1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism - starting a blog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,
    So I am wanting to start a blog or vlog about what it's like living with autism. There are so many books and such written by doctors and people on the outside, but there aren't enough things about personal experiences with autism. I'm high functioning with Asperger's Syndrome. But how could I go about this, I really am not sure how I could do it and make sure people will see it because I think a lot of people such as parents could REALLY benefit from it. Any ideas?
    Sean

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

One of my good friends and exboyfriends has Aspergers Syndrome, although it isn't very obvious unless he tells you.

I find autism to be a fascinating disorder of the mind, and all I think you need to do is just talk about your daily life.

3. Cracked Actor

4. Gurds101

its free and easy to use blogspot.com When I was out of the country I used blogspot and it worked well. As for making sure people see it, I guess you just have to make it really interesting. :slight_smile: Good luck, I look forward to reading it.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is a terrific idea, the world needs a book/blog/vlog/whatever from a person living with autism as opposed to a doctor's notes on the matter. Go for it. I am interested in learning more about autism, and judging from all the media attention it has received lately I'd say many more people are as well. Good luck with it, and be sure and post up a link if you could. :slight_smile:

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's aspergurs not autism

Related but it's not the same thing at all.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jack they are similar, and they're on the same spectrum. Don't say anything if you have nothing good to say okay? And by the way, it's Asperger's jerk, not Aspergurs.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As someone with mild Asperger's, I'd definitely read and comment on this blog. One thing that would certainly be interesting is posts comparing how you see certain parts of the world versus how the people around you seem to see it. This is could range from politics to social issues to simple issues of etiquette. Intelligent people are always looking for alternative viewpoints on the world. I hope you post a link to this blog/vlog when you make it.

Edit: Like Gurds, I also recommend blogspot if you do a blog. It's simple to use and gives you a good amount of control over the layout of your blog. I use it for my own blog, and I find it to be easy to use and very accessible.

#8 Owen, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's still not the exact same. If you're high functioning, which I am assuming, then it really isn't much different from a person without it.

And saying it is the same as "autism" itself, is like calling an orange a grapefruit. Just call it what it is.

#9 Jack2009, Aug 14, 2009
  10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Aspergers is a mild form of autism. It's in the same classification of "autism-spectrum disorders" under the DSM-IV manual.

Read up on aspergers syndome. There are a LOT of social issues that people with the disease have.

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not a disease.

#11 Jack2009, Aug 14, 2009
  12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Whatever you would like to call it then.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jack's right that it's not a disease, it's a disability. But still Swamp's speaking a lot more sense than you Jack. If you're going to attack me for saying I'm not autistic, then do research. You'll see I am autistic because of exactly what Swamp said, Asperger's is a mild form of Autism. I did an entire paper on the differences and got an 83 on it (only because I actually didn't put as much of my own experience into the paper (go figure lol)).

14. hoping

I have high functioning autism and aspergers is just a different way of discribing it, it depends who you talk to. People say aspergers now cause they think its less restricting than autism.
    Since its all on the autistic spectrum, you can really categorise things easily.
    To say you cant say your autistic cause your high functioning is bullshit.
    We think differently and understand the world differently than non autistic people.
    It doesnt mean we have a disease and i think saying we have a disbility is not right either, we are what we are, its a part of us, it gives us a different understanding of the world and how we relate to the world and even though there are many ignorant people in the world doesnt make us any less human

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I interchange disease with disorder btw; idk why.

How about we go all serious and call it a Neuropsychological disability XD .

There's this ph.D.-holding professor/researcher that has Autism and she wrote a paper on how she thinks in relation to how non-human animals think (specifically in regard to thinking in pictures). It was an interesting read actually ^^ .

16. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  17. fallendream

pm me or wall message me and ill help you build up a site.

18. Emile

Emile Guest

Woah this is so interresting! I'll read your blog! :slight_smile:

19. Lacan

Without any credibility as a mental health professional, but just as someone who's spent a lot of time thinking about the human psyche and its multiple presentations, I think it's ideological and wrong to think of Asperger's or autism as a "disorder." Different ways of thinking and engaging with the world and other humans should never be stigmatized as "other" just because they don't jive with predominant narratives of human function. I'm thrilled that revan is starting a site to express the manner in which he experiences social reality. Just cause it's different that most people doesn't mean it should be treated as a deleterious social anomaly. The LGBT community should get this more than most.

In any case, kudos to revan, and I am also willing to help out any way I can, although my knowledge of html/java amounts to "let's try this and hit preview and hope it works."

20. fallendream

hahaha! well i don't know about java so perhaps you're a better candidate.

i sort of disagree; they label it as disorder because it's not the norm. the norm is found by what the majority is like. if the majority liked toast then those who only eat bread would be 'other' or be assumed to have a disorder.

a disorder is in no way bad; just not what most have.

also; would you like me to start work on it now for you to judge whether you want to use me? (ach i make it sound like im some kind of app)