1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board or Ski? :O

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gumtree, Aug 21, 2009.

?

Which snow sport do you prefer or are more interested in trying?

1. Skiing

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Snowboarding

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. WTF!? Snow is cold! I'm never going!

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Gumtree

So I just spent the last 10 days in the Snowy Mountains and have noticed that there is heaps of rivalry between skiers and snowboarders and some of the stuff the opposing instructors around the slopes do to each other is hilarious

What do you think?

I have done a few seasons of Skiing and just finished my first of Snowboarding and I'm definitely on the snowboarding side!

If you haven't been to the snow before, what do you think you would prefer to try?

2. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    skis. like sex, 2 is better than 1. (I'm so going to get verbally beat on for that)

3. littledinosaurs

Snowboarding just has a cooler appeal haha.

4. grapevine fires

I'm a skier. I've been doing it since I was six and it's just what I do. It's a hell of a lot easier to learn, and eventually master, but boarding is pretty awesome. I'd love to try it some day, but I haven't found the time.

Most of the snowboarders at the hills I go to are cocky assholes who cut me off frequently and fall like.. right in front of me. I've almost been in a couple accidents because of this. They also tend to take up the entire entrance point to a run when they're doing up their boards, which pisses me off to no end. I've had trouble with them on the lifts too; they all too often cause skiers to fall coming off when their boards stick out.

I don't have BEEF with snowboarders in general, but if you act like an ass on the hill (skier or boarder) I'll have a problem with you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. hiddendc4

Snowboarding FTMFW!!!! lol

Even though I am a boarder I have absolutely now problems with skiers since we are all really just there to enjoy nature and what she provides. I will admit though that some of the snowboarders I have come across can be a pain. I agree with grapevine fires though if you act like an idiot (I don't care what you ride) we will have issues and I will avoid you like the plague lol.

I bet boarding in Australia and New Zealand is awesome, I might have to save up and take a trip next summer lol.

6. Gumtree

Yeah the slopes here are pretty good, NZ is better then Oz IMO though.

I'm not implying anything at all, just putting this out there but... I got hit 7 times by other people over the week I was there, ALL OF THEM SKIERS!

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I voted Skiing since I've done it, altho now that I have I wanna try Snowboarding

8. shireguy

i used to be a skier but when i was 14 i change to board and i found it hell of alot easier than skiing, and with the whole boarder vs skier thing i got along with all snowboarders for 1 to 100 and skiers my age who were aussie but the americans and europeans and middle age skiiers always cut me off and sometimes say how stupid snowboarding is between them in front of me and i'm like "yeah i'm standing right here"

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd much rather be in bed in the warm cuddling up to someone. XD

10. Shevanel

I Voted "WTF the snow is cold" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But that's just a bit of an overreaction xD

I have done both, both sorta scare me since its sorta like surfing but on land, which is stupid because when you fall when you surf, you have a lot less chance of getting hurt when hitting the water. When you fall when you ski or snowboard, you hit snow, or trees, or ice, or other solid things that hurt very much. Also, your feet are very confined to these large contraptions that makes it difficult to walk. Also, the main objective is usually to go downhill, and as I'm afraid of heights, this doesn't exactly work out for me. Snowboarding is sick though, and Skiing ain't half bad.

:grin:

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been snowboarding, so I can't say whether I like or dislike it. I have been skiing before and it is a blast! I loved it and really want to go again, so I voted for skiing.

12. jazzrawr

I'm a boarder. :slight_smile:
    I can't handle skis. My legs get all tangled. XD

13. moirai

Ive gone snowboarding a few times and I thought it was really fun.
    Ive never tried skiing though.

14. hiddendc4

Joey, while I will admit that falling does hurt from time to time (I should know I got a concussion last snow season) as you get better with either one you basically learn to fall in a way that you don't get hurt as much. And walking in snowboarding boots isn't that hard, the skiers do look funny from time to time though while they're walking. Also I don't even notice the elevation changes while I'm boarding.(!)

15. Shevanel

it's still extremely cold. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'd prefer to be shirtless and in water and be hot, than be all covered up and still freezing my ass off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well while I suck horribly at both. I would say I have a slight advantage skiing... though I find snowboarding funner... so I don't know which one to pick

17. hiddendc4

I beg to differ man, mostly because yea being in the water shirtless on a nice day is great you still work up a pretty good sweat while snowboarding lol

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't done either (I haven't even seen snow) but snowboarding sounds like something I'd like to try more than skiing.

19. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Snowboarding, hands down.

20. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

I cannot choose one over the other. I have been downhill skiing since I was about 12 and consider myself to be advanced. I can usually handle most runs that are black diamonds and below. Double blacks scare me. I am talking about runs in the mountains (MN runs are not as hard). In the Marines I was a scout skier. It is a huge adrenaline rush racing down a big mountain.

I am new to snowboarding. I started last year and am looking forward to winter. I am primarily going to snowboard until I get decent at it. The first time I made it down a run without falling I was so happy. I am totally hooked now. I also think clothing for snowboarding is much cooler.