1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texting while driving

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jul 14, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. SadConfusedBandGeek

Ehh didn't read the story, but i read the first little bit

But, HOW THE FRICK CAN U TEXT AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME!?!?!!?!?!
    Most people i know can barely walk and text at the same time!!

Crazy-ness!:frowning2:

Such a sad story though!:frowning2: I really hope people actually learn from things like this!!

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be impossible for me. I drive a motorbike, lol.

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

I used to do it, until I ran over the curb too many times and realized I was going to kill myself doing it. Then I stopped.

But it's actually easier than it seems, as long as you have your keys memorized and you have the "auto-spelling/dictionary" feature so you don't have to go letter by letter. But it still takes 80% of my concentration from the road so...

5. Kimi

Here in Japan, we have a law that clamp down using cell phone while driving.
    Because we had cell phones(and text message system by mobile phone) long time ago(about 9 years ago my dad got his first cell phone) and these accidents happend often. It doesn't matter if you are actually on the phone but if you are holding your phone while driving, you are in big trouble.

Some american says that the world's worst drivers are asians but that's not true(Well, it'll becomes true when you are in China) but to me, american drivers are the worst:bang: They don't use signals, blow the horn, sharp brake and start of course and to matter worse they don't care about other drivers. They don't look behind when they changes lane:bang: :bang: :bang:

6. xequar

And yet, two years ago, some 17 year old kid in California killed a cyclist while texting and driving. It never made the news and the kid got literally NO sentence at all. The only reason this is getting any amount of coverage at all is because now it killed multiple people in a car. Personally, I am very anti-cellphone while driving, but it pisses me off that cyclists get treated as second-class citizens in the U.S., and this story is another example of that.

7. davo-man

Well even if i did drive, which i dont, i wouldnt simply because of the example set by my sister...and not in the good way...my sister is the worst driver in the world, texting, calling etc all while speeding and taking corners way too sharply...im actually afraid to get in the car with her...just to show off to me, she went the wrong way around a roundabout, without checking the other lanes...aaargh i dont like herdriving and hate it when she texts/calls and drives...

And in Australia, we also have laws against driving and mobiles, basically you cant call unless you have a hands free thing, but im not too sure about texting

8. CrimsonThunder

I hate working on Drive Thru at work because I always see people talking on their phone and texting and they continue to do it when the drive out. I just wanna tell them to stop it or im calling the police. >_>

9. TriBi

For me, quite often, my car is my office.

I do take calls on my mobile (cell) while driving - but only on a personal handsfree. I will actually sometimes make calls - but again only on handsfree - and only when I can speedial the number when I am stationary. Even so, it is remarkable how much more I have to concentrate on both driving and talking at the same time.

And as for texting - forget it...

Please be safe...

10. Kimi

Just for your information, you can still make a phone call in Japan while you are driving as long as your eyes are not looking at display and your both hands are on the wheel:thumbsup:

11. 24601

I don't think I could even do that. I haven't been driving for all that long, but I really don't see how you could even be marginally safe while texting and driving. Seems pretty stupid.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK it is illegal to use a hand-held phone while driving or in the driving seat of a vehicle with the engine running. Hands-free is OK, as long as you are only receiving calls or the numbers you dial are on single button speed-dial.

It's poorly enforced though, and we regularly see people driving (often not very well) with phones held to their ears.

13. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Lol i see everyone usin a phone whilst driving, i'd do it but i cant drive:icon_bigg

14. Red87

Here in New York its illegal to talk on the phone and drive unless you have a handsfree or a bluetooth headset. Its pretty strictly enforced. Hell, on military posts its illegal to even talk and WALK with a cell phone. If you must talk you have to stand still, but that rule is more out of tradition and standards than it is out of safety.

#14 Red87, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I never make calls on mine when driving. If someone calls me I answer it, tell them I'm driving so can't talk now, and that I'll call them back soon. I then find somewhere safe to park and call back.

If I have a passenger in the car I get them to answer it for me.

Anything else is too dangerous.

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think that's really good, actually. You do see people walking down the street engrossed in their conversation and not paying attention to what's going on around them.

17. SpikySpice

Florida is the state that has the most car accidents happen each years in the Southersn US, that's why they have so many testing here to get a driver licence, I've been studying like crazy

But sadly, thy didnt say anything about the texting while driving in the booklet, they talked mainly about alcohol while driving

18. Jerr

My sister use to do it all the time... oh wait... she still does! lol

I begged her to go the speed limit when it rained while she was texting. lol

I don't text... I'll talk on the phone though... I drive better when I talk to people...

19. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well as thoughtless as this might sound i'm gonna be a little frank in what i'm about to say. Whilst i'm not glad that these five young people had to die and pay the ultimate price for what could have been some wreckless driving. I am glad to hear that no innocent bystanders were mowed down by their actions, or that anyone else was killed.

It's something when your own actions cause you to be unsafe, but when they inflict pain on others and cause others to suffer that's when you really need to analyse what's gone wrong. Personally i try to limit the phone calls in my car to a minimum, speaking only through handsfree built in to my satnav system. Texting at the wheel... are you crazy? Driving safely can be hard enough without the distractions.

Hopefully this sort of incident will make people think twice before doing it in future. I know when I was at school we had assemblies in which family members of those who had been killed in Road Traffic Accidents through either their own neglicence or the negligence of others came in to speak about their loss... and my god it makes you think.

20. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I love how, in the story, it mentions right away that four of the five girls were cheerleaders. God forbid anything happen to the popular girls.

But yeah, laws really have to be passed, and enforced about this kind of thing. Both talking and texting are huge distractions.