1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BNP member elected to seat (UK politics)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ccdd, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I am very, very sad.

The Yorkshire and Humber region in the UK just elected a British National Party (BNP) member to the European Parliament. To those who don't know, this is basically a racist, far-right party that I would like to see banned, except for the fact that I believe in freedom of speech.

Sorry if this is too political for these boards but I am from this region and I am very, very sad. I'm glad I voted (not for them) - but very, very sad that enough of my neighbours voted for the BNP to get this man elected. Currently, it looks like they got about 7.5% of the vote nationwide, which makes me angry and sad.

Sorry if any of you are supporters of the BNP, or if this is too political for this board, but I just had to write this.

2. -Michael-

They're not racist.

they just say out loud what half of britain say behind close doors.

They want an all english country
    i can turn around blindfolded and point to someone who wants the same.

I'm not saying i agree with them.
    In fact i'm dead set against them.
    but some people think it's a new KKK who could be elected into parliament.

3. Martin_Testing

They are racist. They ban anybody who is not caucasian from joining their party, would strip membership of any citizens who don't meet their ideology of race, and many have a criminal record of racial offences.

As for the next KKK, Nick Griffin gave an interview with ex-Ku Klux Klan members in Texas a few years ago talking about white supremacy in Britain. The founder of the BNP also has an infamous photo of himself in a Nazi costume in front of a shrine of Hitler.

If that doesn't qualify as racist then I don't know what does. The idea that they aren't racist because people secretly agree with them is ludicrous. That is like saying Americans werent racist because lots of people used to dislike African Americans before the Civil Rights Movement.

It really says something about how cold hearted people are if they're still being taken in by white supremacy and propaganda on immigration. It just highlights how extreme racism still is in todays society.

4. Greggers

I have not read alot about the BNP, but its a "trendy topic" on Twitter so i clicked it...

People are FREAKING about the BNP getting seats, so im starting to think they are the real deal in horrbile. Anyone have some links to info i can read on them?

5. gaius

gaius Guest

at the moment, the bnp has aroun 6% of the votes and 1 MEP but we're still waiting on the north west vote which could see, if the predicitions are true, Nick Griffin, the leader of the BNP get elected, scary times for the uk

6. Martin_Testing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party

That pretty much sums them up.

Nick Griffin just confirmed as a MEP for Europe. :bang:

7. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

This is seriously not good. I am familiar with te party (one of my friends, who is also gay supports the party). Theor policies just cannot work, what they are proposing to do is to bring manufacturing back to the shores of britain BUT kick all the migrant workers out. This makes no sense because this happened to West Germany in the 50's, they had to bring in unskilled migrant workers to do the jobs the people thought were below them. This would probably be the same case if it happened in the UK.

Is this the end? no.
    Will they get more votes? Probably. You have to remember these are desparate times, people are looking to the far reaches of the political spectrum for an answer (same as the germans did in 1933). It's a simple fact of life that people do no learn from their mistakes. It is scary times for the UK and I hope the BNP don't get more power.

8. gaius

gaius Guest

Nick griffin has been elected, thats a 6.5% vote share for the BNP, they now have a large amount of money and a platform to preach their hatred from.

9. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

I cannot even express how angry this makes me so I won't try!!!

10. partietraumatic

People,go and read up about the BNP Youth,scary scary stuff. Sounds like indoctrination of their young members if you ask me.

Also i think they actually got 2 MEPs :frowning2: Luckily our national elections are first past the post on proportional representation so its thus unlikely theyll ever get into power.