1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school and homophobia...I was one of the lucky ones.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

I was just thinking today how lucky I was to go to that school that I went to. Apart from people saying "that's so gay" there was very little homophobia in my grade, if any at all.

One of the most popular kids in my grade was openly gay, and for a project in my grad year we had to make t-shirts in regards to some social issue like racism, homophobia, etc. And I did one that said "homophobia is gay!" on it, with like a collage of men kissing men and women kissing women.

The only negative thing that happened is that one of my friends kind of freaked out and refused to sit next to me in any of our shared classes that day, and the teacher LOVED my shirt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So yeah. Is anyone else in/went to a school that is fairly accepting of homosexuality?

2. RainInAfrica

My school isn't accepting at all, the word 'Fagget' is used a million times a day. :icon_sad:

3. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

well we have a GSA called "the spectrum" and its seems pretty cool. a lot of people signed up the first day of school. granted, they also gave out free candy so.... :slight_smile:

4. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to a catholic school....lolz wats GSA? It's unheard of where I am.

5. RainInAfrica

Same :confused:

6. frostreaver

I think it was quite tolerated in my school.

I'm not out yet but I believe there was a guy in the another class that was pretty much openly gay/bi. He did declare the fact that he liked/wanted to marry (lol) one of my probably straight male classmate. He also has a lot of girl friends and appeared to get along very well with his class.

Its been 2 years but I don't remember my friends making fun of him but they DID make fun of the my classmate who was the target of the gay guy. Its not brought up often though, most people just don't seem to bother.

7. Greggers

Well i went to an evangelical Christian school so when people tried to use pictures of attractive models (full clothed, they were like department store models) on the posters to sell the yearbook the staff FLIPPED out like we were trying to give people wrong sexual thoughts or something. So just think how they would re-act to homosexuality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: NOT good.

My university however is amazing. The lounge that i spend hours each school day in doing homework, chatting with friends, eating lunch, ect. has two GIANT rainbow flags on the wall. As you walk by one of the busy hallways you also will find a giant display for the Pride Network (LGBT group) that includes a big picture of two hot guys kissing with some slogan like "Does this bug you?" or something. I know not too many people are out, but ive never heard of anyone getting gay bashed (i looked up news about the school to check) and everyone just keeps to themselves for the most part.

8. Apocalypte

Uni? Very accepting.

Secondary school? All-girl, Catholic, with nuns. Hell no.

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Hmm mine was kinda 50/50 I never had any terrible Homophobic abuse but it wasn't the most accepting but I never felt in danger or anything

10. jazzrawr

My school isn't very homophobic either. People are pretty chill about it, generally.
    Nobody's given me a problem at all. Anyone who would make a problem out of it would be generally disliked because of it. I feel pretty lucky.

11. xequar

My University was pretty accepting, and it had a pretty active and visible GSA.

My high school, on the other hand... No. There were a couple of students that were suspected of being gay. They frequently got the ever-loving shit beaten out of them.

12. merlov1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, it was almost rampant at my first high school(I went to 2). The second was calmer and I think I was the only out guy there, lol

13. RaeofLite

GSA (for any who don't know) is a Gay Straight Alliance. Where heteros help and do community things in a school or work/town setting to help out LGBT rights and educate people about LGBT.

I didn't have one, and didn't formerly put all the puzzle pieces into my head that I was gay till my graduating year. By then, I went to uni and went through hell, realizing I was different. But people seem more accepting. :slight_smile:

14. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

My high school was a small school and people tended to share all the same views, save for some of the actual good people n the place. i wasnt out in HS, but someone else did say they were gay im pretty sure they beat the crap outta him a couple of times. So i can say that my school was completly homophobic. they didnt even like talking about it in classes or anything. it was considered rude. >.>
    I can tell you i do not miss that place @ all....

15. kettleoffish

It could be a lot worse. I live in a small town, so it's not a very big place, and I am the only gay guy out to everyone there as far as I know (and I would probably hear). I know of few others who are out to a few people, but nobody is as open about it as I am.

I used to get quite a lot of (mostly) verbal abuse at school, but that was mostly because I came out at a very young age and my classmates weren't exactly mature 12 year olds. I'm now friends with quite a few of the people who once picked on me, and I forgive them it, everyone does stupid shit. I hardly get any thing for it anymore. There are a few close minded idiots, same as anywhere but I don't normally have to even say anything to them because my friends get there first :slight_smile:

16. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

^ must have been nice (and a little frightening) to come out at such a young age, had i dont that i wouldve gotten the piss beat outta me everyday. hell id probably be dead right now...

17. Just Adam

my school was openly intollerant.

18. werekid

i hear fag and that is so gay or he/she is so gay

19. hannahhrosee

my school doesn't take you seriously.
    most people say they are gay as a trend.
    *sigh*

20. Mitchell

I'd have to say that I'm one of the lucky ones.

I don't really run into problems, but the teachers I am around are sort of protecting of me in a sense...