1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT teenagers today compared to yesterday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dude99, Jul 8, 2009.

1. dude99

dude99 Guest

Anyway it seems todays GLBT teenagers are much more accepting their sexuality and coming out much more common than when I was a teenager in late 1980s to early 1990s. Anyway it appears that todays GLBT youth also appear to experiment more with the same sex than people of GLBT youth when when I was their age. Do you think that is the case? Well when I was in school it was a homophobic environment and then students could easily get away if they publicly denounce GLBT people in front of the whole class, and if someone dared to admit they were GLBT then they would surely go though hell in school. Anyway you teenagers today have it too easy and have support groups like here, and many GLBT friendly organisations, and when I was there age these type of organisations were rare, but of course the internet was extremely hard to access then. But even with the increased acceptance of GLBT teenagers, is your school a really homophobic environment?

2. CrystalCat

It all depends on the area of your school. My school is somewhat homophobic, but there are/have been out gay teens, and some have been publicly ridiculed and the teacher either didn't say anything of spoke up on behalf of them. One of my friends was even jumped while walking home on night after he came out =/

3. sdc91

It's still homophobic in the schools. No support groups, homophobic boys, and you still go through hell and social suicide if you come out. At least, at my first high school. My second high school had a quasi-GSA (pretty much defunct now, was super secret-- unannounced meeting times and places, hidden memberlist, no adult support), and was just as homophobic since it was a boarding school and the other guys didn't want to live with "fags". I still had to wait until after HS to fully come out.

4. dude99

dude99 Guest

thanks for your replies. I guess the homophobia depends on the schools people attend. But of course even with the percieved acceptance of GLBT issues, conservative politicians have become much louder on GLBT issues in the past decade on their attempts to prevent gay marriages, and its not just in USA but my own country and the previous prime minister here was very outspoken about he was against gay marriages.

5. BeautifulStranger

>>> Teenagers today have it too easy

I highly disagree. It is easier, but in a world where homophobia is present everywhere, there is no such thing as having it "too easy".
    There's just as much risk of us getting kicked out of the house. Just as much risk of being denounced and humiliated at school. Just as much risk of becoming another minority found in a dumpster.

But, to answer your question, I come from a farming community in northern Michigan. General population is white-collared, god-fearing folk. And your business is everyone's business. So it's not the most accepting community, but it could be a lot worse.

6. silentsound

I very much disagree that it's easy, but it's certainly headed in the right direction. In some ways I feel like it's kind of a Catch-22, at least where I live, in that homosexuality is becoming more mainstreamed which allows kids to start to realize their sexuality earlier, but homophobia in schools is as bad as ever or, at times, worsening which causes the "staying in the closet in a homophobic high school" trauma-fest to go on longer.

7. Greggers

If someone came out in the high school i went to, you could gurentee a few things would happen:

- They would be expelled in a few weeks for no reason other than being gay
    - Their stuff would be vandalized (most common ways of this happening at my school were mayo in your backpack/locker or stink bombs)
    - They would be physically harmed as well as taunted on a very regular basis

And then these things would happen quite often:

- They might get kicked out of their home
    - Their friends may abandon them in large numbers, often by force of parents
    - They might commit suicide

Its quite the same as many of the movies i see from the 1980's or 1990's period of time in an LGBT viewpoint. Its no surprise seeing as its a private dutch conservative evangelical Christian school way out in the suburbs. I know of only one other gay student from the school other than me and he came out a few years after graduating. I came out the year after graduation (this year). No one has ever come out while still attending the highschool, but i know the things above are quite true from stories of the many other private schools in the area and the general attitude and comments ive heard from people on the subject.

So no, i would not say its "too easy" cause you cannot just clump an entire age group together as "generally having it more easy" in this day and age, because thats definitely not the case for everyone.

8. acorn7

I think as we see it hugely depends on where you are (and I was very lucky to grow up in an extremely accepting place), but I think overall, it has improved a lot. That said, I wouldn't say we have it much easier — accepting yourself, coming out, etc. are still very real challenges, even in a generally open environment. But they happen earlier for more and more people.

9. dude99

dude99 Guest

I am sorry to have said teenagers have it too easy today as now I realise it really depends on the area and school you go to. It can also depend on the type of parents the youth have.

10. Markio

I think in some ways some people have it easier, but coming out can never be too easy. Ideally it should have always been easy for everyone, and continue to be easy, but it's sadly not the case. In some ways, let's call it "less hard". Oops, pun. :grin:

On the other hand, most LGBT youth don't have to deal with as a vast a spreading of AIDS in America, although it is still a threat to many, gay and straight alike.

In terms of experimenting sexually, I doubt teenagers did that less at any point in history. Personally I've never experimented sexually with others, unless you count that time I was seven with some friends and we all touched each other's penises out of innocent curiosity...

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>if someone dared to admit they were GLBT then they would surely go though hell in school. Anyway you teenagers today have it too easy...

No. In our day, we didn't have it easy enough. BIG difference. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still happens in a hell of a lot of places.

The Internet's an incredible tool, definitely, but at least at my school and in my area, there were absolutely no easily accessible GLBT support and help groups. I don't think anyone at my school, teacher or student, had even heard of a GSA or anything like that.

It was pretty homophobic. Not to the extent of expulsion, but I lost most of my friends after coming out, and there was no support - the school counsellor basically told me "it's your choice to make, you've come out now deal with it".

13. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *people will instantly know you; the school topic
    *in the back of the minds of everyone
    *"fag"

end of story
    rather not go through that

*i know of one out kid, he's the stereotype gay one too *dyes his hair platinum blonde, and tight pink shirts, and tight pants* gross
    - "OMG Britney Spears I luuuv her!" flips wrist

I don't want to be clump with him.

#13 Jack2009, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  14. RaeofLite

I can't imagine being open in highschool. I was slowly realizing that I didn't feel "natural" or "fit" with guys like a girl "should" in society while in highschool. And after having the "older crushes", I knew that not everyone felt that way and to keep it to myself.

Thankfully I didn't fully realize what my desires/differences were till the summer after grad. Woo... but even then it was hell. Still... you can knock it off to the excuse of "college" to people who don't understand.

15. Garrett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am lucky to say that even in the South, my school isn't all that homophobic. Sure, there are a few people here and there but I have never really heard of any of any bullying or teasing going on at my school.

16. Mickey

I am a product of the late '70s, and I'm very happy,for all the changes,in the late 30 years!
    I'm also happy,that many young people,today,have a more open mind and seem to be way more accepting,then when I came out. (16 y.o. in 1978) It was HELL for me,but I survived!
    I think it's cool that places like this (E.C.),exists! I've seen so many people get help and great advice here! (&&&)

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the young people I've talked to in various parts of the US over the past 4 or 5 years, there is *tremendous* variation in the level of support, safety, and openness that LGBT youth experience, sometimes dramatic variation in the same area, a few miles apart.

Those who have grown up in the past 10 years in larger cities, particularly on the west coast, have often not experienced much in the way of homophobia or much of any negative effects resulting from being gay or lesbian. To a lesser extent, some smaller cities, as well as some cities in the south, also have remarkably supportive schools and other community resources.

However, there are also many, many places in the US where gay youth experience open hostility and contempt from other students, people in the community, and even school staff members. And that doesn't begin to touch on parents who hold rigid religious beliefs; it is incredible to me how many parents can raise a child, love him or her, and treat him or her with the most incredible love and kindness... and in an instant, it's all gone, and the kid is literally thrown out on the street, simply because of whom they are. For those kids, they are hardly any better off than the kids of 40 years ago.

While I agree that many wonderful strides have been made, there is much, much more to do, and when we stop even for a moment and talk about how good things are, we also have to remember that for many, many kids, that simply isn't the case.

18. Gumtree

As many have pointed out, it really does vary extravagantly pending on country, area, type of school etc.

Although, after spending a bit of time talking to my other brother (who is gay), whom is now aged 36 and went through the same High School I did, I began to realize that yes; things have changed quite a lot over the years, and for the better. Comparing my Gay related experiences to his has really made me appreciate the direction society is taking towards GBL people, but the comparison of my experience pre-coming out to that of being open, still indicate we have a long way to come before equality is even in view.

19. Just Adam

my school was homophobic to a degree it was all working class guys and old fashioned teachers stuck in a city that tends to be 20 years out of date...

20. BeautifulStranger

I wear tight fitting clothes because anything loose makes me feel like I'm hiding something, which in turn, makes me feel fat.
    I also dye my hair every color under the sun... Red, hot pink, orange, black, blue, blonde... I think my plain grey-brown hair is just too boring.
    I'd hardly say I'm a "gross" person because of it.