1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotype Presentation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AtomicCafe, Jun 24, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

Hey all! I used to be a member here about 2-3 years ago, but lots happened, I had to leave, blah blah blah. Can't even remember my username from way back then, but I wasn't hugely active on here or anything. Either way, I'm coming back!

Anyway, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm in a college summer course that's discussing diversity, and we have an opportunity to give an hour-long presentation on the topic of "Stereotype Threat." Most people are going for topics relating to African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, women, and the usual suspects. However, I've noticed next to no mention of LGBTQ people during this program, except tossed in at the end of a few lectures to be "inclusive." I'd like to change that. However, I'm having a really hard time thinking of a real working idea. Would you guys help me brainstorm?

Some topics being done, for reference of what most people expect: racism in Disney movies, the harm of using Native American mascots in sports, and microaggressions. They all use data, analyze it from a new perspective, and apply it to the people being talked about. I've seen tons of statistics on LGBTQ suicide rates, hate crimes, and other misfortunes, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to pull them together other than "gay stereotypes are bad." Help?

2. pirateninja

Well, the first thing about stereotypes is separating "stereotypes that aren't so bad" from "stereotypes that are bad".

For example, let's take a non-harmful stereotype of gay men; that ALL gay men have limp wrists. On the one hand, it is harmful to assume that ALL gay men have this attribute, but on the other, even if gay men have this attribute, it is not harmful to society.

In this little way, it may be wise to say that although it is preposterous to assume that all gay men "act gay", just because somebody acts like a stereotype doesn't automatically make them harmful, because this could just be a factor of who they are.

However, other much more stereotypes, like thinking that all gay men have AIDS or act like sluts, are harmful, and not necessarily true of all gays, and also apply to many heterosexuals. Some of the "harmless" stereotypes can also be attributed to heterosexuals too.

Bah, I'm not sure whether I'm making any sense here. I blame lack of sleep. :lol: But also, make it clear that yes, there are stereotypes in society. I mean, there has to be gay men who love theatre and like to dress in tight clothes, but just because they are stereotypes doesn't make them bad.

Sorry if this was a little rant here; but I'm a little concerned that you are saying that gay stereotypes are bad and that's all. I do consider myself a stereotype. I mean, the only way I could be more lesbian is by introducing myself with "Hai, my screenname is ilyk2likwimin and I like powertools".

Namely, what you should make clear is that stereotyping people is wrong. But if a person acts like a stereotype, that may just be how they are, and if it isn't harmful to society, then how is it bad?

3. dude99

dude99 Guest

well yes not all sterotypes about gays are bad. Such sterotypes are all lesbians are butch, all gays are not masculine, in addition other sterotypes are: all young girl tomboys turn out to be lesbian and all young boys with feminine characteristics turn out to be gay.

4. Selqet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    While there are always those that match up partially or totally to stereotypes (after all, they got started somehow), they're still not terribly good for society. Overall, they provide an easy shortcut to know who you're dealing with when meeting strangers who are in some sort of "group" (be it an ethnic group such as "african american" or community such as "gay"). Which can sometimes help, but it can just as equally hinder, since NOT all people are the stereotype of any particular group. Especially if you're trying to be diplomatic.

Relying on stereotypes also runs the risk of making the "general public" (i.e. someone not affiliated with and who has never come in contact with anyone of the specific group in question) think that that stereotype is ALL that that group is.

Diversity is the spice of life, and--to use a heavy handed analogy--I certainly don't blame the african american community from getting more than slightly offended at that Republican Newsletter that had images of fried chicken and grape soda in relation to Obama (I don't remember all the details on that one--I think it was last summer though). Essentially, too much reliance on stereotypes is more likely to breed bigotry, because the people who rely on them are less likely to go out and MEET people and see how they REALLY are, and are more capable of lumping all gay people in one faceless group, devoid of real characterization and personality...and when people cease being people with their own individual characteristics and become 2 dimensional stereotypes, its easier to enact violence against them or even simply just start to hate them.

Sorry, this got kind of long. I took several anthropology classes in college which dealt with some of this stuff. Also was more than a little into the goth scene in high school (still am, but now i've got work and stuff...so less so) which was at the height of the Columbine thing and was living in the bible belt, and it really got on my nerves that my trench coat wearing friends were suddenly thought to be satan worshiping serial killers just waiting for an opportunity.

Anyway, I'd go get some of my books and post something more useful, but that will have to wait till tomorrow, as its my bedtime. So I'll check back tomorrow and see if there's anything else I can do, though by that time I imagine someone more helpful will have come along.

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    gay men
    * listen to pop music (especially Madonna)
    * walk/dress around flamboyantly
    * lisping
    * gay words
    * promiscuous
    * drink, alcohol, depress
    * abomination of God
    * girly
    * wear those short jeans cut off around the butt
    * really bright blonde *obviously dyed* hair is also consider gay
    * an overactive butt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPSD0xXHleQ

Lesbians
    * butch
    * act like Rosie Odonnel
    * no make up, wear masculine clothing
    * loud
    * butch pair up with lipstick lesbian
    * drinking, depress, all that
    * slutty for attention if they are bisexual too

6. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

Thanks for the info, everyone!

As for the stereotype conversation... when I talk about stereotypes, I don't mean gay men who are into theater and have limp wrists, or lesbians who have short hair and love powertools. I actually mean stereotypes that people think of. It's one thing for people to fit a stereotype, but it's another for people outside that group to automatically assume that everyone fits the stereotype. Therefore, I think all stereotypes are negative. They create an image that is occasionally false, but sometimes true. I also don't believe there's such a thing as a "positive" stereotype; saying all Asians are smart, for example, is an awful thing to say since some aren't. Make sense?

I think right now, I'm leaning toward relating this to a college environment, since I've heard plenty over the past few days on campus about how, "We don't need Pride Alliances/GLBT presentations, since there aren't any around." Still trying to form a full idea...

7. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

Finally found my topic(s) today! Now I'm torn between two options:
    - Analyzing the train of the title is. I mean, it's up to LGBTQQIAA, so I wanted to look at how a) some of these groups have little in common and don't quite fit a classification together, and b) how the entire group still accepts all those letters and sticks together.
    - Looking at gays and lesbians within minority cultures.

Going to see which fleshes out better for me. :slight_smile:

8. Greggers

Ugh, i just have a problem with all sterotypes being bad :frowning2:

It really freaking hurts when someone says something like...

or
    ...and then its true about you.

What do you do if you really like Madonna or feel better without makeup? People are going to say your just "pandering to the gay stereotype" and the only way to NOT "pander to the gay stereotype" is to not be yourself anymore. I dont really get what people want us to do? If we fit a stereotype its almost like getting a "please play again" on a scratch and win. "Im sorry, but you were born like this. Better luck next time around?". It really makes me sad :frowning2: Its basically the same thing as homophobia, isnt it? Someone who does not actually know you automatically judges you in a negative way because of a trait you were born with. Like Holly said, are any of these things directly affecting society in a bad way? I guess you could argue it made Madonna more popular and if you dont like her then you have to be subjected to her music for another 50 years....(see how silly that sounds? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

And for the record, this rant is not aimed at ANYONE in this thread. Its just my general feelings on stereotypes. I agree 150% with Holly here.

9. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^ I love Madonna before I love music.

It's like Madonna came first (happened at 3rd grade, computer lab, windows media player; American life music video), and then I found music. That's kind of strange really, but that's probably the only gay stereotype I have. I don't worship her like some fans though, since I see her as an equal to everyone else, I just admire her.

I hate stereotypes, but it's what makes concepts to equalize and to normalize the unknown.

#9 Jack2009, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  10. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome project. Someone left off speedos under the gay man stereotype behavior.

It may be interesting to educate folks on the Kinsey Scale. How Gay Are You? Pointing out the degrees of non-straightness could be elucidating to some! Maybe consider posting here, if permitted, your presentation, or a link to it

11. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

Kinsey! My hero! I considered for a while using that as the base of my presentation, but now I'm trying to think of a way to include all my ideas... just like them too much to leave anything out! At least I get about 50 minutes to do everything.

I believe my presentation will end up being a powerpoint. If I can figure out a way to post it online, I'll be glad to share it!

12. Selqet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    OO! The kinsey scale would be a neat thing to use in it!

It is an amazingly awesome project, and I, too, would love to see the final result (if you're willing to share, get around to it, have time, etc.)

Anyways, good luck! :slight_smile:

13. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With the mod permission, you may be able to have your PPT on PREEZO and link to it from here.

Would any of this help:

I'm Catholic.
    I disagree vehemently when humans tell us what God's judgment is. Remember the saying fools rush in where angels fear to tread? Jesus refused to condemn the promiscuous prostitute, and instead used the occasion to state the HE would not judge her, but would love her instead. The suggestion that God condemns gays, often attributed to my church, the bible, and other religious sources, is complete TRASH.

sorry, off track there, but a bit of foundation was necessary.

At our core, we are spiritual beings.

On earth, our spirits are assigned a sexual body to inhabit.

Ultimately, we are called to love one another regardless of our earthly assigned sex, yes?

So ultimately, tell me how it can be wrong to be open to expressing the love we are called to share.

SO, not real articulate or thoroughly thot out. But maybe you get the jist.

14. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

That's actually pretty helpful, Seadog! I like the idea of looking at religion, as well as ethnicity, for this. (I know there'll be quite a bit of overlap between the two...) I've heard all the rather clinical arguments on both sides: Catholics follow the Bible in that gays should be condemned versus your point. I'm curious in hearing about some personal experiences, though. Mind if I ask how you feel your church/Catholic friends/family seems to treat homosexuality?

15. Kaim

Kaim Guest

I think I could help with those questions too, since my family is also catholic.

A few months ago I had a conversation with my mom about the topic of LGBTs, and she told me that she doesn't think it's natural. She considers it to be a "trend" if you will, and stated that to be psychologically and physically happy, a man or woman will never be able to attain that happiness with someone of the same gender. As far as ethnicity goes, I'm Polish, and some Polish media (like the Polish satellite channels I get) seem to portray LGBTs as a nexus of comedy at their expense. I hope that's helpful.

16. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

Thanks, Kaim!

Man, I really wish I could make this presentation so much longer.... I don't think I'll be able to include most European views of LGBTs since the presentation is pretty short and it's geared towards mostly African Americans and Hispanics. I'll see how timing works as well. (I'm a bit biased -- I'm half Polish. :slight_smile:) Does help for the media view; that's something I had totally forgotten about so far. Will keep that view in mind!