1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Preacher's Son by Marc Adams

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jun 30, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    NoOne....I kept thinking of you while I was reading this book. (*hug*)

Marc is one of my friends on facebook. He asked to come speak at my PFLAG chapter but we couldn't work out a time that worked for us. I knew we had his book in our library so I brought it home and read it. This guy had one of the worst coming outs of anybody I've ever known. He went to a Christian High school and then chose to go to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. His parents actually considered Jerry Falwell a liberal.:rolleyes:

Marc writes about his struggles with hiding his homosexuality in college and how he eventually came out to his family and the absolutely horrible experiences he had with that. Marc founded the organization Heartstrong. http://www.heartstrong.org/

It is an interesting read. Marc is about to get his second book published. I don't know if he's managed to mend any of the relationships that he lost when coming out. I'm eager to know. Marc is 41 years old now.

2. No One

I wish i could read it but there is no way. I would be nice to see how some one in my position handled it. *sigh*

3. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will have to pick up the book and read it...

4. Amy

Amy

I'll deffinatly read it.
    Yay Amazon. :slight_smile:

5. xequar

Why couldn't you just leave it in your locker at school or soemthing and read it during lunch?

6. No One

That involves money lol and a book store. and my parents would find out somehow they always do.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Maybe you could e-mail Marc for some advice NoOne! Go to his website and see if there is an e-mail for him.

8. silentsound

there is. He says he replies to every email because he is so concerned about making sure every person can find support. He sounds like an awesome guy, I really want to read his book but I, too, would have all kind of trouble obtaining it.

9. Markio

I recently found an LGBT section at the bookstore near my neighborhood. I intend to return by myself and examine the available books more closely.

I bought the Laramie Project from a bookstore without my parents knowing. I drove to the store by myself so I could by some birthday cards for a party that evening. I also bought the book, with cash, and when I got home I stashed it under my nightstand. If people enter your room, you could also hide it wrapped in a bag (or a pair of underwear to repel interference), then put the bag in a backpack or a dresser drawer.

If you have a really trustworthy friend, you could order a book online and have it sent to their house, after getting their permission, of course. If you don't have your own bank account or card, you could save any gift cards you have from a bookstore until you have enough money. That's how I bought a book for my Intro to Gay Studies class.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I talked with Marc today and he said he'd be happy to talk to you noone! So add him on facebook or e-mail him.

11. No One

Oh thats great i will do that.