1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you read books?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dictionary, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dictionary

Hopefully in the right place or the correct thread nazi will get me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ok seriously dont make a joke that you eat books or you burn them i mean do you actualy go out an find books and read them... like not books that you are forced to read...

Because the thing is I don't read. i realy only read my set texts for english and that can be a bit of a strugle, i can read perfectly Im not dyxlexic and i dont have a learning diffuculty (despite my poor spelling) I just don't understand how some people can throughly enjoy sitting down and reading a book.. i cant see anything more boring than sitting down and reading a book like harrypotter for a week when i can see the movie in 2 hours...

I'm not saying that reading is stupid i find reading newspapers, magazines and things online... Perhaps it's just an age thing?

Yeah so just wanting to know do you read books? and like how often how many and how long dose it take?

2. Just Adam

i love to read its amaizing lose yourself in another worl and its better than tv as you can imagine how things look not have them shown you

3. shorty

Yup, love books. Go from not reading one for six months, to reading a dozen in two months. Bit like Just Adam said, you can lose yourself into it a bit more, and your imagination can get a bit more involved than during a movie. The whole "movie wasn't as good as the book" rings true for me for most I have read the book then seen the movie.

4. davo-man

Yep I most certainly do read books. Right now I'm reading The End, as well as I Peed on Fellini (love it :grin:). I just ordered Beyond the Deepwoods and Vox so they're up next, and I'm going to be ordering The Neverending Story (one of my favourites :slight_smile: ). For my birthday, I'm hoping to get Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical Rent and RENT (the book/lyrics/music as well as a behind the scenes look at how it came to be). I'm also actively collecting all of the black editions of the Discworld novels (got half of them) and am going to go buy the first two books of the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy in the next couple of days.

So yeah, I read a bit hehe

5. shireguy

oh my friend got me into

city of bones
    city of ashes
    city of glass

READ THEM!!!!

6. Eccentric

Yes, I enjoy reading books when I'm not eating or burning them. I was reading Les Miserables, but that brick is huge. I'm taking a break from it so I can read my summer reading books for school. A nice nonfiction book is also as good a read as a novel.

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely love reading. I know many people who do not like reading, so your not alone there, but I have always enjoyed reading. There is just something magical about being able to loose yourself and everything that's bothering you in a book. Sometomes I think that I read too much actually, and thus have a major misconception of the real world. I have actually run out of books to read several times, and know almost every book I own word for word.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This from a guy with a Tintin avatar (and, should I add, the name of a book as a sign-in name)? How the hell do you know Tintin if not from the killer comic books by Herge? :slight_smile:

I always read books. I have to have at least two books next to my bed, so I have something to read before I fall asleep, and I usually keep at least one at work so I can read during lunch.

Lex

9. Jonathan

Yep, I love reading. There is nothing like sitting down with a good book. Like others have said, you can simply lose yourself more in a book than in a movie. Sure, reading the book may take more time than just seeing the movie but in my opinion the book is almost always superior. Plus they don't always include everything in movie, so you'd be missing out on details by not reading the book. In my opinion, reading is an awesome way to relax...but only if you find a book you like. You'll never enjoy reading if you're reading things you dislike. I personally despise books that we have to read for my english class, they just aren't my forte. However, give me a good fanstasy book (like Harry Potter) and I'll finish reading it in no time.

As of now, I just finished reading the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

10. MusicIsLife

I'm a total bookworm. At the moment i'm rereading Interview With The Vampire and The Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring :slight_smile: I looove books.

And to answer your question: I read at least 2-3 books/month, but it really depends on the size. A book like Twilight could take 24 hours, a book like the fellowship of the ring takes about 3 weeks.

11. Markio

When I was younger, I would read a lot. All the Boxcar Children, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, etc. Around when I went to high school I slowed down with the recreational reading, because I felt like I had less time because of school. I did read all the books I needed to for class; I tend to finish my summer reading before the end of June. I like to read, even if I don't do it so often. Mostly I just go in bookstores, start reading a book, then leave it there without finishing or buying it. Maybe I'm just afraid of reading books because it cost money. I should invest in a library card...

12. djt820

I guess I read now. Im currently reading The Odyssey.

13. 71390S

71390S Guest

Yes, I looooooooooooooooooooooove to read.

14. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is book. Is good.

15. KittyBoy

I have been reading major novels since I was 6, I just love to read! I have read a lot of books! I average about 600 a day, but that was before I started year 12, now it is like 0, lol, thanks to school.

16. Étoile

I was never a big reader. I hated reading when I was a child but the rare moments I did, it was enjoyable. I've started reading more after I entered high school but it's not my favorite hobby. The one problem I have with reading is it's hard to multi-task with a book in your hand.

17. GhostDog

Yep, I do. I'll read when I want a quiet moment, when I'm waiting at the doctor's office, between classes, just... Whenever. I'll read for ten minutes or I'll read for two hours. It just depends on what mood I'm in and how good the book is!

But I didn't used to read very much, so you're not alone there. When I was little, I wasn't half so interested in the words as the pictures. Though, looking back, I realize that may have just been my budding artistic interest. =P It didn't help that most of the books they made us read in school were historical fiction, coming of age stories, and Literary Masterpieces. I liked some of them, but ugh, I wouldn't have minded eating or burning Ethan Frome or The Red Pony.

What got me reading for fun was just finding the genre I was interested in. At some point, we read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury in English, and I started reading more of his work. Then I started reading other sci fi/fantasy writers! Some sucked, mind, but there were some books I just couldn't put down. Dune by Frank Herbert was probably my first most beloved book, that I read of my own volition (I've reread it several times since). And I got into the Harry Potter series, Terry Pratchett's work, Neil Gaiman's work, and I started Perdido Street Station by China Miéville recently and I'm finding it really interesting so far. Maybe it's not Serious Intellectual Fare, but I enjoy it.

I still can't stand Steinbeck, though.

So it's all a question of just finding what you like!

18. MusicIsLife

Seconded :slight_smile:

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a lot (average of maybe a couple books a week, plus constant online stuff) but nearly all my reading is nonfiction. (ok, so I'm a big nerd.)

My problem with good fiction is, when I start reading it, I have difficulty putting it down, which means staying up till 4am reading, or blowing off the next day reading till I finish the book... but I do still read fiction here and there :slight_smile:

20. MyLife134

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I love reading actually. But it wasn't always like that lol i use to hate so much that i would refuse to read things in class (which may be why i can't spell lol). i love to read since it makes me feel like im somewhere else. My teacher made me pick a genre i liked and it ended up working! lol I usually read 10 books a year, depending on how long they are. It usually takes me a week or two to read them, but i once read a 200 page book in 3 1/2 hours. lol it surprised me!