1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A great conversation with a daycare parent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, May 22, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I started taking care of a new baby this week. She's 3 months old and absolutely adorable! Her mom has been coming over on her lunch to breast feed. (try not to get weirded out about that you guys! lol) Anyway, she saw my Netflix so we were talking about movies. She said she finally saw Milk and that it was a hard one to watch. She said "You probably saw it when it first came out, didn't you?" I said "yeah, I went with my PFLAG chapter. We saw it together." Then she asked about my son. She asked how it was for him living in Louisiana and if he had a partner, ect. She said "You know, I just don't get why anyone would want to take away from another's JOY IN LIFE!" She was very supportive.

I told her about a friend of mind who has a 2 year old daughter. When she plays "babies" with her she says to her "Are you the Mom? Does the baby have a daddy or another mommy?" That way she learns about families who might be different than the norm. I told this parent that I would probably get in trouble if I taught that here in my daycare. She said "You can whisper that to my child ANYTIME! I don't mind at all." She was raised Mormon!

So the moral of the story is......don't automatically assume that because someone has been raised in a certain religion or even involved in that religion now that they are against you. What we need is more of these people on OUR side! That is when we truly have acceptance!

2. Fiorino

Aww-that's a sweet story! and yes, you are definetely right about not jumping to conclusions.

3. Mickey

Wow,that's great! Thanks,that was an awesome story!

4. starfish

That is a great story.

You are right about not assuming. I have mentioned this before, but the most accepting person I have met is a practicing Jew. Not only that but he is 100% comfortable with me being me and we can even talk about it. Very few people have made me feel as accepted as he has.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing Becky! Totally agree!

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was so worried about losing clients when Adam first came out. What has happened is that I've actually attracted clients that are more like me and people I want to have here! Its been great!

7. pokeypanda

That is a great sorry! All the families you work with seem to be very supportive and super nice, that's really cool!