1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was so looking forward to my senior year...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BeautifulStranger

... and now it's been ruined.
    I heard the line-up for our drama club.

Our fall show is 'The Glass Menagerie' which is just plain depressing. It's about some woman living in the past who is dead set on finding a man for her daughter. Her disenchanted son supports the whole family, and after a botched dinner, he never returns home to them.
    End show.

Our murder mystery is called 'The Hilarious Hill-Billy Massacres'. The show is not hilarious... at all. I've read it in previous years. The entire thing is filled with jokes about inbreeding, hick accents and tax evasion.

We have no winter show as of yet, but it's traditionally a comedy. I have no doubt in my mind that it'll be something obscure and horribly done. Our drama club can never seem to put a good comedy together.

And our spring musical is 'Once Upon A Mattress'. I don't mind the show, but I was basically promised either 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' or 'Into the Woods'.

Now, if I was looking forward to one show, I could make the rest of the year work. But this has just depressed me even more so.
    I really don't want to go home now.

2. Cool Beans

Well, if there's enough acting talent in your drama club, I'm sure you could make The Glass Menagerie work. Depressing, yes, but it might be good and you might just enjoy working on it.

As for the others, that sucks. If you have to put the word "hilarious" in the title of something, it's not funny. That's all there is to it. That show sounds like it's on par with the one "comedy" I saw this year at a local high school. It was absolutely dreadful in every way.

Maybe you'll luck out and the winter show will be something good like The Nerd. Otherwise, well, I just feel bad for you. That sounds like it won't be a good year at all for the drama club. Just do the best you can and try to make it fun. At least your school puts on more than one show a year. At mine, we did a fall musical and that was it.

3. silentsound

I know it seems hopeless now, but try to look on the bright side. This year the show chosen for our main feature was so unappealing to me that I almost didn't audition. I'm really glad I did though, because I ended up getting a lead, having a really awesome time, and falling in love with the show. Try to be positive, you may find a gem in there you didn't think ever existed!

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you're so unhappy about it, then why don't you just drop out of the drama club?

5. BeautifulStranger

I'm on the bored, so I'd be letting the whole club down anyways.
    Besides, if I wanted to do theatre, I'd have to do it at the high school.
    The local theatres in town don't impress me at all. We have a professional theatre, but the current director loathes me for some reason unknown to me, and the community theatre is so unprofessional.
    For example, we hired a man known for his work at the community theatre to direct last year's musical, but we had to fire him a week before the show because he focused all of his attention on ONE dance number and he hadn't done anything like he had promised us.

Not to mention I absolutely love performing and being on stage, but if I don't like the show I'm doing, how can I give a truly great performance?

6. KatoKumi

I'm sorry. I really like "Once Upon a Matress" though. More than "Thoroughly Modern Millie." Yuck.

I say bail, but you know. Whatever works out. I thought you were 21+ x_x;

7. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I am so sorry to hear that :frowning2: But I know how you feel. I could act the ass off of anyone in a musical BUT my High School NEVER put on Musicals...because they knew I'd outstage anybody MUAH AHHAH AHAHAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHA !!!!! LOL Just kidding (but secretly I KNOW it's true LOL) But that blows. I had to do some political play! YARG! Still won best actor though...obviously :grin:

8. BeautifulStranger

Heh, I get that a lot

Anyways, I'm suggesting we do a second musical in winter (We did two musicals last year... the year I'm not at AHS...). 'The Apple Tree' is really fun and it's a SUPER small cast (3 people) so it would not be too stressful at all.
    More people could be devoted to set-building and since our murder mystery runs at the same time, a rule could be made that those doing the winter show can't do the murder mystery and vice-versa.
    An equal chance for everyone who wants a part to get one.

I win 'Best Actor in a _______' everytime I'm nominated.
    I feel as one of Masquier's Club greatest assets, my voice should be louder than everyone else's. (I've earned my Diva title and I wear it with pride)

9. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

You wear that Diva title! Hey hey hey! :slight_smile: Oh and I love your signature..."Co-Founder of the 'Sailor Moon Made Me Gay Club'" LMAO! LOVE IT :slight_smile:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not think about mounting at least a small production of something you like? Do a little work, raise a little money to cover the royalties, and work with your friends on the board and actors you know and like and put something together just for fun. That's how some of the best community theater groups have started.

It doesn't have to be a big expensive endeavor with a full orchestra and fancy sets, there are musicals that have small casts, minimal set requirements, and can be done with a small pit band.

If you enjoy theater and don't like any of the community theater groups, what better solution than to work together with people you like and start your own. Some of the best community theater groups out there started that exact same way, people who saw the need and started somethign where nothing existed, or people who didn't like what was already there and started something new.

11. erod123

wow sounds depressing

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except Glass Menagerie is written by one of the 20th century's best playwrights, who just happens to be gay: Tennessee Williams. And that the play itself is an extended allegory for being closeted. And is thought to be autobiographical.

Doing The Glass Menagerie should be a dream come true for any gay drama person.

13. Chaos

This.

I so agree! I was just going to post something similar. I would have been happy about "The Glass Menagerie".

14. hiker360

haha, i know how you feel...sortof... i was really looking forward to having an awesome year in marching band since it was the last time i would be in colorado , but we ended up loosing , but still had tons of fun, so i guess what i'm trying to say is een though it may not be what you wanted, you should still have as much fun as you can and who knows you might even make it funner too and actually enjoy it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Gumtree

Hrmm, have you much space to alter the plays?

In my drama club, we often get assigned terrible plays; but we alter them so much that we end up having a great time!

16. BeautifulStranger

We do them as the script says.
    So none....