1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Unemployed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Jun 20, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I am broke, have high rate bills and am unemployed. Anyone else here feeling the same in their family, or in their own wallets?

2. Apocalypte

I'm unemployed too, I just finished college and I can't find a job at all. Honours degree in Computer Science and my CV's hitting the circular file for level 1 technical support roles, let alone any sort of graduate roles. I really just want to move out of the family home, but while I'm on benefits I can't afford it. 12% unemployment in Ireland at the moment though, time to accept the fact I may have to emigrate soon...

3. Just Adam

ive been unemployed for well never had a real job:S

just a) nothign about im qualified or any good at

i need work i really need money im living off family :frowning2:

if someone offered me a job id do it:S aslong its not cleaning or careing for elderly im no good at that ...oh and lots of maths...jsut because it would bore me to death:S

4. pirateninja

I've just taken about £7,000 in loans to pay for my first year at university, so technically I'm now 7K in debt already myself, my mom's in a little debt herself, and my dad's just making ends meet by putting his house up for rent.

I need a job, like, now. We're just about keeping afloat.

5. mattypants

no money and no jobs means brokesville. 12 % jobloss here too

6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

As to my Irish friend, the US is now over 9 percent, which I can definitely tell you is going to get a hell of a lot worse.

7. Eleanor Rigby

I'm not unemployed, but my husband is working part-time because he hadn't fine anything else. Now with the crisis he hadn't been payed for 4 months and will be probably dissmissed next september. A teacher salary is not much when two people have to live with it. Recently we wanted to find a house because our flat is not very convinient to have children and we realised that there is absolutly nothing to buy or rent that we can afford.
    I try to stay optimistic : at least I won't lose my job except if I make an enormous mistake so if our financial situation is not getting better anytime soon, I don't think it will getting worse either.

8. Mickey

I'm unemployed (disabled) and I get a month,what I used to make in a week!
    It's been a rough 7 years! Thank God my mom lives with me or I'd be in trouble!

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I'm unemployed right now but after my CNA classes, I'll be reemployed. :slight_smile:

Debt? I have about 1400$ in credit card debt that stresses me out to high hell.
    I have 6k from 8 semesters.

I'm stressing out too. Especially when it comes to my CNA classes. It's make or break. My mom's job is steady though. She works for social security in the upper echelons. :slight_smile:
    But she's not paying my bills. :dry:

10. Greggers

Im kind of a wreak at the moment job wise so i dont have one :frowning2:

Im going to school full time with my parents help

11. musicgirl112233

My mom is unemployed. I work two days a week. I sucks being poor.

12. Nodnarb

My mom's hours were recently cut back, so we're barely getting by. Pretty much everything depends on her hours going back to normal in a couple months. If not, I'm really stressed out about what's going to happen. And unfortunately, I think it's much more likely that they'll get cut back even further...

I just got a job working part-time for minimum wage to save up some more money so I don't have as much debt from college. I'm still going to end up with $20 or $30 thousand in student loans. Tuition at my university has gone up over 71% in just the last decade.

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I finished a university degree 6 months ago. Several resumes sent out, no interviews, and only a couple PFO emails.

I really want to:
    a) Get a job so I can
    b) Move out and get on with life.

And it annoys me because several of my classmates got jobs.

14. EM68

I did not make a enough money in insurance because of the economy.Because of that I racked up some bills. I wound up leaving that position and going back to the car dealership I used to work at. Its a lot of hours but at least its better cash flow.

15. Apocalypte

I finished 5 weeks ago, sent out about 50 resumes so far... 3 interviews (one of which I travelled 150 miles for), 2 PFO emails (one of which was for a job I wasn't expecting to get even a sniff of anyway) and one telephone interview. The rest was just deafening silence.

Unemployment is the most soul-destroying thing, especially as a graduate. We were all brought up to think "Work hard at college, and you'll get a good job out of it", that education was the way to move up in the world - right now that feels like a sick joke. I'm almost 25 years old, I studied something marketable, and I'm sitting at home on welfare, still living with my parents, while I search for a job. I know it's just the way the economy is at the moment, but seriously - :bang::bang::bang:

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the world of a financial crisis.
    No one in my family have lost their job thankfully (our unemployment rate is still under 6% thankfully), but since my Dad died a few months ago things have gotten much tighter as we've lost a large chunk of our income. :frowning2: Still, we're going to be able to chug along for a few years and get out of this mess (we have a large home loan, major court battle coming up amonst school fees and stuff).

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you found a way to make money from the precious few buying cars.

Indeed, that's exactly how I feel like. I feel as though I would have been much better off to take a practical 2 year community collage diploma, and have been working for the past 2 years, making the same money as if I were working now, with a greater likelihood of having a job to hang on to.

And it's really frustrating to not even get a PFO. Makes it really hard to dress up, put a smile on, and pass out resumes when it feels as though they're being placed immediately in the circular file.

I still try to keep a routine by going to the gym, and I try to keep my mind sharp by reading and stuff, and I've gone to a couple conferences in the industry to keep my resume fresh, but dammit all I want to work, not to be a charity case.

Plus it's majorly cramping my style as far as my romance life goes, because I'm sooo stressed. More stressed than when I was at school :/

*You can tell who hasn't had problems with a job search if they are unaware of what the terms "PFO" and "Circular file" mean.

18. RCooper

We're in a better situation most, luckily. My dad works in financing real estate in Latin America, and it seems to be going well. And my mom is going to win about 20,000 from a court case with the Zyrtec company, because it destroyed her sense of smell. And George, I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm glad you seem to be feeling better, though.

19. Kat22

I'm not unemployed, but I am UNDERemployed. The company I used to work for full time as a supervisor closed, and I was unemployed for about 4 months. I still had bills, rent, classes and books to pay for during that time, so when I did finally get another job (only part time, and for about $4 less an hour than what I was making) it's still hard. Paying off my now outrageous credit card debt on top of everything else, I still barely break even every month. Damn economy. . .I need to win the lotto. . .

20. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Wow. What degrees did you guys graduate with? Maybe you should go back and get another? My degree is in nursing, so I'll never worry about that...but I can't imagine finishing college and not having my dream job. :frowning2: