1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epiphany Experience?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hendrix, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Has anyone ever had an epiphany-like experience? I was reading this book called U-turns: What If You Woke Up One Morning and Realized You Were Living The Wrong Life
    and it kind of got me to think about one that I had. I kinda realized all of the sudden that the whole religous conservatism that I grew up around and followed was all totally stupid. The Jerry-Falwell-like mindset that my parents and church are so ingrianed in. Being around that all the time now is kind of disturbing to say the least (It is one of the reasons I have'nt come out at all). This epiphany resulted in me loosing my stong religous beliefs to become an agnostic leaning more towards atheism (Maybe there is a God, maybe not). The epiphany had a lot to do with being gay and always being made to feel guilty about it. But in had to do with a lot of other things also that just seemed totally illogical. Being around people who have such different belief (meaning my parents, thier friends, and our church) makes it seem as if they've been brianwashed and that I was once brianwashed and snaped out of it. That's why I hate going to church and listening to the:***: they try to put in your head, but I do it just so that no questions will be asked. I know that there are a lot of churches that are more liberal, but now the whole Christian minset almost totally turns me off. I don't feel like it was that gradual (happened in August 2005 over a couple of weeks) so I'd consider it an epiphany. I'm not completely sure what triggered it had a lot to do with the drama of what was going on in the church. There was a long tangent during one of the sermons regarding "forgiving the gays." They even had an "ex-gay"(what a bunch of crock) visit the church preaching agianst homosexuality (Another reason I don't want to come out is that I may be forced into some sort of reparitive therapy that will screw up my mind). Maybe it was just a combination of a lot of different things that happened in the same small strech of time that set it off. I'm so happy that it happened because when it did I was finally able to accept being gay without having to feel guilty about it as well as being more open-minded about a lot of other things, but one downside is that I'm not completely sure of the afterlife (if there is one) and I miss the feeling of being able to call on God (if he exists) for help. Sorry this is so long but there it is.:eusa_doh:

Have any of you had an experience like mine or another epiphany-like experience or know of anyone who has? It doesn't have to revolve around religon or being gay it can be about anything (There are other examples in the book reviews).

About U-turns

From the Publisher:
    Every day, in almost every field, someone perceives themselves to be on the wrong side of a psychic divide. The “second brain” in their gut tells them their life must change. Bruce Grierson draws on over 300 hundred stories of u-turners, including famous cases like Gandhi and Gauguin as well as a host of other gripping tales of people who have risked everything to answer life’s wake-up call: people who change political parties and careers, people give up their jobs as doctors to become poets, men who become women, professional athletes who quit to spend more time with their families, mothers who quit their families to pursue careers, people who suddenly become revolutionaries for a cause they didn’t care about the day before.

Grierson examines the u-turn from all angles—philosophical, scientific, literary and psychological—beginning with premise that the wake-up call is the secular equivalent of the religious epiphany, the moment when a person is “born again.” When does the wake-up call happen? Often in mid-life, but not always. Is it a good thing? Yes and no. Who does it happen to? Potentially any of us, under the right circumstance. Is America ready for a mass u-turn? Maybe. In chapters that address everything from the neuroscience behind epiphanies (the eureka moment) to the possibility of “forcing” a u-turn, Grierson brilliantly describes and elucidates this powerful, mysterious phenomenon, and in doing so illuminates all or our continual struggles with life choices and identity.

Publishers Weekly:
    A Canadian journalist (Culture Jam) takes an informed look at people who suddenly, dramatically transform their lives. Grierson offers scores of examples, such as Virgil Butler, who had earned his living slaughtering chickens at a Tyson plant. After he started dating an animal lover, he quit his job, became a vegetarian and now runs an animal rights Web site. Many of the epiphanies were of a religious nature, either toward or away from spirituality. Anwah Shaikh, a Pakistani fundamentalist Muslim, killed several Sikhs after seeing the mutilated bodies of Muslims around the time Pakistan gained independence. Reading the Qur'an one day, he suddenly found one passage troubling and began reading the text more critically; he turned away from Islam and wrote a critique of the Qur'an. Several tales recount political shifts, such as Michael Lind's abandonment of conservatism after being disgusted by Pat Buchanan's speech at the 1992 Republican National Convention. This is a nuanced and informative investigation that speculates but does not reach final conclusions about why some make U-turns in life and others do not. Grierson suggests that most changers are middle-class white males (who have the greatest freedom to make such changes) with a degree of sensitivity and idealism. (Apr.) Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.

#1 Hendrix, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. xequar

I had a major epiphany experience, and being gay and Christian were intrinsically related factors in it. I had been struggling with the idea that I might be gay for awhile, and I had been fighting it and fighting it, praying for God to make me straight and all that crap. Finally, as I was sitting in front of my computer, I finally just broke down and cried and finally just prayed for the answer, no longer caring what it was.

After I recovered, I had a major epiphany. For one, all the pieces fit, and I wouldn't be agonizing over the question to the point of breakdown if I wasn't in fact gay. The other part was me reaching the conclusion that if God ignored my prayers of straightness and yet was very ready to let me be gay, then there were obviously a considerable number of issues not with God, but with the majority of the people and churches that claim to be his ambassadors. Jesus preached to love thy neighbor, not to love thy neighbor except if he's gay, yet so many churches preach that being gay is wrong, and I quickly came to a point where I could not reconcile that difference in my mind.

The end result? I'm gay and out, and I now am a Christian that has essentially dismissed most of the dogma of the Bible, since it seems to me that the Bible has been misinterpreted, mistranslated, and altered over time to the point where I now say that if God wanted the Bible to be the penultimate compendium of his word, he should have hired better proofreaders. And for the record, I'm happier and more at peace with myself and the universe at large than I have ever been.

3. GuitarGirl1350

I had a major epiphany at the lowest point of my life. I don't feel like going into detail.
    I can say that I would NEVER be the strong and confident individual that I am today without having that low or epiphany.

4. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's so awsome that you were able to get past that, accept your sexuality, and still have faith in God. For me it was different because I almost had to drop everything that I was taught in order to see past it and start over from the beginning. In starting over it was kind of hard for me to accept the whole idea of there being a God and at the same time it's hard for me to accept the whole idea that there is no God. Just the lack of evidence on both sides kind of confuses me but i've found that I may lean more towards atheism. One of the reasons is that in the world today so many problems could be eliminated if there were no religon. It kind of reminds me of that John Lennon song, "Imagine"

5. davo-man

Well mine has nothing to be with being gay but it was a major epiphany in my life...

I remember all throughout Year 8 i was totally trying to cool, dit in, be friends with the cool kids etc....this wasnt really working out cos they didnt invite me places, would ignore me when i stood with them and i was never included in any way, but you know how it is in High school...Its all about who you hang out with etc...Then one day i had heard about the group i was following going to the movies that saturday...so i ask Taylor, the head cool guy who was actually usually pretty nice to me, about it, and he says yeah come along if you want, so i got the details and that saturday i showed up at the movies...I stood there waiting for them for 45 minutes until i finally ring him and he says....oh didnt i tell you...everyone was on msn last night and we made it on sunday instead....

It was that moment that i realised that i didnt mean a thing to them...i was just something that happened to be at the same school at them....So i stopped trying to be cool and found a group of friends that accepted me as a human being...They had always been there in the background, but i had been pushing them away so that i could be "friends" with taylor's group....but after that day i became such good friends with them and have never wanted to just follow the group ever again...Pretty much the lesson i learned was to be yourself, dont try to be something ur not...and true friends treat you like a human being