1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40 hour famine - Sponsor me to starve myself for the Global Food Crisis!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by George1, Jul 16, 2009.

1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, I'm going to be doing the 40 Hour Famine this year! :grin:

For those of you who don't know, the 40 Hour Famine is an event held by World Vision each year in which we have to give up something which is important to us for 40 hours, have people sponsor us all to raise money for countries affected by the global food crisis.

So the Global Food Crisis is a serious problem affecting many nations in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. It's from the explosion of the index price of food, and now about 1 billion people are unable to survive. Many families will go a day with no breakfast, no lunch, and most of the time no dinner either. They have to survive on scraps they can find from already harvisted fields, or go fishing/hunting for what they can find, if they can find anything to eat.
    Each day over twenty-five thousand people die from malnutrition/starvation in the countries affected by the Global Food Crisis.

So, our population is about 6.7 billion people right now, and 1 billion are affected by the food crisis. So we're pretty close to one in every seven people being affected by this. And what's alarming is that it's growing day by day. Since March about 300 million people have fallen into this category.

So on the 21st of August I'm going to be giving up food, furniture and technology, all for this cause (done by World Vision). :slight_smile:

I am looking for sponsorships, so please, if you are interested in making an online donation PM me! Donating online is perfectly safe and your personal information will not be disclosed to anyone except for World Vision. :slight_smile:
    I would post the link to the donations page here but due to restrictions put in place by the staff for safety and whatnot you'll have to PM me for it.

I have a goal to raise $2000. As of this evening I've got $303.30, so I'm on my way!

2. dictionary

*likes this*

Did you go to World Vision GLC?
    2k = 250 Kids Fed

I'm running my schools 40hr famine.... are you doing this as an individual or as a group?
    are you just requesting donations or are you going to do some FUNdraisng?

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school's doing it as a group but we all have individual booklets. I've nearly finished my second book lol.

4. dictionary

How did you all get together like did they anounce it at asembly... are you doing a bid group activity.... sory for all the questions but i plann to feed thousands of africans.... Why not give up talking? i plan to like give up 20 things

Food
    Talking
    Furniture
    Technology
    ...hmmmm?

5. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They announced it at assembly. And it's ironic because right before the World Vision guy who visited went up on stage I had gone up to tell the school about our Amnesty International group and we were like "yeah Amnesty isn't about getting a lot of money and dumping it in countries for aid" and then the guy from World Vision came up and well.. Yeah lol. It looked like we were competing or something with the way we said it lol.

6. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ;_; No one interested in helping?

7. CrystalCat

I would, but i'm incredibly broke right now =/

8. Jerr

I would but I don't care about starving people...

I've got Marissa.... She does the FJO thing. Feed Just One. All that jazz. (Although technically she has given a ton of money to that thing so I'm pretty sure more then just one person was fed off her charitable nature...)

Plus, as evil as I am, I don't see myself paying to sponsor someone so they can starve themselves in the name of charity... especially because it seems like you are more mocking them by doing the 40 hour famine rather then helping.

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, having my friends piss themselves laughing at me not being able to stay glued to my phone is one of the only ways I can get them to actually donate money to something. =/