1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the post count be removed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steam Giant, Jul 16, 2007.

?

Do you think the post count should be removed?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steam Giant

Quite honestly, I think this has become an issue now, and should not be left alone. Certain threads, and certain posts, exist for the sole purpose of making a post. I have noticed tension between members relating to post counts, and I'm not referring to the "top ten" thread at all. I think this is becoming a problem, and if posts really don't matter, here's your chance to back up your opinion. If they don't matter, and they are causing disarray, then I believe serious consideration should be put into removing them entirely. They are creating a divide that should never have existed.

Feel free to vote anonymously, but if you have any comments to add, feel free.

I'd also like to add that this isn't an official vote for official action. This poll will not facilitate a change, I simply think it's important that we see how many people feel that posts truly do not matter, and that each member of this forum is equal, regardless of their number of posts.

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

I think if you vote no, that you beleive that post counts do matter. cause even if its not causing a problem with you, its causing a problem with others. (and don't anyone dare say anything about me cause i could care less).

3. 24601

I voted yes because it affects you guys. To be honest, I don't care all that much. But since others do, it's fine with me.

I like having a custom title, though, which is a good reason to get a high post count. Maybe if that became default, or just turned on after a month of activity or like 200 posts or something... I dunno.

4. I vote yes. I could care less about the number of posts i have. I do like the custom title too though

5. DJ Sweetz

I voted yes and that's all I'm gonna say.

6. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

I voted no because it's too stupid to be an issue.

EC is a forum, not a competition/contest. It's not like the 1000 club gets a free burger :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Steam Giant

If it's not a competition, they why display a post count? I think if ever there exists something called "the 1000 club" on a forum, there's a recipe for a problem.

8. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

well yea but i dont see why some people worry bout other people's post count. i dont see how the post counts would hurt other members. why dont we just leave the post counts alone?

if they get jealous whatsoever of people with high post counts, it's their problem. it's not the post counts' fault :grin:

9. Steam Giant

Because, regardless of the fact that you don't see why it bothers other people, it is bothering other people. That's why I feel something must be done. I hate forum "elitism," and I'll be damned if my favorite place in the whole world becomes infected by it!

10. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

Well can you please explain why/how it bothers other people? :grin:

11. xxAngelOnFirexx

it bothers me because you think your so cool because you have like 400 posts. i have like 600 and i've been a member for months posting helpful things and support. you come in and think that your so cool cause you have almost as many posts as sum of the senior members... sickens me...

12. Steam Giant

Someone doesn't have to proudly announce that they're the post king to be "elitist." The idea is that a member may add to their post count rapidly with the express intent of having a large number of posts. Regardless of whether or not there is an actual confrontation, an elitist will use their inflated post count in an attempt to command respect. This activity is notoriously difficult to prove, so it's best to simply remove the tool, I.E., the post count. If it doesn't matter, then why is it there?

13. Precisely. It really doesnt matter thats why i voted to remove it. It shouldnt be a measure of anyone's worth. To quote Voltaire, "Crush the damned thing!"

14. justjoshoh

At the risk of offering myself to my own advice...

I'll stress again, as I did in the Top 10 thread, quality not quantity. That being said, if a person is posting just to be a post whore, or whatever those increasing their count for the sake of the count are being called nowadays, to boost their credibility on an internet site the old adage holds true, "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". Credibility comes from the quality of posts not the quantity.

That being said, I don't see the issue to be such a big deal. If there is some irate folks on the board because of the issue though, I understand why they might like change. I'm going to take the diplomatic route and suggest the issue(s) be investigated.

15. Evilmonkey

i think we should get rid of it.
    if there is a belief of the more posts, the more superior - then some people will just post useless crap in order to get as much posts as they can. that is not what this place is about. eliminate the post count, eliminate the problem.

16. Jerr

Ok it is possible to make it where different places don't increase post count... yet the fun and games thing shouldn't be counted all together... because look at the compliment the person above thingy... it helps others feel better about themselves and that isn't a bad thing. The riddles... challenge the mind and make one wittier which is nice and useful... now as for the count... yeah.... nuff said...

But I don't CARE if those things are there... I like knowing how many posts I have... not that the number matters... it doesn't... Me and BandGeek had post counts that were related (I think our numbers were reversed...) it was amusing... small amusements get people through the day... why take this away.

Asking for a gift is a bit much... honestly...

Let your self kudos be your only gift... it isn't like these things REALLY matter... because they DON'T.

It is all about quality... that is why those with quality and I mean REAL quality aren't posting on it as much... why argue over this?...

There are a lot of things to read and post on on ec... why choose something that is bothers you like this? I mean now when I said the smoking thing well of course that was open to all for all opinions but something about post numbers... if you didn't like the idea of someone thinking it made them better WHY READ A THREAD ON IT?

Oh well...

I vote that the post count is kept... I think everyone should realize that just because they have a high number doesn't necessarily make them useful other then someone to talk to.

17. Jerr

Just because they think it makes them feel like they are more superior... does that make it true? I believed for the longest time that Neapolitan Ice Cream was pronounced Napoleon... Just because I believed it didn't make it true. Now I'll still pronounce it like that just like some people will still believe the numbers make them better... let them. It makes them happy. Do what makes you happy... unless it is just make others unhappy then you should probably find a different joy out of life... just sayn. lol

18. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i really dont care either if its removed:dry:

--------

Thread closed by moderators while the post-count fiasco and resulting drama is discussed in the mods area

#18 jayden, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.