1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to recognize a gay teen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Peter, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Peter

Apparently it is getting more difficult to recognize who is a gay teen than previously (see LGBT News and USA Today article).
    Just wondering about reactions to this article... do you agree? I found it rather encouraging that people are rejecting labels and are willing to try different things.

2. Markio

It's always been hard to recognize gay teens, considering how people have to come out in the first place. :rolleyes: The article seems to point to the opposite, how more heterosexual individuals admit to same-sex encounters but self-define as just heterosexual.

I'd like to believe that trying different things would lead to less homophobia, but there are plenty of politicians, closeted or otherwise, who "try different things" and yet still push for anti-gay legislation. Although at the teenage level, you may be on to something. :grin:

I'm not sure how reliable or "in-depth" a newspaper like USA Today is, but in any case...

3. 507bro

yeah because most people who are gay are not stereotypical
    flamboyant. it funny how my family cousins, aunt and uncle
    haven't found out, even tho they can point out who is gay on
    streets and tv XD

4. Just Adam

harder to spot...depends where you look... i think people who look for stereotypes are gonna be missing like 75% of lgbt people even mroe probably

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I agree it depends where you look cause when i've been on vacation i've seen obvious in your face gay teens

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I agree I think its because theres a lot more cultures and everything now a days than it used to be .

7. Greggers

It SHOULD be near impossible to look at a group of teens and pluck out the gay ones.

Unless you see two men doing it while also confessing there love for each other while hooked up to a lie detector, what else are you going to go on?

"Hes wearing a pink shirt. Gay."
    "He has a sports jearsy on. Straight."
    "She has short hair. Gay."
    "Shes got too much makeup on. Straight."

Yea...not exactly. Those traights have nothing to do with someones sexuality. People judge sexuality based on things "commonly linked to a person sexuality" but thats ALWAYS going to be hit and miss at best.

I think with more and more younger people embracing this everyone is finding its ok to be yourself and not this carbon copy of your gender. Girls who are more butch may show it and not be afraid of getting called a dyke. Guys who are more metro may show it and not be afraid of getting called a faggot. This helps everyone in the end because it crushes the main reason of homophobia - a separation between straight and gay people.

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

^ Yea! Gender freedom for everyone is good.

9. Just Adam

when he says he loves him id see the needle goign haywire and id shout hey mate hes lieing to you

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't find that suprising at all. :/
    With the advent of metrosexuality, emoism and the like many more guys are being more uh.. Feminine and many more girls are being uh.. Masculine. >_>

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think for every flamboyant gay, there's one who doesn't raise much, if any, suspicion (so called 'straight acting'). Yet this demographic goes largely ignored (even by GLBT folks) because it's virtually invisible, even though it's forever been with us. Likewise, not every straight guy is uber macho, play football, watch baseball at the bar drinking beer, and talking about replacing carburetor types; and not every straight woman is high heels, super makeup, lets go shopping with 'the girls'.

Re: Gender stereotypes. Funny story I heard on the bus today. The driver was talking about how she was wishing she had worn her ball cap today because of the weather, but didn't because yesterday she did and someone greeted her with "Good morning sir". "That's ma'am!"

She's married to a man. Maybe not the definition of femininity, but not really super butch.

12. Peter

Actually, I think that for every flamboyant gay, there are at least a hundred innocuous ones...

13. Charme

Charme Guest

lol yes to this!

14. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i know loads of people who seem 'straight' but are gay or bi or experimental or not really picky

15. silentsound

I think it's interesting. Seems to me like it's a sign of the times changing. At least in my experience, the people who come out earlier are the more flaming types, while the slightly more muted personalities who fill non-stereotypically "gay" roles are more likely to stay quiet for longer. This suggests that perhaps the latter group is becoming more likely to come out at an earlier age, which is always a good sign of their perception of acceptance in their hometown.

16. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's good news. You don't need to know if they don't want you to know.

17. Thanos

Ya if you saw me on the street I wood be the last guy you wood think is gay ppl don't think the guy play stair way to heaven and singing it in klingon is gay enlls there my age then thay do but that's when thay meen that's dumb and say that's gay 13 yearold boys don't like good music at all and singing it in Klingon dusnt help but I'm geting of topic

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Indeed. Though I know of a few flamboyant guys that came out later, as in "they were out to everyone but themselves", or "Well duh"

I think it might be that the more muted types would look around, and see gay means flamboyant, and they'd think "Hmm, I like guys, but I have no interest in shoes or Cher. Best to keep quiet while I figure things out." But now people are realizing that gay people are more varied and normal (personality wise).

19. ChopinFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't that scare the crap out of you? My friends will casually talk about other friends and other people they think are gay at our school while I sit there awkwardly :icon_redf in a state of silent panic wondering, "What the hell do they say about me when I'm not there?!?!?!"

20. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I know exactly what you mean... but I'm more concerned with them not portraying things accurately, or spreading lies/rumors.