1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hardest coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

ok so what has been/will be your hardest coming out? I would have to say the hardest coming out would have to be coming out to my mom. I literally thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. But you know what its has been a year since I came out to her and everything is great. A very close second would have to be my dad.

Just curious to learn what others have to say about their coming outs.

2. My hardest will probably be either my mom or my sister. My mom is very pro gay but I know she'll feel like she did something wrong and I'll have to convince her that its out of our hands. My sister is very pro gay as well, but she's the Mouth of the North, as soon as I tell her the entire state will know in a matter of days.

3. 24601

My mom definitely. I was crying and a nervous wreck. I didn't actually tell her, but made her guess... over... and over... until she guessed right. I never actually came out to my dad - my mom told him.

4. GuitarGirl1350

It hasn't happened yet, but it will be to my best friend of 10 years. I know he does not accept gays but I have come to the point where I decided that if something so trivial as my sexuality defines me as a friend to him, he's not the loyal friend I thought he was.
    I want this to happen soon.

and I know there's many ways it could backfire. He's part of the over-zealous religious right that I despise (I'm not exaggerating. I've stated before that I have no problem with Christians, but I do with those who are self-righteous and bigoted.) We argue over things alot, but it's in such a way that we see the other's perspective and RESPECT it, even if we think the other is wrong. For example, he's pro-life and I'm pro-choice. We've had many debates about it, and it's something he's very passionate about, but we respect the other's beliefs. He disagrees with me, but feels I have a right to think what I want. I've never met another member of his church (which is really more of a cult) who is that respectful of a differing belief. (I went for a while.)
    But, to him, homosexuality is more severe than abortion. It's a filthy, sinful behaviour displayed to spite God. It's the ultimate act of betrayal to his faith. And while he is able to respect my thoughts on many other topics of religion, I'm not certain he will tolerate my sexuality, let alone accept it.
    But as I said before, if something so trivial as my sexuality defines me as a friend, I don't need his friendship.
    I think I stayed on topic...

5. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

Let's try my parents. My mormon parents. I will, in one fell swoop, go from their ideal mormon golden boy to a firmly agnostic gay--pretty much all at once. Oh what a joy that will be to experience.

6. TeeBe

My mom, who now refuses to look me in the eye and is generally silent...

7. Zec24

My mother's side of the family. They are catholic and very traditional. It doesn't help that I am the oldest grandchild and everyone looks to me to set a good example, and I know this will not be their idea of a good example. Up until that point in time, my parents were the hardest to come out to. I told them just before christmas and we haven't seriously talked about it since then.

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would have been my dad... but my mom "outed" me (with my consent) so I didn't have to tell him. He hasn't said a single word about it so far.

9. davo-man

Id say my friend luke...i had heard that my other friend,Susie, had told him (i forgave her for it, cos i was gunna tell him eventually)...and anyway i thought it would be a good idea for him to hear it from me or at least give him a chance for him to ask any questions etc....so one lunch time i told him that i had something to talk to him about...but then the bell went so i cut it off and told him i would talk to him the next day...that night he msgd me asking wat was wrong.....silly me didnt check my fone that night until midnight so i didnt reply, anyway the next day at lunch i pulled over to the side at lunch and said "I heard Susie told you something about me..." and he stood there with a completely blank expression on his face...so i went on to say "Do you know wat im talking about...?"

He said "no, wats wrong?"

"Um i honestly thought susie told you...um...dont worry about it, ill tell you later"

"Um ... Is it true...? are you....?"

"Um yeah.."

After that he walked off completely confused and weirded out....Ivan even commented, "Are you alright...you look like you just got punched"

So yeah tat was pretty annoying, he hasnt said anything since then, and he kinda fliches if i touch him at all which is annoying, but hes getting better now

10. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, of the 3 people that know, 1 I didn't even tell, so that doesn't count, 1 told online so it was pretty easy anyways. That leaves my mom. That was unbelievably difficult to just say those few words.

11. justjoshoh

The hardest person to come out to is a family member that has passed. Validate your relationships with your family members now in the present, because you never know when something might happen in the future.

I remember driving out to my grandmother's and grandfather's burial site and telling them. I knelt down there at the site and talked and cried for some time, trying to come to terms with missing that opportunity.

12. Kimi

Will be to my parents and my dad's side of family

My parents often make fun of homosexual and my dad's side of family is a bunch of assholes so that might be mess things up pretty bad:dry:

13. Corey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ditto.... although i am pretty sure my grandparents know that i am gay (they found me in bed with a man... Just sleeping)... and i want to tell my uncle b/c he would definately flip out

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think really the first person I ever told was the time coming out was hardest. And he was pretty much a stranger.

My mum was the second-hardest, probably, just because there was so much riding on that.

And I told my grandmother in a letter because she lived in Australia and we didn't get to see her that much. That was tricky.

15. Corey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i htink my hardest one will be in a few day when i tell one of closer friends... she has had a crush on me for at least 2 years... it sounds like i am being cocky... but this woman is crazy... she cried when i went away to NZ... and then cried when i got back last week...
    this one will be interesting:bang:

16. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

my family was a piece of cake to come out to but i was still really nervous leading up to it. i guess the hardest will be my best guy friend though, ive told a lot of close friends but i have yet to tell him, its kinda bad that i havent