1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by George1, Jul 23, 2007.

1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone know here why it is that gays are always called pedophiles by those people from the stone ages?
    I recently had a friend of mine continually harassed about being a "pedophile" just because he happened to be gay. (he isn't one by the way)

So would anyone know how on earth this stupid misconception came into being?

:bang:

2. Level N Human

Greek pederasty? (shrug) Who knows, some people make dumb assumptions - like consider homosexuality a perverted behavior and then assume that homosexuals and bisexuals likewise partake in all perverted behaviors.

3. CrimsonThunder

You're guess is as good as mine. It sure does suck.

Its just like all straight guys can't be pedophiles and women can't be pedophiles either. ;P

4. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My opinion - the misconception comes from the Bible. The passages which state homosexuality are wrong are really discussing the abuse of a person sexually violating a person of the same sex. For most people, they do not separate these two things out. The Bible condemns "homosexual pedophiles" (just as it condemns heterosexual or female pedophiles), but it does not equate being homosexual with being a pedophile. In my opinion, it is a very naive, insensitive misconception.

5. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They are benighted imbeciles?

They take their moral instruction from a book written by semi-literate goat herders and insane cult leaders?

6. careandrespect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    inthecloset,

I can only guess. It is just society's way of finding a group that they do not completely understand and placing all of the blame on it for the evil in the world. I agree with all of you it certainly does stink.

careandrespect

7. godfather

godfather Guest

i agree wit this and it is completely stupid!! i have no idea!!:confused:

8. Sam

Sam

I think people just assume that gay people like messing with kids I don't know why and its completely stupid to think that. a few bad people can make everybody who is gay look bad.

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *sigh* It's so annoying... >_> Why do we, many thousands years later, need to follow a rotting, decayed old book of which people continually misconcept... o(@.@)o I felt like ripping out my hair today when I was called "unnatural"... But on the basis of religion.

10. CrimsonThunder

lol those religious people are stupid... Seiriously if they thought for a second they'd realise something.

If God dislikes homosexuals and didn't want them, why would he create them? something he doesn't love. Would a couple have a baby if they didn't want it? Nope. =P

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm sorry this happened to you. People pick and choose their Bible verses to support their own biases.

12. Cloud Nine 5

Because that's the best response they can come up with to those that say gay people aren't sick, that pedophiles like kids the same way people like their own sex. It's bs though cause being gay doesn't hurt the person you're with.

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think some of it has to do with the notion that people can be converted and that gay people can't reproduce so we have to convert "innocent/pure" people to persist as a "species." Now, there is so much wrong with all of that that I wouldn't know where to start but my impression is that it's related.

Plus modern childhood is all (erroneously) tied up in these insane notions of sexual innocence, and being gay is often seen as something purely sexual, and completely sexually corrupt. And those who are corrupt want nothing more than to spread such corruption, right? And so who are the most "delectable" targets for those who wish to corrupt? Those who are the least corrupt, the most innocent... children!

Again, there's so many insane things wrong with that kind of thought process... but then, most people aren't really known for their critical thinking skills.

14. CelebrityHead

Exactly! This is what gets me fired up aswell! I mean, what happened to the bit in the bible about 'love thy neighbour'? But then if you said that to a christian, they'd say, "I don't believe in Matthew 34:8" (or whatever it is). It's fair enough if people choose to believe in the Bible and take comfort in its teachings, but supporting their biases with random sentences from the Bible and disregarding other verses is just plain hypocrisy.

I'm not religious, I never have been. I take my hat off to those who endeavour to be a better human being by learning life lessons from the Bible. But when the teachings of the Bible fuel its readers' prejudices, I'm forced to question the morals that it's actually passing onto its readers.

15. Levi

Levi Guest

I would claim that supporting biases by quoting the bible is always wrong.. consistent or not.

Why? (serious question)

16. Ty

Ty Guest

I, myself was raised as a catholic, but as soon as i got to the age where i could form my own decisions, i decided against religion and by my own logic, found there to be no God.

17. Steam Giant

I think the notion of gays being pedophiles comes from the "fact" that most pedophiles are homosexual, but I believe the people presenting these facts are simply conveniently ignoring the heterosexual pedophiles, whether subconsciously or deliberately, in an attempt at coupling homosexuality and pedophilia.

18. pirateninja

I'm not saying that religion is bad, I'm not against it, because their is nothing wrong with all the basis of all religions which is "be a good person", and having faith in something isn't wrong. I'm honestly not sure about anything, I don't know if there is a spiritual deity of any kind that judges us or not, but some people see the need to take it too far, and I don't see what the point is. They say they're sticking to old traditions listed in the bible, but we as a species have changed, for the better or not, but we have changed since they wrote those passages.

What gets me most is homophobic christians claiming that "Jesus hates fags". Strangely enough there is nothing in the bible where Jesus says "I hate homosexuals. Homosexuality is a sin". Whether or not he was going to make a speech on his veiw of homosexuality after Easter we shall never know.

19. Levi

Levi Guest

I though the basis of all religion was submission to a higher power. "be a good person" would be the basis of many philosophies, religiously motivated or not.

20. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i think joeyconnick hit the nail on the head with some of his theories.

re: religion supporting homophobia: i'm actually a christian. my belief is that the bible has some good ideas in it, but seeing as some of its writers were illiterate goatherders (Lol) just trying to spread their own agendas, it can't all be taken seriously. the point is to have your own conscience and your own judgement. therefore u look at "love thy neighbour" and think: "yes, that sounds like a good action that a loving god would promote, i'll try to follow it" and u look at homophobic passages and think "hang on a second? does this make any sense? i smell illiterate goat-herder... this isn't what god wants". that's how i think people ought to look at the bible. but sadly many people don't. they're weak willed and sheep-like and don't actually have their own moral fibre, so they just follow every letter :icon_sad: