1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public art competition - I need opinions!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by George1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, I'm entering into this competition of sorts and I need opinions of my entry.
    This residential company has given out a public brief for anyone to submit ideas for a piece of public art to be put in a new estate they're developing near one of the campuses of my school.

The design had to be something which represented some aspect of the community's values, something to represent Aboriginal culture and its link to our modern culture and to try and include something relating to the elemements of wind or water.

My design is a minimalist arch, which represents linking one side of the community to the other, and it has a glass strip of turqoise which runs through, which represents the element of wind. The element of water is represented around the arch as it will be situated in wetlands. This can show the unity between the elements and the people.
    At the base, I have "branches" of sorts which represent message sticks the Aboriginals used in history.
    So together, my entry is kinda like bridging a message of unity to the community.

I've got pics of my design here:
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1489

Keep in mind though this is just a concept which they want in a few weeks time. If they like my ideas, then they'll get me to develop the idea further for it to be built.
    The winning submission gets an $80,000 budget to have it built to!

A few people in my school were going to enter, but I was the only one who actually followed through with it, so hopefully I can compete with the professionals who will be submitting their ideas too.

2. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Wow that is rather cool.......stuff like this can only be done in melbourne, brisbane couldn't handle the awesomeness. Goodluck....

3. Greggers

*bows to the awesome idea*

Go for it! Thumbs up!

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. :grin: I'm going to eventually go through the design again in Turbo CAD and make it look a bit more less concept-imagey lol.

5. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. KittyBoy

I reckon go for it, They are awesome! Not even Sydney can do stuff like that!

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys! :grin:
    On Tuesday my school principal is going to be taking a look at my folio for the project.. I hope he likes it! Lol so far he's apparently been gunning for me.

Is there anything on/about it you guys don't like at all?

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    George, its a great idea! I love it and good luck!