1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Boy Scouts Holla! or not....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peaceLOVEandNYC, May 24, 2009.

1. peaceLOVEandNYC

so, am I the only gay boy scout in here???

i'm really close to becoming an eagle scout but i do not fully, whats the word i'm looking for, like the BSA.

It's just that my motto in life has always been and always will be It is better to try and fail than to give up. I feel obligated to become an Eagle Scout now since i have spent so much time with the activity but i am also tired, glad i am graduating, and excited to come out to all of my friends!!!

people think i'm really excited about my Eagle Scout project but the truth is i'm exciting i finally took the big plunge into the LGBT society!

lemme know how you other boy scouts are doing!!! if any of you even exist...

2. Daniel

I was! I never made it to the Eagle Scout level but I did get up there...to what I can't remember. I finally got fed up with the group in my town as they gave out the awards to kids whose parents did all the work. I hated the people actually.

Congrats on the level though! I bet you earned it.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have at least two friends who are gay Eagle Scouts. Both came out shortly after achieving Eagle, and one was an assistant scoutmaster. One is 21 the other is 24.

They both said that scouting was an amazing experience that has helped them in many ways, but the one who was an assistant scoutmaster was asked to resign after the other scoutmasters found out he was gay.

I read several years ago in a Time Magazine article about gays and scouting that the main reason the Scouts don't officially acknowledge and accept gay scouts is because the Mormon Church provides an enormous amount of funding to the Scouts and the loss of that funding would essentially bankrupt the organization. However, with the tide finally turning, I imagine it won't be too long before scouts can openly be gay :slight_smile:

Congrats on achieving your Eagle AND coming out :slight_smile:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My name is Harvey Milk (ummm.....I mean beckyg) and I'm here to recruit you! :roflmao:

http://www.scoutingforall.org/

Be a proud and OUT Boy Scout and challenge their anti-discriminatory rules!

5. Shevanel

I was a boy scout when I was younger, I can't remember how far I got but I think it was the step before Eagle. Also I'm Bisexual too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in the scouts when I was a kid, but I didn't get particularly far - it just bored me so much, and I'm not an outdoorsey person at all. Now, with their attitude towards atheists and gay people, you couldn't get me to rejoin if you paid me. I simply cannot ally myself with people that asshole-ish.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that the small-minded, bigoted mindset is likely coming from the Mormon Church (the same lovely people who brought you the "Storm is Coming" ad and millions of dollars spent fraudulently promoting Prop 8 in California.)

Most of the actual scoutmasters and scouts I've talked to are amazingly tolerant. (Then again, I live in California.) I think that by participating in Scouting and showing that gay kids are every bit as responsible and capable as straight kids and aren't the evil degenerates that the Mormons and other religions make them out to be, you send a message to other Scouts and to Scoutmasters.

Of course, I don't have to be there in the meetings, so I really don't know what it's like, but I do believe that subtle actions that cast gays and lesbians in a positive light help to influence people's opinion and effect long-term change.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And I live in Alabama, which is still about a century behind California in terms of LGBT equality. Not that I really understood that I was gay back when I was in the scouts, but I know if I had stuck with it I certainly would have quit or been kicked out - it's the organization itself, not necessarily all the people in it, that I can't associate myself with.

9. peaceLOVEandNYC

well, i'm sad to say that here in Brooklyn the scouts basically do not want gays and/or gay scoutmasters....they assume that all gay men have a continuous desire to have sex with every single male they encounter!

my scoutmaster actually was in the army and is a hard core republican so he is constantly bad mouthing gays and how it is un-american.....it makes me want to vomit but what it comes down to is that i need to become an Eagle Scout and i need his vote lol... i plan on sitting him down with a copious amount of complaints about his nonstop ignorance and bigotry. He also hates all minorities! he uses the terms porch-monkey, nigger, fag, and dirty mexican non-stop.

i love how an institution would rather have a small minded asshole straight man instruct a group of young men instead of a loving respectable man who happens to also be gay.

fucking retarded. :***:

10. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM[/YOUTUBE]

all humour aside, A scoutmaster like that shouldn't be a scoutmaster at all. That totally goes against everything they're supposed to be teaching.

11. Lychee

I did girl guides until I was 15 :grin: It's like the equivalent of girl scouts.
    God, I loved those days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Point taken. It's easy to get lulled into this false sense of security here in northern California.

It's really unfortunate that there's still so much bigotry all over this country. I'm still amazed that we managed to elect a black President, but we did... and I keep thinking about that, and other milestones, to focus on the progress that's being made... but that doesn't change the fact that a gay teen may not be able to feel remotely safe in a Scout meeting in much of the country.

13. kettleoffish

I was but I quit when I was 13 or so.

14. musican

I was in Boy Scouts, but I quit because I didn't like it. I didn't feel like I really fit in with the rest of the guys and they didn't do too much that I was interested in.

My sisters were Girl Scouts and to be honest, I liked hanging out with them more..... :icon_redf

15. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm a gay Eagle Scout, and am disgusted by policies of kicking those who are gay out.

16. Mr Bojangles

Never was. Do like boys in short shorts though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. sdc91

Gay Eagle Scout here. Got it when I was 16.

I kinda had to lie during my Board of Review when asked about religion, but I don't regret any of it. (lol they told me to go to church more often, though... I said I didn't belong to one, but I'm "religious"). If they take away my Eagle for being gay, my dad said he'll give his up, too, which I thought was an extremely nice gesture (my dad, older brother, and twin brother are all Eagles, too).

18. Just Adam

i was a captain in the scouts here but i didnt like it in the end got to much like school you were pressured to work for badges its not why i did it i just wanted to get out there learn stuff not be made to feel like im sat in class. there was a lot of talking down aswell people thinking they are superior but meh also found the overall attitude very meh oh we were tollerant and nice but it felt a bit communist to me alot of the ideals were spread around.. i dont like beeing preeched at. also think back the guys whos parents did more did get treated better without doing sod all i worked hard to help everyone to earn my rank.

i wonder if i can still call myself captain haha .... never stopped jack sparrow hmm lol

19. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am also a gay Scout. I am extremely close to getting Eagle and am planning to come out during our summer camp that starts this Friday! There's about twenty people going, and they are all pretty accepting. (&&&) It should be great!