1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first gay wedding!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jul 26, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Last night I was invited to the wedding of my friends Beki and Tina. Tina came to PFLAG when she first came out totally devastated and lost. She had just came out to her fundamentalist preacher husband. She was worried about her 3 children. Her husband was making life hell for her. She eventually got a divorce and found Beki via a man named Craig. (lol - AKA Craigslist) Beki had been through her own struggles. She was a former Jehovah's Witness! Beki was disowned by everyone in her family except for her brother who was at the ceremony last night. Beki's three children are not allowed to have anything to do with her because of their Jehovah's Witness upbringing. They really just have a heartbreaking story. They both came and shared it at a PFLAG meeting a few months ago. They had the room in tears.

Beki and Tina do have a happy ever after. They fell in love and took advantage of Oregon's domestic partnership law back in November. They were #77 in their county. They said it all seemed so non-monumental. They wanted to have a real ceremony celebrating their love. They decided on a "Jumpin' the Broom" ceremony which I was invited to last night. "Jumpin the Broom" is a tradition that was practiced in Ireland when a priest was unavailable to perform nuptials. It was also used in American history by slaves when it was illegal for them to marry. The jumping of the broom is to signify a jump into a new life and relationship. Cool, huh?

They both introduced their family that was there. Beki introduced her brother and Tina introduced her Dad and his partner. Tina's Dad was very supportive in her coming out. She cried when thanking him for his support.

Well we all signed ribbons with our blessings which were tied to the broom. Beki and Tina each read what they had written about their relationship. Beki read a beautiful poem. She was crying. We were crying. I'm telling you this was the most beautiful wedding I have ever attended. When they were done, they held hands and jumped over the broom that was held by Tina's Dad and Beki's brother with the blessings we had written them. I LOVED IT! I'm crying now remembering it all last night.

One thing that Tina said really resonated with me. She said that she had never believed in reincarnation before but she truly believes that she and Beki loved eachother before. Their love was that strong and that powerful that there is no other explanation. I totally believe in soulmates. I'm so happy that they get to share their life together and one day, they WILL have marriage.

2. GhostDog

Awwww.

Just... awwww.

Awwww.

(No, no coherence from me. Just awww.)

It sucks that both of their families gave them a hard time about it, but at least they get their happily ever after. =D

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so great that they found one another, I wish them all the best. :slight_smile: Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Just reading your description of their ceremony filled me with happiness.

4. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    awww that was so nice to read i hope there happy sound's like they will be

5. silentsound

aww that's such a sweet story I am so happy for them

6. Mickey

That was a beautiful story! I wish them the best. It's sad about their families and kids,though.

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never heard of a 'Jumping the Broom' cerrimony before, and Ireland's really close to me XD I guess we keep ourselves to ourselves, the only thing they share is beer XD

That sounded like such a beautiful day, I can honestly say that I want to incorporate something as unique and special like that in my wedding day.

Aww, lovely story, thanks so much for sharing! :grin:

9. Glunn11

That story is absolutely beautiful, becky! It's great to hear such great happy endings.

10. 71390S

71390S Guest

Lmfao!

And yes...awesome, awesome love story!

11. EM68

That is a nice story Becky. I got chills reading it. Hopefully she can she her kids soon. I know it can be hard with Jehovah's Witnesses. My grandparents on my dad's side where Jo Ho's. They both passed away becasue of their beliefs.

12. Alex19

good for them! im so happy!

13. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

:slight_smile: awwe, such a sweet story and great way to celebrate the love between two people.