1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check out this cool new GLBT online high school!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.glbtqonlinehighschool.com/

Apparently they are just starting up (first students in early 2010). Seems to be a nonprofit organization set up in minnesota, and they're either directly accredited or are working through a school that is accredited, because they guarantee acceptance of their degree by colleges and universities.

The program looks really cool! A little pricey, but they say they have some financial aid available, and I really like that they are planning on doing online sociallization activities for their students.

But... what do y'all think about (a) an online high school in general, and (b) an online school that separates GLBT youth from other youth? They address this on their site, but I'm curious to hear opinions here.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay WOW this is cool cuz like in Rainbow Road they opened a GLBTQ high school in California. I dunno I just think this idea too is cool...too bad I'm in University now...

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like these schools.. It's hipporcritical. This promotes segregation and whatnot, plus either way, without straight people in high school who will we use to give fashion advice to?

Also, this thread belongs in Entertainment and Technology or
    LGBT News, Rights, Issues and Equality.

4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you read their position statement that directly addressed that issue? Not saying I disagree, but I thought their point was an interesting one.

I would disagree. It's not about technology, it's about an educational program, so it doesn't belong in E&T. And it's not really an issue of rights or GLBT news, either. That's why I posted it here.

5. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure how I feel. on one side it allows for a safe environment for people to not have to worry about being judged because of their sexual orientation.

On the other hand I don't think creating a program for education that separates based on sexual orientation is really a good idea and will really only make things worse.

6. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    not a good idea
    i can jsut see it a the replublicans plan of " getting all those gays into one area so we can nuke em " plan

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Still, even if they state that it's to stop discrmination and all that stuff, creating schools like this is not the way to go about eradicating homophobia.
    This will probably provoke the issue more, as people might start to get the idea that gays require to go to 'special' schools to help them with their 'problem'.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's about an online school course, which falls under technology, and it's about a school to tackle LGBT discrimination, which goes under rights discussion.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err note the topic title:

"GLBT Online School. >_>

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I think it sounds like a good idea my opinion would probably be different if it was a real high school cause i wouldn't like the seperation

10. Koll

I could see how this looks correct to them, having an 'open' place for everyone.

But then yeah, like someone else said, it could give people the wrong idea. That, quote, they would need a special school for their 'problem'

11. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    theres a flaw with this is, first off say you are at the appriopriate age to attend this online school and want to go BUT your not out at all to you family for fear of any possible negative reaction from them

you wouldn't even be able to suggest going there without them catching on, and you'd prolly end up feeling pretty miserable that other people can go but not you.

As for me, i'm more of a hands on person, if i'm in a learning enviroment it's gotta be a classroom i can't do online class's my mind just wanders off too much if i'm just sitting in front of a computer

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They do say that they provide free counseling and support for people who want to come out to parents (in the hopes that they'll then come to the school as a student.)

[/QUOTE]
    As for me, i'm more of a hands on person, if i'm in a learning enviroment it's gotta be a classroom i can't do online class's my mind just wanders off too much if i'm just sitting in front of a computer[/QUOTE]

That was one of my concerns also. I think gay kids need more interaction with others, not more isolation in front of a computer. It does seem like a great program but I don't really see how it would be different than having a regular online high school with a group of students identified as GLBT who have additional clubs/activities.