1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jack2009, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is regards with "normal" population and has nothing to do with personality either.

Do you find it more attracting when someone is genuinely more or less intelligent than you are?

Why, and if not, then why?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't date someone unintelligent. I'm not asking for sky-high IQ or anything like that, but I seriously doubt that I could be attracted to someone who couldn't put a decent sentence together or hold a reasonable conversation.

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

omg i like it if i date an untillegent guy just as long they are athletic lol

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer intelligent and intellectual guys that can actually carry on a conversation and not stand there grunting like a cave person. I wouldn't mind dating somebody that is smarter than me, as long as he didn't go throwning around metaphysical terms and such just to embarass me.

5. silentsound

I am going to sound like a complete jerk when I say this, but it's difficult for me to find people in my age bracket who are as intelligent as me. I don't mind at all when people are not as smart as me, but you have to be able to carry on a conversation. Maturity/ intelligence are incredibly sexy. Unintelligence does NOT do it for me. Anyway, even if they're GPA isn't as high as mine or their world view is narrower I still think there is something worth learning from everyone.

I wouldn't mind being with someone smarter than me, as long as their not a jerk about it. I don't like being made to feel stupid and I don't like making people feel stupid, so I would say about even is really the best.

6. mattypants

^^ i woulnt find a person who enjoys embarasing attractive...

i dont find intelligence to be too high a high factor. but, id rather they be smarter than me. academia speak is sexy :grin:

7. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

Not sure really, I think it's definately a consideration but it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. Without wanting to sound big headed, I identify myself as semi-intelligent (I'm not gonna win any Nobel prizes, but I'm really enjoying the academia aspect of university), but I don't think I'd want someone to be intellegent so much as I'd want them to be stimulating. I'd like someone I can talk to, debate with sometimes, but I wouldn't want that to be the basis of the relationship, just part of it. I think, for me at least, sense of humour and common sense would be more important than intellegence. (Hope that made sense, I'm babbeling today :slight_smile:)

8. Basically this.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's a bit confusing for me - due to my illness, I have what's known as "delusions of grandeur", which would make me think things like, "I'm the smartest person on earth" or "I'm better than everyone".

I personally like it when they are at about the same intelligence as me - although I'm not delusional atm. Usually off my meds I think I'm the smartest person in the world.

10. tm74

tm74 Guest

I'd agree - for any relationship to include more than physical attraction, the other person is going to need to be at a similar level of intellect to myself - simply so we can discuss things on a similar level!

11. sdc91

I could care less. I just like people who are not uptight and love to have fun. You don't have to be smart to be able to hold a conversation... in fact, I've noticed that in general the smarter someone is, the more judgmental they are and the less common sense/street skills they have. If my bf is smart, yay. If he's just average, that's ok too. (I won't date someone who's dumb as rocks, though.)

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I've noticed that myself; I have absolutely no street skills >.< .

13. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To me, I rather date someone whose personality is great, but "book" smarts isn't a huge factor me. Just adequate intelligence for me.

I am not sure where I fall in intelligence spectrum, since sometimes I feel as if I am fairly intelligent or slightly below average. I don't measure intelligence by grades, IQ points, or any of that but the actual brain power a person is capable to have if functioned to the fullest potential. I believe most people can appear intelligent, but there is an invisible measurement no matter what. There are mentally disabled people, but some of them are that way because they were just born that way. Average people just don't see others or their intelligence as much because it blends with the majority, and once that happens people just aren't aware. They have no true way of contrasting themselves, but of course compare to a mentally disable they noticed it, but compare to Albert Einstein is a bit more difficult, and you would just assume he is an "intellect" but not necessarily extremely more intelligent than you are. This is assuming you have no history of him, and only meeting him for the first time.

14. Miles D

I'd rather date someone that was "smart" than sexy. And not necessarily with a super high IQ, just someone with common sense.

Also people who speak slowly piss me off. And people with no opinion. Brains over brawn in my book. :grin:

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I like to separate IQ from intelligence, since "intelligence" by its own definition is so wide that something like one's intelligence quotient only reiterates one's ability to learn, and not things that the person already knows :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

16. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Agree, the average IQ for sub saharan Africa is around the mid 60's, but I doubt they are that low because that's consider mentally disable.

I think it's the lack of education, malnutrition, that contributes to low IQ rather than just low intelligence.

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

65 and below is mentally retarded :/ . I highly doubt that the average would be that low.

18. jazzrawr

Intelligence is a huge turn on for me. I can't be in a relationship and be happy with someone who isn't level with me. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I'm at least slightly intelligent.
    It's honestly hard for me to find anyone my age at the same maturity and intelligence level as I am. I don't know why. I don't want to sound stuck up, but it's my experience.
    I would date someone more intelligent than myself, but I might feel like they think I'm not smart. XD

19. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not like to date someone with no intelligence, and I would feel kinda dumb if the person I dated was way smarter than me. A bunch of people who have already posted seem to be confusing, or at least assimilating ones ability to communicate and their intelligence. I find this rather frustrating because there are lots of times where I will start a sentence three or four times, not completing it, have to pause and restart a few seconds later before I can get an idea across. There are lots of people out there who like me, have issues communicating that are even worse than me, so much more that they are diagnosed with something. This doesn't mean that one is dumb, it just takes different ways or more time to express their intelligence. I don't see this as a barrier, maybe a little bit of one, but it is certainly not unsurmountable!
    So, yes, intelligence is a factor for me.

20. KatoKumi

Qft.
    I need more than just a pretty face.