1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtle racist attitude against gay Asian Australians within the continent?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LowestVocal017, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LowestVocal017

In the middle of a conversation I was having with a few high-schol alumni friends who came back from Australia, the subject of gay Asians randomly came up. While we were mostly talking about the racism against them in the U. S., there was a quick mention about veiled racism in the Australian gay communities specifically towards the asian males. I was a bit surprised, because I originally thought that such a thing was only notably in the U. S. (I thought wrong, huh?).

Those who are located in Australia or have been there, would you say that it's true? If so, what can you describe about it? Eversince my friends brought it up, I've been interested in it.

#1 LowestVocal017, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. sdc91

I'm not from Australia, but from what I've seen in magazines/TV/media, there's some racist attitudes towards Asians and Pacific islanders.

I have a magazine in which someone wrote into mention how some he was talking to some guys at a party and they were complaining about the one Asian guy there, saying he was bringing down the hotness of the collective group.

On a side note, since I'm half Asian and half white, it's kind of weird because I feel that white guys view me as Asian (undesirable) and Asians view me as not Asian (somewhat desirable? Depends... I've noticed a lot of Asian guys like only white guys).

3. Fiorino

Well, I for the record, think Australians are hot, and I also think Asians are hot.
    So for me at least, it would be the best of both worlds.

In all seriousity though, I've heard that racism is a problem in Australia.

Communitychannel (aka Natalie Tran), who is Australian herself made an
    awesome video about this:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkw27k9J0c&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's true, we do have a fair bit of racism down here. However our problems aren't as bad as some other countries.

5. close2close

Hi there,

I'm Asian in Australia and I've got to let you know that gay Australians are very much racist if compared to their str8 counterpart. What your friend told you is true: Australians are racist. For those who claim otherwise is totally false. And even if compared to other countries, the degree of racism here is HIGH in the LGBT community. It is not subtle racism. So much for these aussie hypocrites who always accuses others discriminating them when they themselves are worst than any other type people.

If you want to verify this, just go to any aussie gay dating sites. You will see pages after pages of "No Asian please". The problem in Australia is that they don't even admit they are racist. If you tell them they are racist, they simply reply it's just preference/"but ....". It's the same excuse they make everywhere.

I've tried talking to locals but they will just treat you as invisible. I myself love both Asians and Caucasians and other races. I also felt sad that local born Asians are instilled with the same racism thought as the whites. Local Asians think Asians are inferior and consequently they felt insecure and only like whites. The most shocking truth is that the local Asians allowed this racism to happen and thinks the excuses the whites used are okay, that it's "simply a preference". What do you think when one can't even appreciate his own-self? His confidence is destroyed. His life is definitely affected...

So for overseas gay Asians, think twice before coming to Australia. For local gay Asians, I hope you can value your own race more and fight for racism. As for me, I'm leaving this place soon....

#5 close2close, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Racism, at least in my opinion, is rampant throughout the entire gay community - Australia, the United States, and beyond.

7. Mad Man L

There's not a lot of racism against Asians I feel (at least in my area), but there is quite a bit of racism against Pacific Islanders.

But I can understand why some may have a preference yet not necessarily be racist. I have no problem with Asians, but when it comes to who I'm attracted to, it's generally white people. To some degree, if I was friendly to people on the basis of their attractiveness, I'd be racist.

But I'm not. I'd much rather a neighbourhood of Asians than a neighbourhood of bogans. But I can understand why such a thing would happen.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's both a general, slight racist attitude toward asians, and a general slightly homophobic attitude toward gay men. I don't think the combination of both in any person is intrinsically likely to garner more objections from bigots than you would statistically expect.

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not just the gay community. Racism still permeates the institutions and cultures of all Western nations (and certainly non-Western nations as well).

10. ICTOAUN

Hey Australia, grow up!

11. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

Gay asian born Australian, I would say yes to the racism to LGBT Asian Australians.
    From experience, dating sites, speed dating. etc.
    There's a lot of racism, and for many GAM (Gay Asian Males) they feel that only through dating white men that they can fit in with society
    But at the end of the day, you are who you are, respect yourself, be proud of who you are.
    Haters gonna hate!

12. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes there is racism towards gay Asians in Australia. I do see some profiles which state: "No Asians" and even though we have our preferences, its better to state an less offensive remark on profiles than that.

I am friends with an few gay Australian males and they do love living out in Australia.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not understand how posting on a dating site's profile "no asians" is racist. Well, I guess the way that is worded would seem mean. But, it's just a preference....

14. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well an non racist approach on an profile would be:'prefer white guys' instead of saying "no asians" or other labels such as 'no fatties'.that is unfair and if u prefer an inshape guy, say what you prefer such as " prefer fit looking guys" and so on.

I not asian but if I see an guy that says "No asians" in his profile, I wont bother responding to his add.

#14 fiddlemiddle, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess so. Some people get offended by the "prefer" too.

16. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like I said the correct way of posting an add is what you are into, not what you are not into. If an Asian or someone else you not into hits you up, all you got to do is not respond.

But going around and posting "No Asians" brings back the old days of seeing signs of "No Colored"...Of course everyone is entitled to their own sexual preference.

I have my likes and dislikes but I dont post "No Asians" or "sorry no Indians". I leave it to my discretion on who I respond to.

It’s usually white guys who are so callous about posting which races they AREN’T into. However it doesn’t make them racist, but it does make them socially ignorant. Get a fucken clue is what I say to all these douchebags who do post classless profiles like this and have some tact.

17. PaulinPerth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a start - I love Asian guys. Probably explains why I have a Taiwanese boyfriend! However, yes there are racists in Australia. There are racists in most countries I suspect. Australia is a mostly white country and as such there is a prevalence of white attitudes and preferences. Pity, because in my experience Asian guys are far more personable, considerate and in touch with their feelings than western guys. But that is just me. No doubt there are obnoxious Asian guys out there too. I haven't met them though - am I just lucky? Being obnoxious to our fellow man (and woman) based on race or any other physical characteristic is a human trait - not an Australian or Asian or any other '..ian' trait. To be fair - I am not attracted to guys that smoke, smell bad etc.

But the human race is one of only two species that has sex for fun (I believe that the other is dolphins) so maybe our species is genetically pre-dispositioned to being shallow. But lets be honest - there are arseholes in every walk of life... any Asian guys that have had bad experiences feel free to message me and say hi so I can make it up to you :icon_bigg:icon_bigg

18. prism

That's strange. I didn't even know there was any notable racism against Asians in any LGBT community. I guess I understand if you think you're not attracted to Asians/only attracted to certain ethnicities, but it also sounds ignorant to me. How can you just rule someone out like that?

The racism in Australia doesn't surprise me. They're surrounded by Asian countries, so they're trying to preserve their Australian culture. Not that that's an excuse.

My attitude toward it is that there there are 3 or 4 billion Asians on Earth, so you're going to have to get used to it whether you want to or not.

19. Gen

Gen

I'm not sure where this Gay-Asian racism is coming from in the U.S. I'm never seen anything towards Asains in any accord, and I have a lot of Asian friends.

I think what people have to remember is that the U.S isnt a small country, and there are fifty different states. I have traveled to many different countries and throughout the majority of the U.S and there really isnt as much difference as people deem it to be. As far as the various states go there are differences between us. So dont believe the stereotypes. I would say it's probably cooler to be diverse in California than anything else. There werent really popular kids in my highscool, but there were the people who the "most known". My and my best friends were of these people. One was a openly gay mexican, track team captain and in student council, one was a straight asian footbal captain, the other was a russian christian church-a-holic lol. I am a mixed, gay, overachiever.

I realize that not every state in America is like this, but that the point :/.

20. highflyers

highflyers Guest

I thought I'd drag this thread up to comment because you were talking about the USA being exceptional towards racism.

As someone who grew up in Sweden and the UK, and has been travelling all over the world, I've always maintained that the US is surprisingly racist towards Indians, even in comparison to countries like Thailand and Japan.

I've never come across a gay racist in the United Kingdom or anywhere in Western Europe. In comparison, the first forums I go on in the United States are filled with racist comments against Indians and the entire culture seems hostile towards Indians.

The United States is favorable if you're Black, otherwise you're better off somewhere like Canada, Australia or Europe, or even Japan or Thailand.