1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sex With Hitler" Add Campain (yea, not a joke...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greggers, Sep 4, 2009.

?

Do you think this Add Campain will work?

1. Yes. (reply to thread with any extra comments)

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No. (reply to thread with any extra comments)

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Greggers

http://advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/09/04/Sex_With_Hitler/

"Public campaigns designed to warn the public about the dangers of AIDS have not shied away from the shocking and salacious. But the latest effort in Germany to preach the gospel of safe sex is employing images of women having sex with tyrants like Josef Stalin, Sadaam Hussein, and, unbelievably, Adolf Hitler."

"Our campaign to mark World AIDS Day 2009 (on December 1) speaks in clear terms: the new slogan is 'AIDS is a mass murderer."

Either this is a horrible idea, or its brilliant, i still have not figured that one out.

2. littledinosaurs

maybe it's just my comp but the link never loads.

3. mattypants

i too am not loading... >_<

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It loaded for me. I have no idea whether this will work, but I'll e-mail it to my dad (who used to work in advertising) and find our what he thinks.

I guess they just want to do whatever it takes. I too cannot decide whether it is horrible or not, but I think it may be... both? :shrug:

This reminded me for some reason of this PSA for using condoms. I can't tell whether its Germain or not, but it seems to take a similar approach. I'm using a link instead of embedding it to try to avoid distracting from the conversation.

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I think it will get people's attention but who would want to have sex after seeing that picture it's disturbing

#5 carrie90, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek: Wow. First off that poster was quite disturbing. I mean I don't care to see what Hitler looked like doing the nasty.

I am unsure of whether or not this is a good idea, true it does get the point across, but at what cost. Surely there will be a hailstorm of controversy that it will stir up. I mean it is a strong and aggressive approach to get the ideas across, so in that aspect it is a good idea for an ad campaign. Safe sex and the education thereof is not something people pick up from the soft ads we see everywhere else, so maybe they did the right thing by choosing something memorable that will hit people in the face with their message.

Edit: I think it would be very ironic for Hitler to be in a gay safe sex ad. Now that would get some controversy flowing.

#6 Black Cat, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. kettleoffish

that ad is French.

I think this campaing could be very effective, it gets the point very strongly across, especially using Hitler's image in Germany. It is certainly graphic and could potentially be controversial, but that's the whole point.

8. pirateninja

If it makes people think twice before they have sex without protection, then I'm all for it.

9. djt820

Fucking stupid.

10. Wow... um. I guess it will work. Actually I'm pretty sure it will work. 'Cause that picture was freakin' creepy.

11. littledinosaurs

PS i would like to say that you needed an unsure option, cause i dunno if it'll work or not.

12. Hoppip

I don't think it's as effective, shocking, nor appalling as it is borderline hilarious. Those Germans must have an exceptional sense of humor.

But seriously—from my perspective, I think its flaw comes from the generation they placed it in. Yes, we all know the names of Stalin and Hitler, and we've heard the countless stories of their brutal tyranny and of the genocides, and we know the stories of concentration camps and of starving laborers, and we know of the brutal killings and massacres and so on; but how much is that a product of our study? All of it. How much a product of our experience? None of it, unless you were around in that time period, and if you were, you probably wouldn't need to worry about condoms so much.

It's ineffective because this generation doesn't, and can't, fully understand the true brutality and inhumanity behind Hitler and company. They've become more of stock-character archetypes of what we call "evil" than actual figures with scarring, real histories.

All of this, of course, is my humble opinion. I just know from my own personal thought, I view Hitler more of a parody figure because I wasn't directly affected by him because I am a child of the 90's, not of the 30's-40's.

EDIT: However, in retrospect, this is an advertisement given to Germans, who of course would have a vastly different interpretation of Hitler than I do as an American, and who would be far more affected by him. But I still stand by my notion that the generation is far too much of a stretch.