1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

awkward much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ADTR fan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

so the other day at my hockey practice, our coach had asked around for cheers. the dialogue goes something like this:

girl 1: columbia cougars!
    girl 2: JV 09!
    coach: we're not doing that one. its GAY
    girl 3: you can't say that. that's derogatory
    coach: i can say what i want to say. but i'm only kidding about the gay thing.

now maybe it's just me but if you really don't mean it, why say it in the first place? i'm not out to these girls OR the coach, but i think there may be a gay girl on the team, and at least for me it was an awkward situation, because people were laughing. if i don't laugh does it make me defensive, but if i do laugh doesn't that make me a coward and a hypocrite?
    any opinions or similar stories?

2. Shimmi

Shimmi Guest

I really hate when people say "that's so gay". I ve had my gay friends say "that's so straight" and we laugh but hetros get mad. Then we point out what they just said. It reminds me of when people say "Its a black/white/north/south/ect thing". I ignore it because its ignorance but that doesn't make it go away or solve it.

3. I don't think not laughing makes you defensive. I always call people out for saying something is 'gay' in a derogatory way. Especially for a coach to have said that is really not okay, (s)he could be a role model for some people and that's just encouraging them to say it as well.

4. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

yeah, I generally call my friends out, even the ones i'm not out to, because its immature and offensive. but with the coach, i'm.. intimidated? mainly because as you said, she a role-model for others, but also because i've heard stories that if you don't kiss her ass, she doesn't play you. i guess i'd better listen to shimmi and just grin and bear it

5. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say "That's so gay."

Meh. I don't really care. It's not like anyone will change what they say anyway.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    If you don't feel wanna laugh then don't, be true to yourself