1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purpose In Life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SadConfusedBandGeek, Jul 18, 2007.

1. SadConfusedBandGeek

Does anyone here believe that they have a specific purpose in life?
    Like you were put on the Earth to do a specific job, or specific thing??

Personally i believe that my purpose in life is to make people happy. Everyone says I am happy 24/7 and that I never stop smiling! I always enjoy making people laugh. Its one of the best feelings in the world.
    And i also find it VERY VERY VERY hard to be mad at other people, and i forgive them and start being happy within hours! lol

But ya i think my purpose is to make people happy and laugh:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

- Josh

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

I guessed my purpose in life even before I heard it from a phychic. My purpose is to teach people life lessons. I love helping people out especially if they have been in the same situation that i've been in. Although i have to suffer a lot to learn the lessons, at least I get to help people from what I learn.

3. Jerr

To teach people anything and everything that I have known...

Or take over the world... (Hey I have the evil villain scar...)

4. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Excellent life view (tip of the hat). Some may agree with the idea of a purpose in life and some may not. Personally, I have felt that I have one and have engaged in it doing what I do. Overall in my personal as well as professional life I have great happiness as well as knowing I have been a help to many. But I do think the overall purpose for everyone is to learn love and how to apply it in all situations. Maybe someday, huh?

Best wishes and a good on ya for your attitude.

JH

5. Steam Giant

A therapist told me the following.

"Some people spend their entire lives looking for the meaning of life, when all it is is that we enjoy every moment to its fullest."

Personally, my mission in life is similar to that, but also involves being there for others who need the support. I want everybody to enjoy life, and if I can help to make that happen, then all the better. Also, there are a few things I'd like to do before I die, heh. Like visit Japan, or build a castle entirely out of banana flavored condom packaging.

6. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, that sounds just like me
    I've never been able to hold a grudge in my life, and my friends tell me that I'm funny even when I'm sad(which isn't often!)
    Gayreat minds think alike:lol:

7. SadConfusedBandGeek

LOl yes Gayreat people like us cant hold grudges:slight_smile:

8. 24601

I actually totally agree with Dan. I believe that the purpose of life is to live every minute as best you can. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe in a somewhat... different... afterlife: the good deeds that you do in life will affect those people positively even after you've gone, as will the bad, though negatively. By doing good deeds and making the best out of life, you will not only be the happiest you can be, but you will create happy memories and affect the lives of others - things that will live after you. By making a positive influence on the lives of those around you, you make both yourself and them feel better. A win win situation. But I guess I'm not really answering your question, am I?

I guess for me, personally, my purpose in life was to make others happy. Even the slightest bit. That's what I enjoy. I want to make a difference in the world - a positive difference. A man much more brilliant than me once said, "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones." Shakespeare had a point. I think it's my goal and should be the goals of most people to make sure the good that they do does live after them, and the mistakes they make don't overcloud the help and happiness they've given.

9. SadConfusedBandGeek

Ya i also agree with you guys when you say live life to its fullest extent!
    Personally I dont know what i believe about afterlife or god or anything like that. I will have to wait till i die to figure that out.
    So i just live life how I choose and do what makes me happy.

10. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only purpose and meaning your life has it that which you give it.

11. Red87

I don't really feel I was put here for a certain purpose, but rather your purpose in life is what you make it. If you want to be an a-hole and make other people's lives suck, then that is your purpose, or if you want to make good of your life, then it is your choice as well.

I'm kind of like you SadConfused though, I always have a smile on my face and people always wonder how the hell I can be happy even when everyone else seems to be angry. I dont hold grudges at anyone, and I've been told I'm too kind and Forgiving. I don't know, but I just can't see myself really truely hating anyone, even though I do dislike some people. (My Platoon Sergeant, for one... He's an * ).

12. SpikySpice

I can se that theer are so many sadness going on around us, close to us or far away.
    I know that I am a small person, and not sure if I can be able to heal this whole big Earth, but
    I can do my small part, I cant invent a pill to make people happy when they drink it, but I can use myself as someone who tries to amke others feel happy

In this crazy world, anything can happen if you will it to...
    You see taht so amny wrong things are happening in our society, drugs and killings, figtings,...
    I want all of those to stop.
    I wanna becoem someone who can heal people's physic, and emotion

13. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it should be everyone's purpose in life to make other people happy. If everyone fufilled thier purpose the world would be a much better place.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have had many circumstances and coincidences in my life that have led me to where I am.....PFLAG President and gay rights advocate. So do I feel I have purpose.........YES!

15. GuitarGirl1350

Yes, especially because I don't believe in an afterlife. Life is the purpose, and our role has to be fulfilled.
    As for my purpose, I have no idea.

16. Moth

I don't believe in a predetermined purpose, destiny, fate, etc. or anything like that. But I do believe that all people have certain responsibilities to themselves and to others in life, such as taking care of others and being true to themselves. I guess I believe that I determine my own purpose... and I have determined that I want to help other people as much as I possibly can... all sorts of people, but mostly people like me, and like a lot of people I know. I want to provoke people to think, to take a second look at things, and encourage them to live the best, fullest life they possibly can. If I could help even one person, I believe I would feel as though I'd done my part.

17. GuitarGirl1350

I also have no ability to hold a grudge- even against those few who have wronged me in horrible ways.

18. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do feel like I have a purpose. I believe God gave me a special sense of how to help Developmentally Disabled and Physically Challenged adults learn new life skills. Also, I was given (because it does not come naturally) patience to work with that population.

Another purpose I feel I have is the ability and responsibility to speak the truth - like prophesy, but not the kind where you tell the future. Rather, prophesy is speaking the truth regardless of the consequences or opinions of others.

Also, I guess I believe my ultimate purpose is to "love the Lord my God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my mind" - and to "love my neighbor as myself".

19. GuitarGirl1350

I think my purpose may be to be a grammar superhero, saving the world from misspellings one letter at a time!

...SO WHAT IF I SECRETLY WRITE A COMIC BOOK ABOUT IT....
    >.<

20. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, i completely agree with that. Personally, I think the idea of a "purpose" was created by our human nature to see deeper meaning in everything when there rly isn't. As far as we know, there's no proof of any sort of purpose in life so why not just enjoy our short oh so short time on earth :slight_smile: