1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting My First Tattoo!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

Im Sooooo Excited My Friends Taking Me To Get My First Tattoo On Saturday!!!! Im Getting Love Across Both My Wrists. What Do You Guys Think?(!)

2. Ontarioboy187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds cool. I wish i could getta tattoo but my mother would kill me lol

3. Tiny Catastrophe

well i already keep my arms covered with hoodies and wristbands so they wouldnt get suspicious and my friend is taking me and paying so its all good lo

4. Ontarioboy187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol u have a pretty cool friend! i wihs i had a friend like that. well i do but my mom would know something is wrong and would then kill me lol

5. Tiny Catastrophe

my best friend alex was like im gunna start making the funeral arrangements now

6. Hoppip

Wait, so they don't know? That could definitely be a bad idea. And for job purposes, they really frown on having tattoos in visible places on the body.

I mean, I don't mean to sound like a huge pessimistic jerk.

Why not try talking to your parents about it? Or waiting until you're old enough to be out of the house?

7. Ontarioboy187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your friend makes funeral arrangements for me too i will join you lol

8. Tiny Catastrophe

my parents already say no and im going to be a councilor so i want them for that reason.i want my patients to ask me what that means and thenwhen i tell them they may open up to me

9. Ontarioboy187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good reason.

10. MusicIsLife

Not to sound like a downer, but I would highly suggest you not get one and wait until you're 18.

1. most of the tattoos I wanted when I was 16 i turned out not wanting when i was 18
    2. a lot of reputable tattoo places nowadays check your age, so unless you've got a fake ID I can't see a decent place doing that for you without parental permission.
    3. you really shouldn't get a tattoo in such a visible place for your first one. I know this sounds stupid but let me explain this. I've got 3 tattoos. one on my hip/rib area, one on my shoulder/upper arm, and one just above my elbow. it gets tiring at times to explain your tattoos when someone catches a glimpse of them.
    4. And keep this in mind: as a councellor, depending on if you intend to have adult patients or teen patients, some may not want you as a councellor just because you have visible tattoos, not to mention it will be difficult for you to get a part time job when you're in high school/university because a lot of places won't let you show off tattoos. I'm strictly forbidden from exposing my tattoos while at work, so i have to wear 3/4 sleeves all the time.

thats my two cents, sorry if i come off as a bit of a knowitall, but I do have some experience in this field.

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Make sure it's something that you can deal with for the rest of your life >.< .

12. GoBabyGoGo

yuck.

sry, dont mean to put you off, but thats just my opinion.

13. Tim

Tim

Main issue I see is the same as MusicIsLife.

You're 16. Any SAFE Tattoo place will REQUIRE parental consent. If they don't, then I would not suggest getting a tattoo there.

14. Absentminded

Agreed. I don't have any yet, but unless you plan on becoming something like a tattoo artist, having your tattoos in places where they're highly visible isn't the best idea. Even if you'll be covering them up, most places that you go for interviews, they'll look at that. They look at a lot of things. I got turned down for a job once because I had blond/purple streaks in my hair. And, I get quite a few looks where I work now because my hair is 4 different colours. That's changeable, tattoos aren't (sorry to state the obvious, but, it's just making the point). Plenty of places require some sort of uniform, and wrist bands aren't usually part of that (unless you work someplace cool like Newbury Comics...). When it comes down to that, the wrists are pretty hard to cover up.

On the age topic, one of my best friends is a tattoo artist, and even if you're sixteen, you have to have parental permission, and it has to be legit. If your parents found out that your friend took you, it would reflect really badly not only on the tattoo artist, and it could get your friend in some MAJOR trouble.

Sorry to also be a downer, along with MusicIsLife, but, personally, I just don't want you to make a mistake you'll have to have removed with lasers.

15. Lychee

I agree. I think you should wait til you're 18. Anywhere that lets you get a tattoo at your age is already breaking the law once, and therefore they are more likely to have less hygienic practices than a reputable place that checks your ID and asks for parental consent. Hepatitis and HIV can both be spread while getting a tattoo. Also, you might change your mind within a year or two. I know that it doesn't seem like you will, but think about it - if you had to design a tattoo when you were 10, chances are you'd be completely over it by now.

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't care for tattoos and the one you describe doesn't offend me, however...

This is good advice. One of my cousins was determined to get a tattoo and her sister had to pay for it, just to ensure she would be getting it from a safe, certified place.

And seriously it can impact job prospects. The first and last thing that happens during most interviews is a handshake. The tattoo may be the first and last thing the interviewer remembers about the interview. And if you work in a place that wants it covered up, that would severely restrict what you can wear.

If you think it will help you be a counselor, wait until you are one, then try writing "Love" across your wrists with a Sharpie, and see if it actually works. Personally I'm not going to open up to someone just because of a tattoo. At least wait a couple years to make sure you still want it.

Also, for the general interest of anyone reading, never get anyone's name tattooed on you. Love isn't necessarily forever, but tattoos are. I have a friend whose sister works at a beauty salon, and they do tattoos. A lot of people come in looking for names "I love xxxxx", and the staff beg and plead with them to reconsider. They also take photos and have a book of "before / after", having someone's name crossed out. They get a lot of people coming back looking to have their true love's name crossed out.

About the only tattoo I ever actually liked was someone had "Made in Canada" and a little Canadian flag tattooed on their back.

17. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

personally i love tattoos and wish i could get one. except i change my mind so often im glad im underaged...but if you don't mind me asking: what does it mean?

18. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

My mates where going to pay for me to get one on my 18th birthday but my mum would kill me and then them for paying for it. And I'm not going to be responsible for mass murder.