1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some input-advice-inspiration-thoughts-etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hoppip, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hoppip

I'm in need of inspiration, mes amis, so I've devised some questions for you all to answer. If you'd like to take the time to answer them, please do so with a bit of seriousness (yes, I know, ironic coming from me). You can answer each question however you want. You can segue, argue, tell anecdotes, refute the validity of the question, philosophize, etc. These questions are as open-ended as you'd like them to be. You can think outside, inside, around, underneath, over, above, or next to the box. Whatever you choose to write, just make sure it comes from your heart. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the efforts. :slight_smile:

Questions:

What if...

1. You had an indiscriminate time left to live, but you couldn't explicitly tell anyone that you were going to die. What would you do with the rest of your time alive, and why?
    2. You were asked to explain and defend the significance of your own existence; what would you say and why? How would you defend your "right to live?"
    3. If you already knew your (peaceful) death was imminent, would you rather know the exact time and date, or stay "blissfully" ignorant? Why?
    4. How would knowing about your death affect you socially? Do you think you could maintain your relationships, strengthen them, or would you distance yourselves from your friends?

#1 Hoppip, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. Eponine

1. If my life was to end soon, I'd make sure that I would do something meaningful everyday, and live life to the fullest. I would try to appreciate life and everything. Leave an impression on those who matter to me, and possibly to people I don't really know. I've gone through most of my life with a bitchy attitude already, so I'd want to show everyone else just how much I appreciate and care for them. I wouldn't want anyone to be saddened over my death. I want to be remembered in a positive way, and in the end, it would probably be easier for everyone to move on with their lives.

2. I'm already alive. I exist. I don't think there's much more to it, as long as I live my life how I believe it should be lived. I may not contribute as much to society as others would, but I know I've made some sort of impact somewhere, good or bad. I've made the same decisions that most others have made, gone against some as well. But in the end, it all makes me feel alive, and I'm sure it somehow makes others feel the same too.

3. I would not want to know the exact date and time of the end because then I'd feel rushed. Deadlines are not fun to deal with. I don't want to go through my last days doing a half-assed job at whatever I felt that I needed to do. Sure, I may not get to do everything, but quality over quantity any day.

4. I can't say that I haven't thought about this in the past. It's something I think about often actually. In the end, it always comes down to me thinking that there's a "selfless" choice and a "selfish" one. I'd always think that choosing the "selfless" one for the sake of being selfless may be selfish itself, but that's just paradoxical in the end. So I've never really know which I'd be.
    Would I want my friends and everyone else to not worry about me or end up grieving over my death? Of course. But after more thinking about it and thinking about what I would want to happen if anyone I cared about was dying, I think that maybe the best option would be to try and strengthen relationships. Why? I guess it would go along with my answer to #1.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You had an indiscriminate time left to live, but you couldn't explicitly tell anyone that you were going to die. What would you do with the rest of your time alive, and why?
    If I couldn't explicitly tell people I was going to die, I'd try to find a way of saying goodbye without making it obvious. It depends on how much time I have left - whether it's a week or a year - but I'd try to set things in order, tell the important people in my life how much I love them, then set about doing things I've always wanted to - take a hot air balloon ride, that sort of thing.

You were asked to explain and defend the significance of your own existence; what would you say and why? How would you defend your "right to live?"
    I've tried. I've done the best I can to help people and to make a difference to someone, somewhere. I may not succeed a lot of the time, but I do what I can.

If you already knew your (peaceful) death was imminent, would you rather know the exact time and date, or stay "blissfully" ignorant? Why?
    If I knew that it was coming sooner rather than later, I would probably want to know. That way, I could make sure to fit in everything I wanted to do and to say and I wouldn't die without having done something I really wanted to.

How would knowing about your death affect you socially? Do you think you could maintain your relationships, strengthen them, or would you distance yourselves from your friends?
    I'd probably try and maintain them. I wouldn't try to become friends with someone new, I don't think, because that would mean one more person who would be hurt at my death who wouldn't be before. I think I consider that grief stronger than any benefit they would have felt through being my friend.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. You had an indiscriminate time left to live, but you couldn't explicitly tell anyone that you were going to die. What would you do with the rest of your time alive, and why? I would absolutly positively live out the rest of my life to the fullest, I would strive to get as much done on my life list as possible (for those who don't know what a life list is, it is a list of things I feel I need to do before I can feel complete enough to die). I would at least attempt to right all my wrongs in life, mainly dealing with my father issues. In addition I would also live openly in reguards to my affectional orientation.

2. You were asked to explain and defend the significance of your own existence; what would you say and why? How would you defend your "right to live?" I actually had a hard time with this one, due to my self-esteem issuse that are very deeply rooted in my psyche. I finally came to this: I strongly believe that every being has a "right to live". Each and every life has some form of significance, if only very little. I also believe that there is something to learn from each of these life forms around us, and after we have learned all we can then our journey will be complete.

3. If you already knew your (peaceful) death was imminent, would you rather know the exact time and date, or stay "blissfully" ignorant? Why? I would not want to know at all. I would want it to come as it is meant to, and if I know when it is coming then I would live the remainder of my life in fear of the exact moment. If I let it come without notice, then I can live in peace surrounded by my friends and family and be happy if only for a brief timeframe.

4. How would knowing about your death affect you socially? Do you think you could maintain your relationships, strengthen them, or would you distance yourselves from your friends? Knowing about my impending death would, I imagine, strengthen my relationships with everyone who has positively effected me throughout the course of my life. I would certainly want to spend each and every moment I had left with those I love and those who love me.

5. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knowing me and my thought patterns, my answers may or may not make much sense, and I have no idea how relevant to the original questions they will be, but here it goes!

You had an indiscriminate time left to live, but you couldn't explicitly tell anyone that you were going to die. What would you do with the rest of your time alive, and why?

So, I know that I'm going to die but can't tell anyone... I would make the most of it. I would try and to something with my life that is productive. I would try to do everything that I new I should have done up to that point but hadn't. Whether that be a long deserved apology or just being there for some one, I would try to make it count. One of the people I've known and been friends with just died, completely out of the blue... He was amazing, I want people to remember me the same way I remember him. I don't mean that to be selfish, I just want to make a good impact on peoples lives. I know people chose to remember mostly/only the good things but I would try to make sure that in the last moments of my life there isn't anything negative to remember. I would do everything I could to make everyone around me happy. I would also make the best out of it for myself. If I could find a way to, I would got hot air ballooning, bungee jumping, skydiving, paragliding, hang-gliding, I would see if I could go base jumping but that would be hard. I would just want to make the best out of my life, for me and those around me.
    This is making me wonder, why aren't I doing this already... I don't know when I'll die, I could be hit by a car tomorrow, on the other hand I could live until I'm 100 years old as my family has a long history of longevity, not one of my great grandparents dies before the age of 92, except my one great grandma but that was in a farming accident so I don't really think it counts.

You were asked to explain and defend the significance of your own existence; what would you say and why? How would you defend your "right to live?"

I'm not sure I would... I am slightly misanthropic and, though I try to do a lot of the things I dislike society for not doing, or I avoid things I dislike society for doing, I'm still here, taking up space, using resources... No matter how hard I try, it is nearly impossible in this day and age to not have a negative impact on the environment. On the other hand, it's my life, I like being alive! I also do try to have a positive impact on other people and the world around me. I wish I am doing more but I am trying already. I would, I think, end up defending my right to live mostly on the basis of my potential future. If I were to live, who knows what I could/would do, if I die, no one will know what could have been. For better or worse, that possibility of making a good difference in the future is reason enough for me to defend my right to live.

If you already knew your (peaceful) death was imminent, would you rather know the exact time and date, or stay "blissfully" ignorant? Why?

I've thought about this quite a lot, mostly because it is a topic that arises fairly often. If I were to know the exact day, I have a deadline for myself, I would know when I had to do everything I want to do, or not do. This could be good, but I don't think I would like that... I have a tendency to procrastinate and, while I don't know whether or not that tendency would change if I know my death is coming, it would give me time. I don't think I would want that certainty. If I don't know when I will die, I will have to make every single second count because I wouldn't know if it were my last or not. I would have to do everything I ever wanted to in the shortest amount of time possible because otherwise, I might not get the chance to do it. This again makes me wonder why I'm not already doing this... gah

How would knowing about your death affect you socially? Do you think you could maintain your relationships, strengthen them, or would you distance yourselves from your friends?

If I were to distance myself from them, I might spare them some pain but I really don't think it would amount to very much. I also think that they would end up wondering why they didn't fight to keep the friendship alive (I would anyways) and I think this would be much more damaging than getting closer and strengthening the relationship. As I said/wrote earlier, I would want to make the most positive impact on their life that I could. I would try to do everything to let them know how much I care for them and how much they mean to me. I would want their last memories of me to be the best possible because it would really suck to lose a friend on a bad note. I would kick myself for years, even if I couldn't have done anything about it. I couldn't do that to them...

Well, those are my thoughts... I hope they have made some sense.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. Hell, I'm going to die anyway, I don't see why telling people makes it any slower. I'd probably go crazy and do the things that were "off-limits" before, though what exactly I don't really know.

2. I don't. Without any inherent purpose to life, in the most basic of terms, I don't think there is an unspoken worth or value or right to every single life. I simply go about doing it because I might as well while I'm here, and I keep from killing people because I expect them to do the same.

3. Rather know when, where, and how. I would hate to be right in the middle of something and just drop dead, plus I'm sure I could make the situation a whole lot more entertaining for the survivors if I knew when it would happen.

4. I would probably be a lot nicer to the people I like, but a total asshole to the ones I don't because I would know that it wouldn't matter much anyway - I would be almost dead!

7. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

1. I would do the same things I do now. I mean if you start planning a bucket list then you might already be dead by the time you finish it. Im happy now so ill be happy then.

2. We are all going to die, its part of life, there is no way to get around it. I have a right to die by any means necessary. In order to die we must live. It doesnt matter how or when just as long as I do in order to have the right to die. So in order to die I must have a right to live.

3. would want to know. basically "pfft...This isnt how I die" would be a dominate thought and you could do more with your life. Fear would be eliminated from a lot of your everyday worries.

4. Strengthen....untill the final days when everyone is calling to say goodbye and all the phone calls, texts, doorbells etc. the final days might be annoying.

8. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't possibly answer those very....philisophical? (idk) questions, but it has to be asked.
    why ask these questions? are you going to die in the next month? :lol:

9. Ben

Ben

1. You had an indiscriminate time left to live, but you couldn't explicitly tell anyone that you were going to die. What would you do with the rest of your time alive, and why?

If I knew I had less than a day left to live, I'd write letters and send them second class to people who I want to say goodbye to. That way I can send them a message from beyond the grave and leave behind a memory of myself to them that surpasses the final memory of death.

2. You were asked to explain and defend the significance of your own existence; what would you say and why? How would you defend your "right to live?"

My existence is significant to events that I don't know of yet. I deserve to live as much as possible so these events can happen.

3. If you already knew your (peaceful) death was imminent, would you rather know the exact time and date, or stay "blissfully" ignorant? Why?

The exact time. The pain of not knowing will be greater than the pain of knowing. I would want my last few days to be structured and not to leave the world halfway through doing something. That way I can round things off nicely.

4. How would knowing about your death affect you socially? Do you think you could maintain your relationships, strengthen them, or would you distance yourselves from your friends?

Distance myself. It's not nice losing a friend. I would want to minimise the pain caused by my death and my way of this would be to distance myself partially and make them think that I have no more to offer as a friend, but still maintain a friendship to the point that they're not regretful after my death that they didn't speak to me more.