1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight on EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silentsound, Jun 20, 2009.

1. silentsound

The fact that we have a handful of straight people in our awesomesauce EC community is something that always makes me really happy to see. I always sort of wonder how you all got here though. So, for all of you straights out there, how did you find EC and what made you join?

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, I really am just curious :icon_wink

2. Just Adam

i too find it great to see on here :slight_smile:

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine the majority of them have somebody close who fits into the LGBT definition, so they joined to get some advice on how to approach the subject.

Or at least that's the impression I got from stalking the support forums!

4. Rygirl

Well I thought I was straight for a long time when I joined EC, it was just after my friend came out to me. She showed me the website and encouraged me to join and helped me make an account. And it was really helpful, I knew absolutely jack sh*t about homosexuality when I joined, in fact she nearly beat me sometimes with the rubbish I was coming out with.
    Yeah, thats how I found EC and why I joined.

5. Just Adam

i knew you were a stalker! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Eleanor Rigby

First of all, I always have been concerned with the rejection gay people have to face and to the fact they don't have the exact same rights that I have. I clearly remember asking my dad when I was around 12 years old what it was to be gay and that I have been extremly shocked when he answered it was a mental disorder. I don't remember what I did or said, but what I clearly remember is that I never believed that it could be wrong to love, even if you love a bit differently than most people do.
    When I grew up, some of my friends came out to me, some have been outed to me, and there is this one very good friend who I know for ages and who I am sure is gay. And I had absolutly no clue of what to do to let him know I will be 100% supportive without freaking him out. So I figured the best option would be to ask some gay people about what they think, assuming that they probably could relate with my friend's feelings better than I do. That's how I found EC, while googling "coming out ressources" or something like that.
    Now, I stayed here because EC is a wonderful place to be around and because I discovered that a lot of the issues EC members could have echo loudly with issues I had or still have. I always get a wonderfull support from EC members and I am happy if I had been able to help some of them from time to time.

#6 Eleanor Rigby, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I have to stalk to mod? What's everybody elses excuse? :wink:

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think I saw a link to EC on myspace. I thought "this looks interesting". I came here and started reading the posts and thought I could maybe give some good advice since I'm with PFLAG. The rest is history. :slight_smile:

9. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I joined last September on request of a dear friend, Helen (Hln D) as she thought I'd love it here. I dismissed it for a few weeks, thinking that I'd be rejected since this was a GBLT site so really only meant for such persons, but much coaxing, pleading and pursuing by her and Tom, my next-door neighbour (Tom_from_eds), finally got me to join.

I have never looked back; I've made so many good friends and had such a wonderful time. I hope that what advice I've given has been useful and that my time here in the future will hold many more friends and happy memories.

I've always been extremely open-minded and always great everyone with love and respect, so there's always been a part of my heart that reaches out to the lovely people that make up the GBLT family and the whole of the rainbow. I always feel so sad when I see or hear discrimination of any race, culture, gender or sexuality. Why some people can never get past those shallow and hateful barriers will probably never be crystal-clear to me, but I sincerely wish everyday to hear some news, no matter how great or small of equality taking form in some way or another.

Here's to EC, the best forum for everyone to be part off! :grin: :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

(&&&)

10. Greggers

I love all the baby makers on this site <3

Eleanor and Becky have given me some of the best advice out of anyone on this site, gay or straight, and Rosina is just a bundle of joy to be around :slight_smile:

11. Lychee

I joined coz I was unsure of my orientation.
    I stayed because it's a great place :grin: