1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You are What You Hate.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by simianuprising, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simianuprising

After hearing what most right-wing bigots have to say about homosexuals & hearing the LGBT community respond brings one thought to mind: HOMOSEXUALS ARE COMPLETE BIGOTS. We dismiss everything that isn't in our favor as "factually wrong" without any credible scientific evidence. It just makes me sad how hypocritical we all our. In the LGBT community there is this "your with us or against us" mentality & I for one am sick of it. Im not bashing on homosexuals here so please don't get the wrong idea. All I am saying is that we come across as huge bigots & its really not helping us.

#1 simianuprising, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Well im kinda hypicrtical, btw wats bigot?

3. GuitarGirl1350

So, yeah, I suppose we just call for a giant fucking reform of all of us then? Since we're all the same.
    You sound like you have a real attitude problem, and if you do have a problem, don't hang out with us.
    We're here for you if you need advice or friends, but don't come here and call us all hypocrites. It won't make you liked.
    I'm not attacking you so don't think that. Just giving you some advice, to make your stay with us more pleasant for all involved.

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

:***: Yer stop being so stereotypical:tantrum: :bang: :slight_smile:

5. Kimi

bigot is someone who has such strong opinions about race, religion, or politics that they are unwilling to listen to anyone else's opinions:icon_wink

In my opinion, there are SOME people who I think is hypocritical, BUT not all of us.
    And I never really felt "your with us or against us" mentality...well let's say, yet.

6. GuitarGirl1350

(addition to last post)
    Why don't you, in an informed and calm manner, present your facts and findings as to why we "dismiss things not in our favour without scientific evidence"? Instead of just stating it and expecting us to believe it?

7. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it seems dangerous for "relationships" (online or in person) to make sweeping judgments of a group of people, be it gay, black, etc. Yes, there are huge bigots within the GLBT community, but so are there in the heterosexual community, in the white community, in the black community, in the women community, in the men community, and in every other community that exists.

8. SpikySpice

As you said there are some people are bigots or, but dont take an individual and throw the whole freaking blanket on the whole community

9. 24601

I agree 100%. Your posts make huge blanket statements and generalizations that apply to maybe a small percentage of the LGBT population. Honestly, the thoughts and statements of a few radical and outspoken individuals, surprisingly enough, does not reflect the mindset of the entire community.

10. xequar

To start, I'm borrowing the definition of bigot from dictionary.com, to ensure the proper context for this conversation.

Now, I am genuinely curious to see why you believe that the bulk of the GLBT community is hypocritical. You mention that we dismiss various arguments without scientific evidence, which is the only supporting argument you make in your opening post. For the record, the science on homosexuality is almost non-existent to date, with Alfred Kinsey's research in the 1940s still being held as the "gold standard" of research into sexuality. Allow me to repeat that. The 1940s, hardly current if you ask me, but only now are scientists really beginning to revisit the question of sexuality with studies like the one recently featured on CNN where they are using lights to discern differences between members of various genders and sexualities.

To address your comment of
    all I can really say, since you provide no examples or other evidence to support your statement, is that I disagree. In my view, the GLBT community, in general, is one of the shining examples of inclusiveness in society. Of course, as with any generalization, individuals are ultimately responsible for upholding or changing whatever reputation their group has, but I would assert that the GLBT community is far more accepting of various religions, political standpoints, and other major issues of the day than the bulk of society. On these boards, for example, there are people of all make and manner of religion and spiritual belief, and with only rare exceptions, we all are accepting of other viewpoints and others' rights to hold those viewpoints.

And now, I'll directly address your use of the word "bigot." I urge you to attempt to demonstrate how the GLBT community is bigoted. Like I said before, these boards and people that I've met in person have demonstrated an ability surpassing most others I've ever met to be accepting of various creeds, races, and the like. The one opinion where you might have the basis for an argument is that, in general, the community reacts very negatively to the assertation that homosexuality is a choice. However, the experiences of the vast overwhelming majority of people here on these boards and those I've met in person are all directly in conflict with homosexuality being a choice, and these new studies, like the walking light study I mentioned previously, seem to be preliminarily supporting the position that homosexuality is NOT a choice. Indeed, even my own personal experience is enough to convince me that homosexuality is NOT a choice, given that I spent the better part of ten years trying to fight it, only to finally accept what was true all along and start to live the life that I wish I would have embraced years ago.

Quoted for truth. If you, simianuprising, are going to come onto these boards with an attitude problem and make wild accusations and blanket statements disparaging the community here, you'd better be damned sure you know what you're talking about and have something with which to back your statements. Otherwise, rather than encouraging intelligent conversation, you're going to feel a lot of backlash as the community ostracizes you.

11. Cloud Nine 5

Yeah, I doubt you're really gay.

12. davo-man

I just have to say that was a very well thought out and well said counter argument/post xeguar...interesting to read

And Simianuprising, if you're not "bashing on homosexuals" then its prob better if you don't pay out the gay community by yelling (or at least writing in caps which is the equivalent) "HOMOSEXUALS ARE COMPLETE BIGOTS"

You're entitled to your opinion, but at least back it up with one iota of fact

13. simianuprising

"This statistic is based on a study conducted in 1948 by Dr. Alfred Kinsey. Kinsey's numbers are sited by numerous pro-homosexuals and even used by a sex education program called Project 10. Kinsey reported that 10% of white males between the ages of 15 and 65 have been more or less exclusively homosexual for at least three years at some point in there lifetime. Most researchers now say that these numbers are greatly inflated. Dr. Judith Reisman and Edward Eichel have written a book showing the fallacy of the Kinsey study entitled Kinsey, Sex, and Fraud. They point out that Kinley’s study group was made up of 20%-25% people with prison experience and 5% male prostitutes. This is by no stretch of the imagination an accurate cross sample. In addition, many of the interviewees, from which data was gathered were biased. Most recent studies have the homosexual population between 1%-3% of the U.S. population. Homosexual leaders now admit that they knowingly exploited the inaccurate 10% myth in order to impose their lifestyle upon the American people. Tom Stoddard, a militant leader in the homosexual movement, told Newsweek in February 1993, "We used that figure when most gay people were entirely hidden to try to create an impression of our numerousness"

Yes, I am gay. I have read the arguments for both sides & formed my own opinion. Im sorry but being gay isn't all that wonderful & im sorry im not so quick to defend it.

14. davo-man

I'm not disputing your evidence in italics, but am just wondering where you are getting it from. In a discussion like this, its probably more helpful to put sources.

Okay i can understand that you're not all that happy with being gay, but simmply paying us out and calling us bigots is basically like being a minority who is prejudice against their own minority...Its just not making sense to me.

15. GuitarGirl1350

Simian:
    Please quote your sources, it makes it so much easier to debate.

1. What do the numbers have anything to do with your claims of homosexuals being "bigots"? That's what this thread was started with, and that's what the flow has been. Don't throw in a bunch of numbers and expect the silly gays to be distracted for ages.

2. Since it appears we are talking about numbers, you might want to re-read that last sentence which states, "We used that number when most gay people were hidden." They inflated it, and it happens with any statistic. If you listen to a pro-gay group, the number will be higher, if you read an anti-gay statistic, it's likely to be lower. It's used for shock value. Again, I don't know where you got your information.

3. Because you read one article stating that a select group were trying to "impose their lifestyle upon the American people" does not mean we all are, the majority of us aren't. And, furthermore, it does not give you license to make blanket statements about how huge bigots and hypocrites we are. Your data is also 15 years outdated, buddy- that interview is from 1993. It's 2007.

4. To not come off as a complete bitch, I will say this: it saddens me to think that you place so much emphasis on being gay. It is not your entire identity, it is only a fragment of who you are. Unfortunately, you aren't putting yourself on display as a person of fun or kind personality, but I'm hoping that you will come to accept yourself and love that part of you which you hate. I hate to see anyone, even someone who offends me and my community, with this bad a case of internalised homophobia.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am very much saddened too that somebody could think so lowly of themselves. It's almost like you need to blame somebody for being gay so you take this information from sources that support your theory that somebody maybe abusing you or neglecting you made you this way. I'm guessing and correct me if I'm wrong, that you got this information from NARTH. Narth is a group of about 1000 therapists who promote reparative therapy. All major medical, psycholigical, psychiatric, and pediatric associations are opposed to this and say it is unethical. They have alot of misinformation on their website and I've seen many opponents to homosexuality use it.

17. simianuprising

This one part of myself has killed the rest of me.

18. GuitarGirl1350

I'm sorry to hear that.
    I don't know your specific circumstances, but if you aren't prepared to embrace that part of yourself, there isn't much anyone else can do. You need to love yourself, and as I said before, it saddens me to see such a case of internal homophobia.
    Why do you feel that this part of you killed the rest?

19. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    simian, you are not alone. You really aren't. Don't give up. (*hug*)

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Have you considered seeing a therapist about this? You have got to look past being gay and find some things to love about yourself. You have to do this before you can accept the gay part. Why don't you tell us about yourself. Let us know you a little better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.