1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I gay? any thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by downboyup, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Why am I gay ?

1. Biological or genetically influenced

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Environmental influences

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Past life gender identification

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Some brain or mind abnormality

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I wonder what lottery did I win or lose (depending on mood and circumstance) to be gay.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on why some of us are gay.

I have heard of the following ideas:

- Some believe it is genetic and all a biological influence -

- Some think it is an environmental influence when young -

- Some think it stems from a 'nasty' abnormality in the brain or mind -

- Some think it is a past life influence, where you are now a different gender than you were in the life before but retained the sexual attraction.

Personally I believe in past lives and have recalled some vividly, so I tend to go with the last one.

For my sister who is now gay, she had bad men experiences and just wont go there again. and for my twin nieces who are gay, well they just grew up caring for each other. So all of them would say 'environmental'

Anyone put any thought to it? What do others think?

2. CrimsonThunder

Honestly I think it could be any of those.

I didn't totally realise that I was homosexual untill a few bad expereinces with girls, but I did have attractoin to guys before hand. I just never realised it.

3. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yah same with me. I've always been attracted to women but i only realized i was gay after MANY bad experiences with men lol. But I would say that it's a combination of all biological and environmental influences.

4. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this may not be very helpful, but here is my thoughts. I have no idea why I am gay. The more time passes after coming out, the more it really doesn't matter to me 'why'. I just know I am attracted to girls, not boys. I just know I want to find a female spouse to spend the rest of my life with. This is just for me though. I know some people really want to know 'why', but I am not sure it is a realistic question to answer.

5. Sam

Sam

well I believe genetics and/or a possible chemical imbalance in the brain is the reason why most of us are gay while a small percentage could be about environmental or some other reason but really I don't care anymore I am gay and thats it, end of story. why waste your life trying to figure out why this happened or that happened or why you are gay or why a certain thing has to happen to you. I believe you are who you are for a reason and that everything happens for a reason. This is just what I believe.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a balance between the first two. For example, there is some evidence that could prove a genetic tendency, but the number of gay guys who don't have a strong male influence during childhood (either because their fathers aren't there or because they don't care) is notorious...

7. simianuprising

"There is no biological, hormonal, or genetic evidence to substantiate this claim. There has never been confirmed evidence of the existence of a "homosexual gene." Doctors have NO test which will tell them if a person is a homosexual or not. The idea of people being born homosexual is a myth developed by the media and the homosexual movement in order to receive sympathy and acceptance. Studies from universities such as, John Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Albert Einstein School of Medicine point to environmental factors as major cause of homosexuality. Specifically, a child’s perception of family dynamics, a traumatized condition such as, rape, abuse or other traumatic events may cause gender identity conflict.Despite the official position of the APA duly confirmed by a membership vote, a significant number of psychiatrists did not agree with it. A survey taken four years after the APA decision by the journal Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality found that 69% of responding psychiatrists agreed that, “homosexuality is usually a pathological adaptation, as opposed to a normal variation.

8. Red87

I feel its either genetic or a result of the environment around me.

9. Cloud Nine 5

I hate the chemical imbalance reasoning. Makes us sound abnormal and you all claim we're not, right?

I really think it's a mental thing. It varies with different people, some didn't have a father, some had a weak one, some just had a much better relationship with the mother, some were bullied or for some other reason didn't feel masculine enough growing upso they want males to love them, etc. It makes sense with the people I know. In my case I am not close to my father and I never really was.

10. xequar

And see, I'll completely counterbalance that, since I had a very close relationship with both of my parents, and I have a lot of great memories from childhood of my Dad and I doing stuff together. I mean, to this day, my Dad and I still very close.

Personally, I think its an inherent inborn thing, whether via genetics or some other factor. I've come to realize that I was never attracted to girls and never really had any interest in them, even though I didn't understand it at the time, and my mom has gone on the record as saying she knew I was gay when I was 12 years old. I didn't know I was gay at 12 years old, and yet she did, so as far as I'm concerned, there is obviously some inborn factor there.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am wondering what your motive is for being here. First in another thread you acuse all homosexuals as being bigots and now you make statements like this? There is significant evidence that homosexuality is inborn. It is NOT a traumatized condition caused by rape, abuse or other traumatic events. I know alot of gays who grew up in loving family homes just like my son did.

Here is a compilation of much of the research:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/08/14/what_makes_people_gay/?page=1

12. Cloud Nine 5

Yeah but like I said, if it really is mental then it varies with people. Not everyone is gay for the same reason.

I don't think the chemical imbalance or whatever tells you to love Madonna and gossip and celebrity (not that I like any of that). I'd rather think it's inborn though and not something that people I don't like anyway turned me into. Not that I still hate it that much but it's not that great.

13. xequar

Forgive me, as I'm not trying to be difficult, but "love Madonna?" If you're referring to the stereotype, remember that it's just that-a stereotype. I would assert that more straight guys like Madonna and Backstreet Boys than we could ever guess, but we'll never know it because they will desperately hide that rather than risk being labeled as gay. By contrast, I think most openly gay people don't terribly care at that point, and so they don't hide stuff like that. But, that's just my theory.

Btw, BeckyG, we all love you! You're awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

14. davo-man

I think different ppl are gay because of different things...I think people can question their sexuality and even gender after rape or molestation (but i havent had any personal experience so i may be wrong), and others are just born gay...Its like saying why are some people impatient or confident or lazy or apathetic or left handed...People are just bornn with those inbuilt personality traits and like that, i think most gay people are just born that way

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you! (&&&) I love you guys too!

16. simianuprising

#16 simianuprising, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  18. simianuprising

"leftist" was the wrong word for me to use. My bad.

19. davo-man

Thanx beckyg...that was an interesting read on the CBS website

20. CrimsonThunder

And your thought on the article?