1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to treat newbies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just a reminder for all of us (including myself) - we all have to remember that we should always treat other members politely, especially (but not limited to) new members.

All of us have been newbies at first. Even Paul was a newbie once (yes, back in 2004, when the site had 4 users, he was a newbie). As you all probably can and should remember, when we joined, we were getting into a new place where we didn't know anyone. A lot of us came here looking for help and advice. Others came here willing to have some fun. Others weren't even sure about what they would find here. Most likely, the older EC members were nice and willing to help you.

Newbies are often unsure about joining a site, and they tend to leave if they feel unwelcome. Therefore, it is our task to make them feel welcome so they stay. In order to make them feel welcome and comfortable here on EC, we have to be nice to them. Plus, we have to be polite to everyone, right?

Please consider this. We don't want to make EC a bitter place, right? We want EC to welcome new members, to make them feel accepted and happy here... or so I think.

Thanks for your attention.

2. 24601

I will be nice to everyone except you, Fred. I hate you with a passion. An unquenchable hatred... oh what, that's Ayn Rand who I hate like that, not you.

:love:

:slight_smile:

I talk to newbies. Almost as often as I eat them. Yeah, it's 4 AM and I shouldn't be posting. But your post is good, and reminds me that I want to post a netiquette thing. Eventually...

3. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i will try to be good and nice to every one and especialy newbie ones:slight_smile:

4. CrimsonThunder

One thing about forums is if someone sees a post where people are arguing they probably wont join AND WE DONT WANT THAT!

I felt really sorry for Grillz and I hope he feels ok even after he was abused. I'm sure Angel was just in a bad mood.

I'm still a newbie myself as well, so I'm still trying to get used to the forum. =)

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good advice! Thanks for reminding everybody!

6. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

Yea, a newbie should be treated just like everyone else. Duhrrr, this is a forum. It's not like an online game where the strong ones step on the newbies.

#6 Blue0090, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  7. Kimi

Hopefully.

That word is a response for something that I don't want and shouldn't quote. So if you don't get it, forget it:icon_wink

OK, to be honest, I'm pretty pissed off that because we have to announce this REALLY basic stuff as a human being.

Also, I've been treating newbies as nice as I possibly can. Like writing something other than "hi" and "welcome" like "I like that you are..." or "It's great that you are..." because I didn't feel welcome from just two words when I joined here and I didn't want newbies to feel same way that I did, so I tried my best...at least I believe I did.

And all I get is this announcement??
    One word,

WOW.

8. davo-man

Im not sure what you're talking about with the "hopefully" bit, but i do see that you have a point...I know i can only speak for myself, but sorry that i did not give you a warmer welcome wen you joined...at that point i was still quite shy around here, but i hope now that i am more meaningful in my posts to newbies, as well as meaningful in general

9. GuitarGirl1350

I'm always kind to the newbies.
    Is anyone nasty to the newbies for being newbies?

I remember how welcoming this place was when I was a newbie. My first post in the advice forum got me a million welcome messages! It seems to be that way for most of us.

I think this drama over post counts and newbies and such is so very, very idiotic.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Indeed. Until now it hasn't even needed saying.

I should add however that anyone who makes newbies feel unwelcomed is likely to find themselves being made to feel unwelcomed by the moderators.

Agreed. It is also wasting a lot of moderator time as we try to decide how to sort it all out and get back to normal.

11. SadConfusedBandGeek

Am i the only one that hasn't seen drama with newbies?!? lol

geez i must be a bit blind..

12. davo-man

Yeah same...Im feeling a bit out of the loop...oh well...maybe the mods have deleted the offending posts

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well the worst of it has been deleted and some is still in a couple of closed threads in Chit Chat (which are likely to be deleted in the next day or so). It does seem to be blowing over now, which is good.

14. Sam

Sam

I have always tried to make people feel welcome I would want the same consideration. some people find this place during the darkest point in their life and need a supportive place to share their feelings. I myself have posted during bad times and found the support I've needed. WE ALL NEED TO HELP EACH OTHER, NOT HURT EACH OTHER WITH CRUEL WORDS. I want this site to remain the site I joined 11 months ago. please don't let drama and a few people's cruel words destroy this site. I'm talking about everybody including myself if I have ever hurt anybody I am deeply sorry. I know everybody has moments where the stress of life can be overwhelming and they take it out on other people (I am queen of that) I let things get to me then take it out on everybody around me I love this site and I want to continue loving this site. hopefully things will get better.

#14 Sam, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  15. EthanS

EthanS Guest

O im nice to everyone:icon_bigg

16. SpikySpice

One custom of EC is to make the newbies fel home by givimng them warm welcomes

And besides, thsi is mainly a helping forum for coming out, :slight_smile:

#16 SpikySpice, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007