1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mona from The Apprentice homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Phantom, May 13, 2009.

1. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Jem29

There was a point in the boardroom when Mona said that she "didn't strongly believe" in the gay theme. They cut across to Howard who looked quite hurt and who said "I don't even know what you mean by that". I think it was obvious then that there was some behind the scenes stuff between the two of them that we hadn't been privy to.

Whether the BBC not bringing up the fact that Howard's gay (only explicitly stated when Jason Manford brings it up in You're Fired), and Mona's potential homophobia, is to protect her or to protect him, I'm not sure. It's all a little weird though.

3. riddlerno1

It did seem like there was stuff that was carefully edited out!! and Mona was dead against the theme from the start. Even the bit when she said that she wasnt sure that the people from Kent would be ready for that as maybe not as many gay people in that area....(or something to that effect). I personally think she was fairly homophobic but obviously the BBC didnt want another controversial thing to flare up and so were extremely careful

4. Amy

Amy

I knew that I didn't like her...

5. Just Adam

the moment she wasent up for the project theme i could tell she was homophobic. her language body and word spoke tons. i was annoyed that they kept on gay gay gay rainbow here there. it felt very stereotyped if they did any research they would of realised you need to aproach this right lgbt is much broader and nicer :slight_smile:

they had one good pic of the people running on beach with giant raibow they should of used it for the poster rather than small pics load of words :S .... thats not a poster its a GIANT leaflet... which they never finished how long does it take to do a leaflet i made one from scratch in 15 mins and i didnt have photos on hand :S

im glad shes gone a narrow minded person is no good in a large multi cutural diverse environment.

6. kettleoffish

I always wondered about Howard, I've been watching this season of the Apprentice pretty much religiously and he stood out from the start, even though it wasn't explicitly stated until last night that he was gay.

Mona's homophobia was also quite noticeable when she was in the gay bar talking to the transsexual. I never expected that from her actually, she's always seemed a very accepting person to me, and one hell of a salesperson.

I would disagree about the photos Adam, I think some of the photos they took were brilliant, especially the one of the two guys holding hands on the beach. The posters were dreadful, but that wasn't really Mona's fault. And I don't know what they were thinking with the leaflets.

It makes more sense now why Mona was fired though, from watching the actual show I would have fired Debra, but after reading this, I would say Alan was right to fire Mona: you simply can't have somebody that close-minded working in a large business like that.

7. riddlerno1

I dont know what it was about Howard but i remember saying to a friend when this series started that i thought Howard was quite cute!! His eyes are amazing!! Anyway, this is probably one of the few times my 'gaydar' or that feeling was spot on!! Go me!!

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if it was homophobia...or rather ignorance. When she was talking to that transexual woman in the bar, she seemed quite shocked to see someone like that in the flesh. I just think she's never had to deal with homosexuality in her life...English is obviously not her first language and she may be from a country where gays arent talked about. She seems like a nice enough woman, just needs some gay education. I dont think she came away from this experience thinking "I hate gays".

I will say one thing...it made amazing TV. When she was talking at that bar..I was folding up on the inside, cringing! The "you're fired" show made me laugh so much. Especially the bit where they showed the map and there were only 4 gay places in the UK. Clare Balding was loving it.....token lesbo.

9. Just Adam

i did say they took good photos i likes the one running with the giant rainbow. i said the way the photos were on the poster was bad they were small... shrunken downand priority given to txt which made it sucked a poster needs to be an image you see and think wow it needs to draw you in not need you to read a paragraph :S

10. kettleoffish

seems like I must have misread your post, that's exactly what I meant to say. The photos were good, but the poster was a godawful use of them.

11. Just Adam

oh well lol, eitherway they sucked. simplys cos they took good photos and still managed to cock it up not beeing able to do a leaflet in like 8 hours or whatever, when she did walk in the bar and was like are....you... a.... man it was cringe worthy. little annoyed at howard i would think he would of clued them in on a little of this subject but as we saw i dont think he could get a word in :S

12. GlitterEyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like Mona, but I don't think she is homophobic unless what she said is proved by either her admitting it or seeing the video evidence. But, if you think about it what mother would want a child meeting a gay man than asking questions like "Why was that man kissing that other man?" and such. But, off topic did anyone see that when the other two (not mona) were talking to a local of the town there was a sign says "Men working overhead" that just made me laugh so much.

13. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't see that, but well spotted!

That scene between Mona and the transexual in the bar is competition with Simon's "This is how you screw the legs on" scene for the funniest apprentice moment ever!

14. Jem29

I think that's my problem. That would all make sense and people would be 100% behind her firing if that was explicitly stated and discussed in the program. Instead, it was hidden under the rug and we were left to guess at what that weird bulge in the carpet is.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Howard requested that it wasn't made a big deal of. We know how hard it is to come out, imagine being outed to the entire nation -- (though, to be honest, the way he dresses around the apartment outed him way before this episode aired, in my opinion). Then Jason Manford said it during You're Fired and there was a feeling that he'd let the cat out of the bag. Yet it was still aired. Why go to the effort of hushing it up if it's only going be brought up in the aftershow anyway? Frustrating.

The result is a flat episode where the audience doesn't feel they're getting the whole story. It could have been much more entertaining, but at the expense of Howard's self confidence and Mona's standing in the eyes of the British public.

15. riddlerno1

But i swear that it was mentioned that Howard was gay way before in another episode of Your Fired by Jenny Eclair. I cant remeber what she was talking about but she was making a joke and then something about them all getting dressed very camp and that Howard could dress them because he was gay. Thats the first time it was confirmed to me that he was gay. Anyone else see this one?? It was from a few weeks back?

16. riddlerno1

Ok i found it!! It was on this episode http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k3p2s

Its at bout 20 mins

and they are talking about Kate and Phil and Jenny Eclair says that she is disappointed by the gay bloke (howard) isnt trying to get off with the straights!!!! So in fact it was confirmed he was gay weeks ago!

17. Just Adam

i cant see why a mother should have a problem with her children around gay men. i keep hearing this whats so wrong with beeing gay we cant be near children i aint going to make them gay i aint gonna abuse then thats a different category all together :|. it sucks does this mean if people know me in the street they will drag their kids away from me, will my dads wife not let my little sister near me?. is my mate when he has kids not gonna want to see me :frowning2:

am i such a freak that just beeing near me affects peoples sexuality :frowning2:

( im not having a go its just this mentality that because we arent going wow milf we are a threat to the kids) :frowning2:

i feel low

18. Ben

Ben

I adore his eyes.

I totally agree. She didn't go out of her way to condemn gay people, it was more of an ignorance issue in my opinion.