1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For or Against Bruno?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rocking23, Jun 18, 2009.

?

Bruno? You like?

1. Loves it!

78 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. It's demeaning :(

24 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. rocking23

2. Shevanel

I don't really understand how it could be demeaning. Thats like saying how Borat was demeaning toward the people of Kazakhstan. Or how Ali G is demeaning toward chavs? or wankstas? XD Either way, I think it'd be silly to see this as a negativity.

3. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    er gefaellt mir sehr!!!

4. Greggers

I personally want to meet this guy and thank him for making this movie.

Some people just get offended too easily. If we cant make fun of ourselves then we need to loosen up, juuuuust a little bit.

Im not saying its "Totally and 100% not offensive" cause im sure it will be. Not every heterosexual person who watches this is going to become less homophobic. Im sure some redneck will walk in, watch the movie, and then go kick the shit out of the next gay person he sees because he assumes he is exactly like Bruno. But guess what, that redneck was not going to change his mind from an hour and something long movie anyways.

Im sure this will improve the views of alot of people who are more open to being changed. If anything, it gets the word out. During these times i think its good to get as much media attention as possible. Even having Bill O'Riley dump on everything good and positive in the gay community helps us in the end.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really find him offensive or anything like that. I think we'd be overly sensitive if we got offended by it, and it would just make it easier for people to ridicule our community if we couldn't have a laugh and a joke at jokes he makes. Bruno aims to expose peoples idiocy towards homosexuals, and he does that by emphasising the stereotypes attached to our community. It's not ideal to use them, but it's sort of necessary for his comedy so that people can identify what he's meant to be portraying without him actually telling us.

I think there are far more serious problems to tackle before we start getting up in arms about comedy characters.

6. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not making fun of gays, but the reactions of homophobes to gays.

7. No One

I think its a horrible movie.

8. Shevanel

I'd like to know how you've already seen it.

9. Apocalypte

I think it's going to be hilarious. I was honestly nearly falling around laughing at the trailer.

10. SirBoobalot

It doesn't look particularly funny, I guess it's just not the kind of humour I like - but eh, bad movies happen all the time. When there people losing their jobs, their rights, their safety to homophobia... it seems pretty pointless to get all het up over some silly film.

11. kramer362

It's making fun of the over the top stereotypes and assumptions about gay people made by homophobes, and exploits unknowing homophobes for millions to see. I think it'll be hilarious.

Personally though his best character to me is Ali G and he kinda missed the mark with that movie, he should have done it like the series, or the Borat and Bruno movies where he prays on unsuspecting people, haha.

12. I am not offended by it, I won't go see it though. Also, what he did to eminem was priceless. I can't stand that asshole.

13. AXavierB

I don't think it looks offensive at all. It's making fun of gay stereotypes, not gay people.

I think some gay people these days take offense too easily. I think a little self-deprecation is fun.

I saw what happened with Eminem too, and I agree it was priceless. The look on the guy's face just made me laugh.

14. KnightAssassin

i am going to see it period lol like family guy it shows they don't say gay is bad but the other people's reactions are ..... i mean listen to the family guy episode were peter gets injected with gay gene the commentary is all pro-gay .... so ya i like some of the gay jokes to i mean its not all demeaning to us ... so ya .

15. Just Adam

of the two options i put demeaning as it may reinforce some people sterotypes, allthough i see it more as a parody of the streotypical view. really though i just dont care:S

i know it doesent define me and no reasaonable person would make any judgements on it

16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no problems with movies like this because ,as previously mentioned, they make fun of the stereotypical behaviors that gay people are believed to be. As an aspiring comedian myself, I feel that making fun of stereotypes society projects onto certain people is one of the best ways to destroy the barrier and show the audience how untrue they really are.

17. kramer362

18. Amy

Amy

I find it hilarious. I hated Borat because it was stupid, but this looks like it'd actually be interesting.

19. Ben

Ben

This looks amazing. I love Bruno.

The only person from Kazakhstan that I've known absolutely hated Borat.

20. djt820

It Will Kick Ass!