1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A funny story about gay marriage...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheBP, Jul 4, 2009.

1. TheBP

I don't know if this goes here, but it didn't seem like a LGBT issue, so here it is in Chit Chat. :grin:

I'm currently taking Government at summer school to get it out of the way for next year. A few days ago, we did a political spectrum activity, and that was followed by a small debate on the issues we used for the activity. We got to gay marriage, and discussed it for a bit. Then this girl next to me raised her hand.

Now, before I continue, this girl is 100% conservative, Southern, blonde ditz. She generally makes you want to punch her in the face every time she speaks.

She said that marriage's sole purpose was to make babies, and since "two women just CAN'T make babies, y'know?", gay marriage shouldn't be allowed.

The teacher looked at her for a moment. "So...going by that logic, infertile people shouldn't be allowed to marry, since they can't reproduce?"

The girl proceeded to contradict herself and speak further, but the teacher kept telling her that her logic is flawed, lol.

At the end, we got onto the topic of the teacher's political identification, which she obviously can't tell us, so we were just guessing. This same girl starts talking again.

"I think you're a Republican, because you're very well-spoken and educated!"

Immediately following, I started on her.

Me: "What are you trying to say? What does education even have to DO with this?"

Girl: "Well, I mean, she seems very smart and educated and stuff!"

Me: "So, are you saying that all the college grads and Ivy leaguers are all Republican, and all the high school dropouts are Democrats?"

Girl: "Well, actually, a lot of the Ivy leaguers are Democrats :slight_smile:eusa_doh:slight_smile:...What I mean is, she knows both sides of the issue, and can present both!"

Me: "If I was a Democrat, and I learned the Republican views, I'd STILL be a Democrat."

I hate living in the South. It's full of stupid people. :frowning2:

Thoughts?

2. Wrath

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You will encounter stupid people wherever you go. The flawed views she has expressed are present all over the world and there are millions of morons who believe them to be concrete arguments. You just have to educate her and hope she sees sense.

3. Just Adam

first of all ichigo wins XD

secondly i would of said shut up and pulled her chair leg up XD

the teacher sounded very open minded from what you say ....and this girl you should of just said ok repeat after me " do you want frys with that.... good youd better get used to it"

i feel sorry for you move north asap XD

4. Lucky Panda

don't ruin it! xD;;

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived in the south, and currently live in the north. Stupid people are everywhere let me tell you, You can't escape it. Her comment about how Republicans are "well educated and stuff" had me fall out of my chair laughing. She sounds like a real card. It seems you held you own in your conversation, not that it would have been hard to against someone that silly.

6. Markio

Even as bad as stupid people are smart people who are mean. :frowning2: Sometimes stupid people are willing to learn, though, so that's good. :slight_smile:

7. Chaos

All I can say about that is... At least she stood by what she believes in and spoke up. Not that it did her any favours... :lol:

But all you can hope for is that maybe she will learn something from her experience! :slight_smile:

8. hiker360

phew because i was beggining to think that that i was one of those morons that are going to end the world:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. jonny

Wat a Ditz I mean is she serious repulicans are well spoken and educated should I remind u of the one republican senator who believes gays are responsible for the economy. What idiots makes me sick. Go teach my the way on the infertile comment. All I have to say I'm a democrat and if that makes me an ass hen so be it.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just one:

Why can she obviously not tell you? Is there some kind of law where you live about people telling others their political views/affiliations?

11. ANightDude

I live in South Texas and that's strange. I meet a heck of alot of gay marriage supports. I love it when people can't find a real reason. :slight_smile:

12. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LMFAO, yeah it's as Black Cat said though stupid people are every, especially in the army lol let me tell yeah

There was some segment on tv in the drill hall and i started bs'n with an female nco who happend to be black, and she say's gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. so ask why and say there people too

she says well i think they should be separated from society but treated equally.
    me - like separate but equal?
    and she's like yeah! lol i started roll'n i couldn't stop laughing i couldn't believe she was that stupid, until i realized my 1st sgt was standing behind me, and he took her to another room and told me to push and that i should be ashamed of myself

but yeah stupid people are everywhere, it's one of life's mystries that you can't escape

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm glad your teacher called her out on her obviously ignorant reasons why gays shouldn't marry.

14. sdc91

Teachers aren't permitted to disclose political opinions, etc. in the classroom. Same goes for college; my political science professor wasn't allowed to say which party he volunteered for, but we were allowed to guess.

15. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Ugh, I know exactly how you feel. Most of the people who go to my school are exactly like that. Bleh.

16. Pasalacqua

Oh, that's rich.

17. TheBP

Thanks for the responses, peeps! :slight_smile:

Just a little update:

The same girl again decided to speak again today. She shared her opinion that Sarah Palin was the best thing that ever happened to America, and that she hopes she runs for 2012. Also, she and the teacher got into an argument about global warming. She said that the EPA (Or something to that degree) had given false information out about global warming and oil, and that she had printed out an article she got off the internet to "prove it".

The teacher then explained that while it may be true, it was probably the work of a lobbyist, and that they produce many "articles" of similar nature on both sides. The girl then boldly, and rather rudely, challenged the teacher to find one by the end of class. The teacher did. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know, I know, ignorance is everywhere. It just seems to be a lot more concentrated in the South, especially the Bible Belt. While it may be in the North as well, I would think less people would care about what you do. Do tell me if I'm wrong, I've never lived there. :/

Yeah, they can't share political or religious beliefs in school. Probably so they keep it professional or something to that degree.

18. SRSLYMARK

The stereotype that Republicans are well-educated changed IMMENSELY in the 2004 and even more so in 2008. A large percentage of college educated people voted for Barack Obama. So her statement is based on a stereotype that no longer holds true.

19. silentsound

oh my... things like this make me sad about the future of our country.

Also, I hate it when teachers claim they "can't tell you" their political views. I mean, I understand they're afraid of it causing distracting controversy whatever whatever but it can also open great doors. My history teacher last year was the best teacher I ever had and he was a republican (a really smart one too, it doesn't mean I agree, but he knew his issues and his opinions were well founded.) But it meant that I spent every day after school and many times in lunch debating him. We both learned a lot and it was fun. Sometimes opening up those lines to talk about the issues is very positive. /rambling

20. waitingsucks

poor girl she didn't even know what she was talking about