1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q about getting married in MA

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blueeyes, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

I was wondering if couples in other states still receive full marriage benefits if they are legally married in Massachusetts (My guess is that it's a no, but I wanted to make sure). My aunts are legally married but I have never asked them about it.

2. Well, while (for the time being) you can still get married here, I don't believe that other states have to recognize it. Most states in New England probably would, and California most likely would, but any other state would probably say well we dont have to recognize you if we dont want to and the rest of America is still resistant to these things.

3. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

at least Connecticut's civil unions have full statewide benefits (im not sure if that is different from MA or not). I'm impressed with Jodi Rell, our repubilcan governor, who signed it into law (I've met her before she's really great). Still, because of the DOMA we still don't get federal benefits. I don't understand how the federal government has any jurisdiction regarding marriage laws since those are typically reserved for the states.

#3 Blueeyes, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  4. Hmm, thats new. I thought the DOMA was shot down and buried. This is why we cant make it federal because the states value their individual powers alot. Which is also why my favorite President Bush is wise by not making it nationally legal or illegal. If you make it nationally legal Middle America will be pissed. If you make it nationally illegal, New England and the West Coast will be mad. Thats why its up to the states. Here if you are married in MA like I said it applies here but if you move to like Texas or Missouri they can say nope we arent recognizing you.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The American political system is, to put it mildly, fucked in the head when it comes to things like "states' rights" because, hello, shouldn't the laws in one part of the country be the same in, oh, say, all the other parts? At least as they pertain to marriage? Full faith and credit, anyone?

Anyway, my understanding is that some states do recognise same-sex marriages in MA while others have specifically passed legislation in order to NOT recognise them. The fact that that can happen in the American system is, as above, ridiculous, crazy, assinine, etc. But yeah, welcome to the patchwork legal system that is supposedly such a wonderful thing.

DOMA is certainly NOT dead--it's completely alive and well. (Thanks, Clinton, you bastard!) One would like to think America the country could get its act together enough to say, "Look, this situation is ridiculous--let's standardise!"

As for Bush being "wise," he's anything but, very specifically to do with the marriage issue, because he is the big champion of the Federal Marriage Amendment which would, nationally, restrict marriage to heterosexuals only. So much for the Republicans' vaunted support of "states' rights."

I keep putting "states' rights" in quotations because I think it's ludicrous that states should have rights that supercede a federal government and, in particular in the US, actually form the basis of some kind of political issue. Either you're one country or you're not one country--you don't get to have it both ways. The fact that the US has no unified Criminal Code is, to me at least, mind-boggling. The fact that states can actually change their constitutions to grant themselves the right to not recognise contracts legally binding in other states (e.g. marriage) is similar mind-blowing. The fact that that ability would be deployed to continue discrimination against non-hetero people? Sadly not as stunning.

6. GuitarGirl1350

Joey posted same time as me, making my post pointless. So I just wrote this over it.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing about civil unions, particularly in the US context, is that they are totally against... what? 40 years of precedent? "Separate but equal" was shot down in the 1960s, for crying out loud! (Brown v. Board of Education)

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry! :icon_sad:

9. Well you know how we differ on our views of President Bush and America's political system. But states right must supercede in order for the Union to stay together. We had a similar issue (nullification) in the 1800's and it led to the Civil War. The South wanted to nullify any law that they didnt like if the Federal government said it applied to all the country. Naturally the majority said umm no you cant nullify anything you want if you dont like it. So they then seceded and formed the Confederacy. Ok enough history. In the current day and age, those who were against homosexuality and homosexual marriage probably wouldnt do something as drastic as secession, but there would be mass protests, ignoring of the laws, screaming that it goes against state rights, against democracy etc. It would be pure pandemonium. Those states who were pro gay would shriek in the same way if it were nationally illegal. This country was founded on states having alot of rights, in fact the proto Constitution, the Articles of Confederation had states having alot of power and the federal government having little; classic decentralization. When the Constitution was written, it centralized America and gave the federal government more power. It did NOT eliminate states powers. The people in America are just too different on some issues to just "put up or shut up" if something like this is made legal or illegal nationally. On some issues it just has to be left to the states or we wouldnt survive. But you are right, some states will recognize marriages made here and some have legislation saying they dont have to

10. 24601

I don't mean to derail, but...

Does this imply that you... approve of the current president?

To what Joey posted, I'm kind of in agreement. I think the United States is rather far behind, compared to the rest of the modern world. I think we, as a country, have evolved to much more than a union of coexisting but separate states, and should embrace that. That's not saying that decentralizing some things is a bad thing, but key issues such as gay marriage shouldn't be able to be overruled by state governments. Taxes and other local government work I can see - who knows best than the local officials? But, on issues that affect all the citizens of the country as a whole, such as same-sex marriage (I suppose rather than all, I should have said "citizens in all states"), that the state governments have no right to overturn a federal legislature.

That being said... that would be rather counterproductive in the state of Massachusetts. Don't get me wrong, I fully support same sex marriage, etc., but I don't believe there should be exceptions to rules, even those that affect me closely. If something is recognized in one state, it should be recognized in all states. But only the Federal government has power to enforce that, not a single state legislature.

I'm not sure if this post is coherent or not. I'll come back and add more later, if this topic continues. I gotta get away from this glowing eyesore that is my computer for now, though.

11. President Bush does have his flaws, and he does stupid things often but I dont think he's bad overall; we've had worse. And it isnt that I dont see both of your points but it would be hard for America to continue since we arent in unison on an issue like this.

12. GuitarGirl1350

We might have had worse, but not MUCH worse. Buchannan is statistically the worst president in history (also, speculated to be gay due to his relationship with a senator from Mississippi, and lack of female conquests. He had a woman with whom he was presumed to have a relationship with in the public life, but lived with a male senator for many years.) (also, he's credited as the only important political figure from Pennsylvania thoughout history. -_-) Bush is still in the dregs.

13. You're right he's going down fast but like you've said there are worse

14. Double Dubya

When I went to Boy’s State and ran for Office I got to meet Governor Baldacci and we talked about gay marriage. I don’t like him anymore. He wants to make civil unions that would protect couples, :eusa_naug but he has too many religious views to allow marriage. It would make his wife worth less...:rolleyes:

15. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

The main argument against gay marriage and for civil unions (ie: separate but equal) is that it's a religious institution. However, in my opinion, the second the government gave married couples special rights made it a government institution, effectively making the argument a moot point. Mr. Bush really shows his vision of homosexuality down here in Texas where, because of his influence as governor, while somewhat coupled with his successor of choice, there is a state constitutional amendment against gay marriage, no civil unions, and even anti-sodomy laws (basically, homosexuality is illegal in its entirety). Oh how I love our president. -sarcasm-

16. justjoshoh

There have been several historic instances in the past and many instances even today where the rights extended to a person in one State, Commonwealth, etc. is not necessarily extended to the people among the other states. It is the patchwork of laws on a particular issue that will cause the federal government to make a national policy.

The desegregationist pushed for the removal of the "Jim Crow" laws in the southern states. They didn't just sit down and say well maybe our fellow Black colleagues here in the northern states should not be afforded the same rights as us, because that creates an exception to policy in other states.

Gay marriage advocates are not trying to create exceptions to policy, we are asking for equal rights. Be it from local governments, state legislatures, state courts, Congress, or the federal courts, we are looking to be treated as equals to our straight counterparts. There are 1138 federal benefits that are denied to thousands of couples in the United States, merely because the couple is a same-sex couple. It is through the efforts of advocacy, like that in MA, that will create federal policy.

17. Well, we may be revoking gay marriage in November so it could get worse. Hopefully we wont

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually no, you're not--that got voted down a few weeks ago. The earliest it could happen now is 2012.

19. Oh good, the tide has changed. There was a vote in June but I hadnt heard the outcome

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, those laws might be on the book (the anti-"sodomy" ones) but they have no legal weight since 2003, when Lawrence v. Texas came out. Thank the gods that one got by the US Supreme Court before that moron appointed the two super-rightwingers. Oh no wait, I forgot: one is supposedly "moderate," where "moderate" means slightly left of Scalia.