1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overmedication of children (antidepressants and ADHD)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a wonderful article/video discussing overmedication of children and teens with antidepressants and ritalin/adderal. It talks about it in the context of its influence on kids as they grow older, as well as the impact on the health care system. I found it very interesting and it also happens to match my views. Be interested to see what others think.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-tv/arianna-discusses-the-abu_b_255183.html

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I agree. When it comes down to it our country is lazy. We look for the quick way out or the shortest route. What bothers me about medicating kids is that most of the time, children who do need the medication dont get therapy or training on how to deal with these emotions. With every perscription of a drug that minipulates the way we think or act, should come psychological therapy so the person can function later in life without those medications if possible, but money talks and just like cigarrett companies, the longer they stay addicted or use, the more money we make.

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard about some of the practises you Americans undertake for medication.. And I must say it's very scary.
    Here we do have a lot of medications for different things, but medication is generally only given for children if it's the only viable solution.