1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seven year war

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dazed, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Dazed

Dazed Guest

ok so im doing an essay on the seven year war and since i think some of you were alive then..maybe you can help(im kidding)

ive read my chapter over like 39384938 4 times and i cant seem to figure out how the diverse backgrounds and views led to the Seven Years’ War. like what were the backgrounds and views?

no im not trying to cheat. if i wanted to do that id use yahoo answers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Seven Year War has its origins in the power struggles among the European Great Powers that went on for years prior to the outbreak of the Seven Year War. One could argue that the causes also rest in North America, where settlers from Great Britain and France fought against each other during the early 1750s. Both France and Great Britain supported the settlers by sending reinforcements. As both France and Great Britain began to be on a war footing again, other powers at the time, such as Prussia, Russia and Austria knew that they would be drawn into the conflict as they would be called upon to enter an alliance.

Another reason and a contributing factor to the outbreak of war was the opportunity that some powers, such as Austria, was to recapture territory that they lost during previous conflicts. Austria wanted to regain Silesia, which it lost to Prussia, while Russia had it's own interests in entering the war as it wanted to keep other powers in check. Thus, alliances were created between the two principal great powers. On the one hand France, Austria and Russia joined to create one military alliance and opposed the Anglo-German/Prussian alliance.

Essentially what it comes down to is
    - Military alliances
    - Great power rivalry
    - Ambitions to keep other powers in check
    - Prospects for territorial gains

I hope this helps!

#2 Mirko, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009