1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many people's family read?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Étoile

The 'How many people read?' thread got me interested in this.

I've NEVER seen my parents pick up a book for entertainment purposes, ever. My mom only reads the newspaper and magazines. Maybe that's why there's no pressure for me to read more books. My sister reads occassionally; when she does start to read, she never puts it down.

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everybody in my household reads, with the exception of my little brother and my step dad. My mom engrained a love for reading in all of us at a very young age, and she values literacy as if it were gold (as do I).

3. GhostDog

My dad reads when he has time, which isn't often. My mom reads when she isn't having migraines or neck problems, which isn't often (but she does love audio books!). My middle brother reads, I think? But my littlest brother doesn't read at all. He has to be hounded to even do his reading for English class. >:|

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother's a book dealer and a fairly well-known collector of antiquarian children's literature (in the sense that collectors of antiquarian children's literature are well-known). I've been surrounded by books all my life.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents both read, although I think I read more than either of them. My father tends to have a book next to his bed, which he reads when he's trying to get to sleep (or fighting insomnia). My mother tends to read very specific books. For instance, she's working on a "inclusiveness" group with her church, so she's reading books about growing up gay and Christian.

Lex

6. Bryan44

My mom reads all the time. She drives me crazy how much she reads. Plus she reads really fast, she has read like 5 books in one day. My dad doesnt read that much unless its a sports magazine..

7. mattypants

parents can read :eek:

after we became proficient in literacy... books became optional

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

Big readers in this house. When I was little my parents would read to us every night, and when the story was over had us kiss the back of the book goodnight.

awwwwwwwwwwwww.

9. Étoile

Wish my parents were like that. My mom claims she used to read to me, but I have no memory of it.

mattypants, that seems to be the case in my house. LOL My mom actually hates taking me to the library. She tries to find all types of reasons to get out of it. Bibliophobe!

10. leonardo1145

leonardo1145 Guest

everyone in my house reads except for my stepdad.
    even my 3 year old brother reads haha :grin:

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, both my parents and myself are all avid readers. My brother rarely picks up a book, though.
    Reading style differs. At top speed, I can finish most books in a day (excepting the very big ones), but my mom takes quite some time for a book. My dad could vary depending on how many time and how many books he had left.

I think we have more books at home than a small library too, because none of us likes to part with books. And we're all very careful with them. Most books still look as if they've never been touched.

12. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my mum complains that she never has the time to read a book, which is NOT true because then she goes off and watches tv... she often reads newspapers and news magazines like The Week. my dad is exactly the same, but has read the entire Dune series multiple times!!! i used to be a complete and utter bookworm, walking around everywhere with a book in my hand - using my peripheral vision so i don't crash into anything! but now i 'don't have enough time' like my parents, and spend my time doing pointless things like going on EC...

only joking, EC is cool, but i end up spending hours and hours on the computer going on various websites like Pretty pink pearl and DailyOM and Facebook... etc. so it now takes me ages to actually get through a book from cover to cover.

13. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i know this has nothing to do with the thread but ... are you christian?

14. Gumtree

All of us are bookworms!

All 5 of my siblings (and all their partners) plus my parents!

It's not uncommon during around Christmas time (when everyone is together) to have our entire family just reading.

15. shorty

I can't recall seeing anyone in my family reading a book. Which actually seems quite odd now that I think about it. I love to read, but I seem to go through stages of abstinence and then doing it too much. I think I might have to add OCD to my list of problems. :slight_smile:

16. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad very rarely reads, but my mum will occasionally. She has read all the Harry Potter books, and likes reading autobiographies of celebrities that she likes (such as Sharon Osborne). I have read the Harry Potter books and a few Goosebumps, but that's about it! I have ordered Jeremy Kyle's autobiography so I shall read that once it arrives. :grin:

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my family reads, including me. Currently I'm reading 'The Expected One' by Kathleen McGowan, which is about Mary Magdalene. :slight_smile:

18. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother and my sister read ridiculous amounts. I do but it take me ages to read them unless I reeeally get into the book [like the pagan book I'm reading I've been reading since last year but I'm not enjoying it so much because the writer is pretentious. But I read Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries in a day.]

19. Just Adam

my family read well my grandparent read papers and gardening stuff but i love a good book i can usually d0 about umm 700 pages in 2 days i think im a bit out of practice.

20. Étoile

Can I ask how you guys finish a book or read so many pages in a day? It's impossible for me to read so much in a short time period when there's family, friends, bodily needs, and other entertainment to tend to. I also stop and think about what I read in between paragraphs and create little scenarios in my head. Do you guys shut yourselves in the house and ignore your family and friends all day? LOL I want in on the secret!