1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it bother anyone else when..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JT, Jul 25, 2009.

1. JT

JT

Someone is recently in a relationship and they profess their "love" for them.

IE
    "Anon is in a relationship with anon"
    Anon is "I love my baby so much <33333333 forever and ever."

Broadcasting over facebook, mind you.

I don't know what it is, but it really, really agitates me. I'm going out with my best friend, so we knew each other very well when we entered our relationship and I can wholeheartedly say I'd never felt feelings of being in love, or love for quite some time. Nonetheless, we hadn't verbalized it for quite some time. Even to this day, it's not something said on the regular. I've probably only said it a handful (9? 10?) times in about 6 1/2 months. I just feel like when someone says they love you, you should feel that. A wave of emotion that warms your core, outward.

But no, some people just make it into another watered-down sentiment.

/end vent. Sorry.

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it gets a tad annoying at times, though perhaps it's jealousy on my part? I don't know, I've never had a relationship.

3. matty123

that does really annoy me!like maybe i'm just not a believer in love at first sight, but i figure when i'm in love i'll know, cos i'll be with the right person, but i figure its something that comes with time, but then you have people that have bin out for like a few weeks and are all 'i love u' and u just think really??yeh love should be kept special, not just thrown around!

4. JT

JT

I know what you mean. Although, I should have clarified. Straight or gay. It's just an irritating concept.

5. Bevo

Hmm...I know where you're coming from but what are you gonna do? So what if people use love as a vacuous, emotionless expression. What matters is what it means to you.

6. JT

JT

I like your point of view. I guess when you put it like that, I realize my resentment for people that do it. And that is for the sole reason that it seems like they're taking such a powerful, sought-after emotion and making it something that seems easily attainable. Let alone, take it for granted. I would never tell anyone, no matter how long they'd been w/ someone they weren't in love. To say you are is simply your prerogative. But I'm a firm believer that love at first sight is a farfetched concept. I don't mean to rustle any feathers if someone feels otherwise. I'm just a cautious lover, on that note.

Putting it into perspective, it's a thing I've noticed coming from straight people on facebook. Hence resentment on my part. Being in the proverbial closet until literally a year ago at this time, love and someone to share my life with was probably my second highest priority in coming out. That's just an observation I'm making aside from my opinion that gay or straight, it's an annoying occurrence regardless.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's only annoying when it's from a friend who goes through this every three months with somebody new. Because it means the cycle is repeating, and we have to prepare for another round of "guys are jerks" sympathy drinking in another month or so...

Lex

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, a lot of people are so totally out of touch with their emotions that they really don't even *understand* love. So rather than "cheapening" it, I think many are simply clueless; when you're closed down emotionally or walled off to your feelings, then *any* sensation toward anyone else may be misinterpreted for "love".

And (although this is a slightly different topic) I think that it is also possible to feel very different kinds of love; for example, you may have a best friend that you feel no romantic attachment to, but you still care very deeply for, and that is (in my book) definitely "love."

Of course, even though someone may be mislabeling a feeling because they don't know better, it still contributes to the overuse of the term. But one can hope that, as people go through their own processes of discovery, they eventually learn what real love is, and are more cautious about throwing the word around.

9. -Michael-

It's unfathomable how much i agree with you.

10. yeah i know what you mean.
    even if they been through it tons of times.

11. KeithJ108

i think some people confuse love with lust or infatuation...it is annoying but i'm guessing if I knew the person well enough i'd know if it was said casually or with more meaning.

12. Shevanel

This

And this. xD

13. Just Adam

i personally only have one type of love i love you or i dont... all this i love you as a friend ... that dont wash with me you either love someone or you dont you cant add stipulations rules and exceptions to it. if i say i love someone i mean it and i truelly care.

14. mattypants

indeed to both and tree. /nod
    especially the 2nd

15. GhostDog

I LOVE LAMP

... sorry, it was asking for it =P

16. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I now officially love you for saying that brick <3

Anyway the topic ye i totally agree with you i believe love is a word that should mean something and some people do just say it for the sake of saying it

17. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think too many people, by and large, are just terribly codependent and unable to fully understand one's emotions.

What bothers the hell out of me are the people who have known each other for two weeks and tell everyone "we're in love."

Of all the people I've been with in my time here on this ball of dust, I've loved only two. So I don't quite get it when people are "falling in love" with someone every couple months.

Or, it could just be me. Dunno.

18. twixy30

this i really funny i was just having this same conversation with a friend the other night my best friend just got out of a relationship that she had been in for 4 years. and now she has a new boyfriend they only have been together for 1 month. she is already saing "i love you " and i say how do you love some one like that when you just got out of a relationship. Love is a strong word and it should not be tossed around unless it is truly ment. I have never been in love and i wish i were but im not going to say i love some one ive only dated a week regarless if ive known them all my life. i dont throw that word around and same goes with hate it too is a strong word do people go around throwing that at people all the time? well maybe some do but i would never do that so either way i only say something i mean and before i say i make darn sure i mean it cuz you can never take it back!!!

19. Jace

gah i hate that
    its like how the fuck do you even know yet?

my best friend is sorta like this
    like last summer she "loved" this guy she was dating, then he fucked her over cheated with some dyke (no offence of course) and got herpes (serves him right)
    now she hates him
    and then earlier before school ended she was dating this other guy (total jackass, i've known him longer then she has) i warned her, she didnt listen because she "genuinely thought she loved" him
    and bammmmmmmm
    now she hates him too
    gggaaahhh

"love is a four letter word, that, should never be heard"

20. RaRa

I find it amusing.