1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A UK Republic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Crusader, May 25, 2009.

?

What form of constitutional reform would you support (if any)

1. A written (codified) constitution

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. An elected President as head of state

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. An elected President as head of state & government

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reform for the entire legislature

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Reform to the house of commons only

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. All of the above

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. None of the above

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, dont know if this thread will garner any interest so here goes. Given the ongoing political crisis over MP's expenses how many people would like to see some constitutional reform. Given the inability of the queen to act, do you not think the head of state should be elected?

2. partietraumatic

am i right in thinking that the Queen technically can still act? Obs she still has to pass laws so she maintains that power,but am i right in thinking she can also technically disolve parliament. In the same way she opens it and the PM is invited to form a gov by her...

i could be wrong i dunno...?

3. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And i thought id never get to use that politics qualification =]. Yes she can still act, but the general concensus is she wont as it could destabilise the establishment of the monarchy. As it is supposed to be A-Political and act only for the good of the people.

Its explained here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/may/25/our-lame-duck-queen

Personally i think we should go back to the drawing board, reduce the house of commons, elect the second chamber and have an elected president as head of state & government

4. riddlerno1

No you are right the queen does have the power to dissolve parliament or Gordon Brown can stand down and call a general election.

5. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The power yes, the will....no

6. partietraumatic

okies thanks for clarifying what i thought :slight_smile:

Personally im not a fan of the house of lords,i would get rid of that.

7. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeh, me too. But as i said i really dont like the idea of the royal family lol. But i gather thats a rather unpopular opinion....go figure lol.

8. gaius

gaius Guest

the queen has the legal ability still to do pretty much what she wants with england, the problem is that she never would because then it would bring up the questions of why we still have a monarch and why we pay lots of money for her to live in luxury, personally i don't want there to be fundamental change because i like having a queen, and i think the queen also brings in a lot of tourism, i also can't see how we could effect change unless we went down a revolutionary road and forced it.

9. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats a good point lol, i doubt she would sign a bill into law which would remove her and her family as the head of state for the UK and commonwealth nations

10. partietraumatic

I don't mind the Royal Family i guess,as long as they keep their noses out of directly getting involved in politics lol.

Tbh what im less a fan of is how Brown is pm without winning an election!

11. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah id like to see that change, then we wouldnt get clowns like gordon brown in office lol

12. partietraumatic

Amen to that! Im really excited I can vote in the up coming elections for the first time :slight_smile: ive had knocks on our door from all 3 major parties :grin:

13. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Really? im able to vote for the first time in the up coming elections, but havent heard anything from Conservatives or Lib dems, even though the area is a bit of a conservative stronghold lol

14. gaius

gaius Guest

At uni the only political pressure we're under is to "make your vote anti-facist" and thats about it, though eddie izzard is coming to talk to us labour suppporters which should be fun, though even i now struggle to defend gormless brown

15. partietraumatic

my constituancy is labour. but the lib dems and conservatives both seem to be making a big move on it,coz its one that floats about between parties. Most of Oxford is lib dem,with the countryside around it conservative. But yes ive spoken to my candidates from all the parties and had endless busniness cards and leaflets hehe

16. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hmmm, anyway im still not sure who to vote for lol :S

17. partietraumatic

heeh same tbh,im leaning lib dem but i dont know. Im very pro EU so that sways me a tad

18. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOL! I tend to be in the minority in regards to my views on europe, i would favour setting up the EU as a federal super state so to speak lol. In my mind the EU is currently comparable to someone who's been shot.

Labour say they'll look at giveing him treatment

The conservatives say why bother

And the lib dems say lets put a plaster on it while we look at the other issues lol

19. partietraumatic

lol yes im very pro EU. at some point we are gonna have to bite the bullet and join properly,not kinda half be in and half out like we are atm. I think as a country we are too small to continue to be prosperous in the future compared to the size of emerging econmies in Asia and South America

20. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

Do you really think changing the system to a Federal one would make a blind bit of difference or make politicians any more honest? Believe me it wouldn't, the problem isn't so much the system as a whole, though it could do with a few tweaks here and there, it has more to do with changes that have been made to "modernise" a way of government that worked perfectly well such as the imbalance of power between the Houses and the fact that instead of being a counterpoint to the commons, the house of lords has been crippled by the removal of life peers to be replaced by boot licking party appointed peers.
    As for the royal family the amount that the tax payer spends on their upkeep is minimal now days, the queen and p.o.w etc. , are wealthy in their own right due to shrewd investment and other such things and pay most of there own expenses. The rumour that they are a drain on the taxpayer is nonsense spread by anti-monarchy newspapers and the like. The good they do with charity work and just as ambassadors for britain (and it is britain you're talking about NOT just england :slight_smile: ) far outweighs the small expense.
    I agree with you that tings must be looked at and changes must be made but changing to a Federal system is not the way forward, look at Berlesconi and the French president before this one, both corrupt as you like! It's no better and in many ways worse than our constitutional monarchy.
    Rant over :slight_smile: Sorry i'm something of a Royallist...