)free virginity tickets

3. Étoile

About #3, my 60-something year old teacher told us: "Whenever you think about doing something bad, just picture my face." So I don't think anyone in my class will be getting it on. LOL

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Hey when free virginity tickets are in the air your teacher's face might actually be an incentive. I mean there are 2 types of people who go to prom:

1)The students
    2)The teachers

I never said who the virginity ticktes belong to...:grin:

5. Nodnarb

I didn't go to my prom either. Dances just aren't really my thing, I guess. I did go to Afterprom, which was great as usual.

And yeah, people here freak out when you tell them you aren't going too. I guess I don't get why it's such a big deal either.

6. justjoshoh

I didn't go to prom either. I worked on the night of both my junior and senior prom. Actually, I begged my manager to schedule me the night of my senior prom, so I had a valid excuse not to attend. It seemed like too much a hassle and too costly to attend. After 12 years, I still have no regrets.

7. Miles D

umm... my college has a prom, but it's mostly a joke.
    I mean, people either get dressed to be ironic, or they wear what they wore that day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    and my lesbian friend and I went and were sorta matching. it was awesome. :grin:

8. paco

paco Guest

uh.. i went with my ex gf at the time.. lucky she was mormon and didnt expect to get laid afterwards. it was good cause she's a good dancer, it was awkward because she liked me.

9. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

actually i went to not ones formal but two (i know how amazing) both with girls, both girls liked me but i couldn't reciprocate. it's not very awkward between us now (both know) but i haven't had a proper chat with them yet. looking forward to that one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Apocalypte

I never went to my debs, I hated the people in my year in school and I thought it was a horrible waste of money. 7 years on, I have no regrets.

11. kettleoffish

I'm leaving school a year early, so no prom for me. (there's no big 'graduation' in Scotland, you can leave after 4th, 5th or 6th year as long as you're 16 and seeing as I [probably] will have all the grades I need to get into uni after 5th, I see no real point in staying on for 6th)

12. partietraumatic

Well i guess the equivalent for proms in the US are Balls here,of which i am going to a couple. Im going to my best friend's leavers ball at her school next saturday, then in a couple of months im taking a friend to my leavers ball. So yeah friend dates for both :slight_smile: im not sure i would take a guy even if i had anyone,just coz of the hassle it would mean with the attention etc...

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You didn't have the option, but I didn't go at all.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went with a female friend. It was clear that it was platonic, as she was dating a college guy at the time who thought prom was "juveline". We ended up having a great time.

Lex

15. EM68

I didn't go the junior prom. The girl I asked was a year younger and only wanted to go the her prom. I did go to the senior dinner dance. Only seniors from our class could go so there were a lot of singles there. It was a blast. I do not regret missing my prom.

16. Cool Beans

Two years ago I went with a friend who was a junior. Last year it was pretty random... I took a sophomore girl whom I never really talked to (although now we're on the quiz bowl team and we're friends). Tonight I'm taking a female friend who is a sophomore in college and knows that I'm gay, so it's not awkward.

I wouldn't take a same-sex date because I'm not out and none of the guys at school are out as gay or bi, plus I wouldn't want the hassle. I think one lesbian in my grade is bringing her girlfriend, though.

17. BeautifulStranger

The point of prom is to have fun.
    I don't understand why people always search for a deep and philosophical meaning to it. I mean, if cake can just be cake, why can't prom just be prom?

As for their shocked reactions... I can relate. I get the same response when I say I'm not attending the homecoming football game.
    But I understand they're reactions too.
    On prom night, the vast majority of teens and their friends will be at the civic center/hotel ballroom/school gymnasium/where ever your school holds it.
    It's much easier to have a fun time with your friends where they are, compared to not attending prom and attempting fun without your friends.

And seriously, all of the fun comes to you at Prom.
    Whether it's in the form of kids having sex on the dancefloor (happened last year at my prom), the couple wearing camouflage and hunter orange (again, happened at my prom), or maybe you think dancing like a fool to a really crappy DJ is fun, it will be fun... regardless of who you're with.

I don't think it's the fact that you're missing prom (or the homecoming football game, in my case). It's really that you're passing up a night with friends.
    Not that you're missing a romantic evening, or some awkward slow-dance with that guy/girl in your Algebra class.
    I think their mentality is "Why do you want to be alone when everyone will be together?"

As for the date stuff, I'm hoping to take a guy with me to all of my school dances next year. I'd like to shake Alpena up a little bit my senior year. Even 'Terry the Fairy' never attempted to bring a guy to prom.
    But it won't stop me from going if I can't. I don't need a someone with a penis to have a great time at a high school dance, because I know for a fact that all of my vaginally gifted friends dance just as well, if not better.
    Not to mention they're willing to make complete and utter fools out of themselves by letting me grind on them or grope them on the dance floor. :wink:

P.S. We're lucky we even have prom. My friends here would KILL to attend a prom.

#17 BeautifulStranger, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  18. Jerr

I can't choose....

I went to 4 proms.

2 with just friends.

1 stag.

1 with 3 girls and a guy... yes, they were all my dates... and I had separate time with them all. (Took pictures with the three girls. and danced with the guy. First guy on guy action at prom, I might add. at my school.)

19. partietraumatic

also one funny point i thought id just share. We are allowed to bring same sex dates to my ball,however if we want to do it we must ask everyone who is on our table if they are ok with it! What a rediculous situation,the organisers claim its coz of the seating plan,but i think its just to make it difficult to bring a same sex date!

20. Elesbian47

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ that's ridiculous and unethical, IMO.

I'm a school photographer and love seeing gay couples at proms! :slight_smile:
    I think being out like that is the best thing you can do to bring about change in your community.