1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

child stars:Envy or Pity them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by carrie90, Jul 23, 2009.

?

Pity or Envy?

1. Pity

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Envy

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I was just browsing the internet and there was this article about the Harry Potter children and how they have grown up into mature well rounded adults and then had other child stars like Lindsay Lohan and Micha Barton who well havn't turned out so well.

and it was talking about the pro's and con's of so much fame so young and the affect it can have, I thought it was a really interesting topic and was just curious what you guys think and your opinion's

#1 carrie90, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. Just Adam

i [[itty them as alot of them are forced into the fame world and forced to do these things. family wants money kids are pushed to hard ....

i just find it very sad :frowning2:

3. OneHatMadder

Envy.
    I would've been a FABULOUS child star!

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pity them. I think that if they really want fame that badly then they will achieve it in the future when they are slightly more able to deal with the things that fame can bring. I actually think that the entertainment industry needs to have some sort of age limit put into place to prevent the kids from becoming whacked out like some of today's former child stars. I also heard a suggestion from someone on a TV show talking about children in Hollywood today (I think it may have been Whoopi Goldberg, I don't remember). She suggested having someone unrelated to the industry and the star(s) come in and check on how the younger actors/actresses are being treated or something like that.

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I pity the ones that aren't as famous anymore.

I envy the ones that used fame for the wrong purposes, rather than do something with it.

Harry Potter cast was a little bit older when they were famous, and Lindsay Lohan was really young. Plus, she wasn't a mess until she became an adult. She would had been a mess regardless of fame, it's how she was brought up, not the fame.

Hilary Duff is a child star, and she's normal as far as I can see.

6. Rygirl

I think it depends on the individual, if they can cope with the attention and have the maturity to deal with being famous then I don't see a problem with them finding fame at a younger age.

7. lostinthought9

ummm...both. I pity and envy them in a way.
    I pity them because they didn't get to live their childhood in a less stressful environment.
    But I also envy all the fame and money they recieved.
    ...so, it's kinda like a double-edged sword.

8. pirateninja

I reckon that if that child star has good parents, who are able to support them through the stress, keep their heads from getting too big and provide for them as normal an upbringing as possible, then I envy them. The parents of the HP child stars did a pretty good job on their kids, as they seem to be able to cope with the fame, as well as seeming well educated and down to earth. I do envy them.

The child stars that don't have that proper support or those that have parents that use their fame or push them harder, I pity. Nobody deserves to have unnecesary stress on themselves and they deserve to have a proper childhood and I reckon that even with fame, that with good parental and friend support they can grow up like any other kid.

9. djt820

Pity is such a strong word. I feel sorry for them actually.

10. Kaim

Kaim Guest

There are some exceptions, but typically I'd say that I pity them because they seem to come out spoiled more often than not and have unrealistic interpretations of other people's lives, how the world works, etc.

11. mattypants

i'd fit into the middle group, both pity and envy... nothing like the glamour and monies...but when it doesnt work out... its kinda depressing

12. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on the celebrity, but I've never envied child stars. Some have had relatively good childhoods, but there are more than a few who's parents used them to make money and had to grow up very fast. Take Michael Jackson- a prime example of a child star who was thrust into the spotlight of performance at a very early age (I think he was 5 y/o when he first started performing with the Jackson Five?). His parents (and a lot of other people in his life) never really let him be a kid- ie- they never really allowed him to do everything a normal kid does. I think that's why he acted so bizarrely at many points in his adult life (and why he named his kid "blanket" :dry:slight_smile:- and it would explain why he wanted to hang out with children less than half his age. I think no one will ever know for sure whether or not he actually molested those kids (except for Michael, those kids, and God). I would never want any of my future children interacting with someone like him (even if they have the best of intentions). I am more resentful at his parents than anyone else (including Michael himself), because indirectly robbing a kid of their childhood is inexcusable in this instance- it left him screwed up for the rest of his years.

#12 edogs334, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither. I don't think they lead horrible lives, necessarily, but it's not a life I would've wanted to lead. I do think the child star path is full of pitfalls, but it can be negotiated in such a way that the child grows up into a good person.

Lex

14. Jeimuzu

Envy. They've had amazing opportunities, that I didn't even realise at those ages were available. If they screw them up, well that's their fault tbh.

15. rocking23

Envy!

I can out-act Dakota Fanning any day!
    Plus I would be an amazing celebrity!

16. littledinosaurs

Neither, i don't think about child stars.

17. Lychee

This. :slight_smile:

18. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    same as above ^.^;

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally don't think about child stars while I'm drooling over Rodger Corser but when I do happen to think about them it's varied. The ones who get into copious amounts of trouble deserve a stern kick up the butt, but those who are getting severely stressed from it and act out I feel sorry for, and those who can manage it and be successful for many years I envy and admire. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. KittyBoy

I really pity them. Though there are only a few that I do not pity.